Thompson Center Compass compared to other budget rifles?

They make excellent beater rifles. They were recalled becausd of faulty safeties though so make sure yours is good to go by checking serial number s

I just posted this on the other thread in case anyone missed it.

I have about 2 boxes of Hornady 150s through my Compass 30/06. After the trigger was adjusted and sighted in off of a barrel with no real rest i was hitting a 10 inch gong at 300 yards. I put a Vortex 3x9 crossfire II on it.
The rifle says Smith &Wesson on the receiver. I believe they are a step above theSavage and the Remington 780 or whatever the Remington budget rifle is.. I had a Rem 770 that while accurate enough was the clunkiest piece of garbage around. I have minimal experience with the American.
The magazine on the compass is not finnicky and the bolt is smooth on extraction but can fetch on closing a bit. with some work the trigger can be pretty damn good also. I am getting what I need to reload for it now so no real accuracy tests yet but it looks promising. The stock while cheap is totally free floated and pillar bedded and does what it needs to do. I am going to try some Hornady 178 or heavier ELD-M and some 170+SMK. Hope to make this a 500 yard powerline gun with the Hornady 175 ELD hunting bullet. Time will tell thats all I got for ya.
Oh I got this on Black friday for 190 bucks with rebate and filling out a dicks credit app and the sale.

I would like to hear from others that have more range time on this as well.

AL

Budget rifle

I bought a Mossberg Patriot in 300 win mag this past year and I am very partial to it.I'm not prone to getting wood stocks but fit and finish look very nice and these things are said to be one of the best if not the best in class for accuracy.

I purchased a Compass a couple of months ago because it was a deal I couldn't pass up, even before the rebate. The first 3 shots out of the rifle after I mounted the scope came in at 1.1 inches at 100 yards. The next 2 rounds slightly increased the group to 1.2 inches. Subsequent groups tightened up slightly until I started shooting off a bipod. That was with 308 Win reloads where I didn't sort the brass. I have every confidence that I can come up with a load that easily shoots under an inch. I haven't made any long range hunting shots with it yet, but at 85 yards, I can attest that it puts the shot where you need it on white tails.

I don't do Rugers, so I can't compare to the American. I do, however, own a Savage Axis in 243 that I loan to nephews and nieces, and cousins when they come to visit and hunt. The Compass is a much nicer rifle all around. My hunting buddy has a Howa in 308 Win. It is a much nicer looking rifle, but he struggles with accuracy; it's accurate enough for big game at reasonable ranges, but he won't be making any 500+ yard kills with it.

The Compass won't be taking the place of my CZ550 any time soon. The plastic stock is way too flimsy to remain accurate when loading tension on the bipod legs for one thing. But, it makes a great, lightweight truck gun that is loaded with features. Maybe someone who has an American can compare and contrast with this list:

- 2 piece scope mounts are included
- threaded muzzle for brakes or cans, and includes thread protector
- 3 position safety like the Winchester Model 70
- bolt release on the left of the receiver as seen on many custom Remington 700s
- fully adjustable trigger
- 3 lug bolt head for 60 degree throw
- very easy bolt disassembly for interior cleaning and maintenance
- 5 round rotary detachable box magazine
- Guaranteed moa accuracy with premium ammo

Last edited:
I'm new to this forum... in fact it is the first forum I have ever joined. But this thread caught my attention and I wanted to reply.

I bought (2) of my sons Ruger American's in 30-06 when they turned 16. Good rifles, no issues. I have not found a load (factory) that will shoot MOA in them. Close, but not quite MOA. But they shoot well enough for hunting which was their purpose. Very smooth rifles. I read some others on here that shoot incredibly good groups with their American's. I have not reloaded but plan on doing that soon (have all the stuff, just no space for it at this time). I have not purchased an American for myself, and probably won't. Why? Because I bought the Thompson Center Venture some years ago and have not looked back. I have a 204, 223, and 308. Each of these shoot sub MOA with premium ammo (Federal Premium) and the .204 and .223 shoot it with regular ammo. I have recently acquired a 280 Rem. and a 300 WM in the Venture. I suspect, based on my past experience, they will shoot just as well as my first 3. I do not have experience with the Compass model, or the Savage or Howa. Just sharing my experience with the two I do have some time invested in. The Ruger fits me a little better (slightly longer length of pull), but I'll take the Venture due to it's performance.

