those old goose guns... how do they fare today ???

is it legal to shoot them on the ground??? if so, I assume I can't use a rifle for ground birds???
I know of no law that prohibits shooting them on the ground as long as you can do it without killing over your limit with one shot

Rifles are illegal for most migratory game birds under Federal law and most state laws

Many of the techniques I used were considered illegal or unsporting even though the Indians in the old days used them !! On the water or ground is fair game !

Check local and Fed laws both. Local laws can be ..complex. I know of a place where geese can only be taken in certain areas, on certain days of the week, during season.

Taking them on the ground, or in the water is not "sporting". (when you are doing it to survive, sporting doesn't count, but that is more than rare these days)

I don't KNOW of any law that says you can't take them on the ground, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any, somewhere.

I'm pretty sure here in logan county oklahoma, you can't take any migratory bird on the ground. It must be coming in or going out. I'm not a hunter. I could be wrong.

Taking them on the ground, or in the water is not "sporting".
People shoot Turkeys on the ground without reservations

I don't see a difference as long as you're not "flock shooting"

Gads I feel really dumb. I always thought those old bolt actions were awful for wingshooting. I never realized - never dreamed - they were for ground shooting them.

Just realize some guys will set out the few decoys they can carry out in a stubble field,then the lay down camo'd among them.

Ground shoot those "geese",you might kill somebody.

I get subsistence hunting.If you are feeding your family with no better options,there is a different set of rules.At the right time and place,who can judge the old First Nation people for stampeding bison over a cliff?

But,IMO,you shoot turkeys on the ground because that is where turkey hunting is done.

If I can't take a goose on the wing,I'd rather go home skunked.I guess you have to experience the whole thing of goose hunting to get it.Ground shooting them is like cheating at golf.Legal or not,if that's the way you do things..it tells me who you are.

Back