Thought of my "prefect" bolt action, what is yours?

What am I doing with it? I want this one in 458 Lott next:
AHR%20458%20Lott%20163.jpg

or
kili-doctari-3-458-lott.jpg

or
3377_5_29-ruger-m77-458-lott.jpg

Krgwy said:
" I googled "perfect bolt action" and it came up with a picture of a Model 70 Wichester Featherweight, (blued with wood stock) in 270 Win"
...And jmr40 ratified this later.

Krgwy, you took the words right out of my mouth. More specifically ca 1995-2000 (CRF but before they lessened the wood) w/ red butt pad--just look that much more classic than the recent thicker/black pad FN's.
A .270 guy for 45 years, I also think the same in 7mm-08 would also be just dandy and the perfect "mountain rifle," and may well be my next gun.

OK, I'll play.

For me, a variation of the classic Mauser 98 pattern. Exact calibre is not that important.....so say something between 7x57 and 35 Whelen. Wait, gee, the 7.92 x 57JS fits that criteria, so let's go with that. As for barrel, a medium weight barrel no longer than 20" (I like carbines). Sights - IRONS - either something similar to classic Express Sights, or my own forward aperture/ rear U-notch design. Finish - classic deep bluing, though I have nothing against parking or any of the more modern finishes. Stock - GOT to be wood - so, let's say walnut, with a nice classic shape, with the forend terminatiing in a nicely shaped schnabel. Action details - classic Mauser 98, with the possible exception of a different (more user friendly) safety.

Hmmm. Well, I guess I've just described my own Yugo M48 sporter carbine. Really, for MY taste, no one has ever come up with anything better. "Old-fashioned" it may be.....but it does for me nicely.

If you want my opinion, I like the Remington 721/722. Choose your caliber for your purpose. I personally want a 222.

Perfect for what?

The first rifle I ever bought was a Savage 110 in 30-06. That was the best $339 I have ever spent. It is light but not too light. It has plenty of power and range without being excessive. It now has a Timney trigger and a 3-9 Leupold. It is also the most accurate rifle I have ever shot.

I own a winchester model 70 in .270, with a 3X9 Burris scope. I killed a ton of deer with it and will never part with it.

Back