Ive got a Compass in 243. My son and I like to shoot diet sodas at 220 yds to watch them blow up with 90 gr. Accubonds. My son is 9 yrs old. He says this rifle makes it easy. VX3i 10X scope. Stock is a softer plastic seemingly, so if there was a aftermarket, that would be nice. But as-is great shooting rifle.

Boyds has some options for the Compass rifles. No 1st hand experience, but lots of Savage owners love the Boyds as a replacement for their tupperware stocks.

Absolutely love mine

Late to the party here, but for anyone who wanders by...

I picked mine up with the rebate and mounted a Burris Fullfield II. Out of the box without any break in period (I know, I'm a sinner), the rifle shot .5 MOA with match ammo (Hornady ELD-M) and stayed sub-MOA at 200 yards with hunting rounds (Hornady American Whitetail). Be sure to grab a few different boxes, though, as my 6.5 Creedmoor HATED Federal Fusion 140 grain loads. Overall, I couldn't be happier.

To those worried about the stock: yes, it is pretty cheap, but the whole point of this price range of guns is to function and nothing else. It doesn't look nice, the stock sounds hollow when you knock on it, and it will certainly flex when you push on the foreend, but who cares if it shoots sub MOA? To put this in perspective, I've got a beautiful Browning A5 in glossy walnut - I love to look at it, but that's all I do with it. I just look at it because I don't want to blemish that perfect finish. I wouldn't bat an eye if my compass gets muddy, scratched, and abused. In fact, I welcome it, and that's why the cheap stock doesn't scare me away at all. It's performance on a budget.

As other have said, if it really bothers you, pick this gun up and drop another $100 on an aftermarket stock. You'll still be better off by some $300 - 400 than if you went with a more established manufacturer and model with the same performance. I wish my $800 Remington 700 shot like my $220 Compass does. For another $10 (shipped) you can order an aftermarket trigger spring to drop the pull weight to the light side of hunting safe all the way down to a 2 pound target trigger.

Last edited:
I did alot of research on the compass, and ordered one in 6.5 cm before they went on sale at Dick's. When I went to shoot it the first time I was happy to see a nice triangle 3/4"group at 100 using 129gr.hornady whitetail ammo. I am not the best shot around and it was probably the best group I have had in a long time. Can't wait to try it with match loads. Overall it seems like a well designed rifle. I liked it so much I bought one in 308. ,before the sale ended. They are packed with good features.

I picked up a 243 while the rebate was on. I’ve only fired it about 20 times but initial accuracy results are promising. It certainly seems worth the $200ish I paid for it.

It feels more substantial than the Savage Axis, but I don’t own one so that’s not based on actual use. The threaded barrel is a plus but the lack of a LH version makes the American or Axis a better choice for me as a field rifle.

I bought it to use it with a silencer but haven’t gotten around to trying that yet.

My brother has a axis in 3006 , I liked the feel of the stock on the axis a little more,but the compass feels a bit more stiff. But when it gets colder up here in n.y., the plastic stocks feel like they are frozen. Buy the way,his axis shot a 5/8" group with two touching, but he is a better shooter than I am.

Boyds has some options for the Compass rifles. No 1st hand experience, but lots of Savage owners love the Boyds as a replacement for their tupperware stocks.

The TC Compass comes pillar bedded. It’s tolerable, slightly flexible, but very usable.

The option is there but I see limited reason to use it and replace with Boyd’s unless:

1) you’re a good enough shot to really complain about the flex under bipod load, but not a good enough shooter to compensate for that by consistently flexing the flexible stock.

2) you are that good and still pushing the limit and should just use a much better gun altogether why are you trying so hard to prove you can with the TC

3) you just can’t tolerate plastic and need wood and should have just bought a kimber or CZ

I ft into category 1 I think, though maybe on the lower end of it, I can tell it’s flexing but pretty sure it’s not my biggest issue

This is my gun, I really like it, still getting it setup and used to it, but very glad I picked it over the other options.

233021d7f5187173c1474d4df386f9f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA

I have no experience with the T/C but with all the entry level price point rifles that i do have some time on, the Ruger American is tops IMHO. Hard to get that much rifle for under $400.

I know the thread is older but for the $200 I paid at $275 -$75 rebate it’s really hard to argue that point, the 5R rifling of the TC is a standout feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA

Just got lucky!

Found the Venture in 270 Winchester last night on Sportsman's Guide for $213 before the $75 dollar rebate and free shipping. They charge a $5 transfer fee so my out the door price was $143. Probably should have bought two.:D

Back