Thompson Contender questions

And speaking of another 5.7- there was a guy in our club who came up with a contender bbl in 5.7 Johnson/Spitfire to go with a M1 Carbine he had chambered for it. I wish I would've picked his brain about that ctg more before he died.

The 5.7mm MMJ /Johnson Spitfire was introduced in 1963 for Johinson Guns modified M1 Carbines. based on the .30 carbine case necked down to .22 cal.

Reported velocity is 3000fps with a 40gr and 2700fps with a 50 gr bullet.
A wildcat round, the rifles were not a long lived commercial success.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the process of necking down the 30 Carbine case even a little, even annealed.
What was it’s operating pressure?

What was it’s operating pressure?

The operating pressure of the 5.7 Spitfire was not included in the information I have, but why would it matter??

Made by necking down .30 Carbine brass, and made for use in converted .30 Carbine rifles I would think that if the pressure limits were anything other than the standard for .30 Carbine, that information would be included in any history of the round.

By the way guys thanks for all the advice, I have checked and made sure the barrels are what they were supposed to be. Now all I gotta do is dig up ammo for this thing.

Zombie thread guys, the OP hasn’t been back to the forum in 2-1/2 years. I hope he never tried to fire factory .307 or .356 Winchester ammunition in his Contender, both are loaded to 52,000 CUP, an unsafe pressure in those cases for use in the Contender.

If you do find yourself getting hooked on the T/C Contenders, - the .222 Remington is the worst barrel you can buy, - that cartridge just doesn't do well in a Contender, ..just saying.

222 RMI

Have Mike rechamber a RIFLE barrel for ya'
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=79&
222-RMI.jpg

It's shoots like a dream!

222 was a highly regarded Contender chambering at one time even in a 10” barrel. 223, not so much, it needed a 14” barrel.

For a long time I could never figure out why Remington created the .221 Fireball (other than to sell another Remington cartridge) until I got a 10" .222 Contender and discovered that the .221 holds all the powder you can burn in a 10" barrel (which is what the Rem XP-100 had).

With a 10" .222 you get the same velocity you get from a 10" .221, but your're burning (or blowing out of the barrel) several grains more powder to do it.

With a longer barrel you can get full efficiency from the .222 capacity, but that doesn't mean the 10" Contender is useless or in any way bad, its just not capable of sending a slug out as fast as it could with a longer barrel.

Show me any cartridge that doesn't fit that description and I'll tip my hat to you! ;)

Have the new smith check the rear faceod the aaction, [where the case head rest against, the G1 [original Contender are pressurebase for the 30/30 case presussures.

Any tind different may cause cracking the the action.

Hence the revised G2 frame and the Encore?

Gook lock and enjoy, any barrel byouhght second hand, must be inspected visually and as to chambers cut concentricly and no "chatter marks" on the chamber walls.

As note above most barrels like thier own frame, especially the rifle barrels!

Back