Thompson Center .50 Hawken Twist Rate

Many good options !!!

what about R.E.A.L bullets?
Personally, I never cared much for the R.E.A.L. conicals and it's entirely possible that I did not give them a fair chance. I've run a number of different conicals and even though the Maxi-Balls were easier to work with, they still did not give me good performance. For a hunter the Maxi-Hunters were much better and so were the Hornady Great Plaines. ..... ;)

My current choice is a .45 Mini Lyman and it is coming in very nicely. It's still is a good hunter and performs well at punching paper. ... :)

Most of the time I just enjoy shooting PRB's and enjoy my range-time ..... :cool:

Be Safe !!!

hawkins 50 cal

Twist as said is 1-48.gun is made for 370 gr maxi -ball not MAXI-HUNTERS..Stay with maxi-ball 370.use up to 75 grs of 2 ft and 70 grs of 3 f..If you groups open up you are too hot ...On to rb,i use 90 grs of 3f with .018 patch and bore button for deer when i want..deadly........

I an trying 348 powerbelt as maxi-ball 370 gr is almost as expensive..In cold the maxi-ball bore butter gets cold and its harder to use on bullets ..Powerbelts are a lot easier to use ..

will know how the 348 pb group in spring if they do group well I am chainging to pb for buck hunting ...

YOU WILL NOT GO WRONG IF YOU LISTEN TO MY ADVICE FOR 45 YEARS WITH ONLY HAWKENS FLINTLOCK, USE 370 GR MAXI-BALL AND YOU WILL CUT HOLES IN TARGET IF ITS NOT HOT LOAD...

Last edited:
I have found a .18 patch, bore butter lubed and 100 gr 2f to be superbly accurate in a .54 Cal 1:48 bore, both flint and cap. Although I doubt if a 26-28 inch tube can burn this much powder efficiently for a PRB load, it is a very accurate load. But all guns are differant.

But as a hunting load, which is the main purpose of my BP shooting, I have found loading even a second shot with this load too difficult to be practical FOR HUNTING.

For the hunt I have settled on 75 gr FFF, a .530 ball and a .10 patch lubed with 50/50 Ballistol water mix allowed to dry so the water evaporates. It is accurate enough for deer hunting and I can get at least a half dozen shots w/o swabbing the bore, maybe more but I haven't tried it.

BTW, I know this load is not the most efficient but it achieves a balance of adequate enough power for deer,accuracy (2" at 50 yards) and ease of loading for follow up shots if needed. Again, all guns seem to prefer something different.

Back