This will ruin a firing range day

Dumb question....

Were there any pressure signs on either primer (totally flat/expanded pocket), or case head (ejector cutout/brass flow/smear?)

mehavey, the shots before this one were no issue. Case was looking good. Primers looked ok. This primer pierced. Case is hard to even tell it is a Nosler case. Bolt was sticky and really rough to open. Uncle Nick makes some sense I guess because I used the Hogdon specs for a 139 grain bullet.

Both the brass and the primer seem to be giving you high-pressure signs. When I ran the 47-grain load in GRT, it was predicting close to 70,000 psi. Not quite in the proof range, but high enough to matter to a faulty case.

Well I assume it had to happen sooner or later. Thank God all my body parts are intact. Gone back to imr 4350 and it’s exceptional load of 43.5 grains. According to chrograph when it works and doesn’t give errors I’m good with enough energy at 400 yards to take larger game.

I'm just glad You and Mr. Wendy are ok! ;)

Yeah, 50gr of anything in the 4350 class is WAY too much in the 7mm-08!
RL19, might be ok, but i don't reccomend it for the 140gr class of bullets.

If i recall correctly, i was in the 46gr range with IMR4350 & 140gr bullet weight.
But i had reamed mine to AI & had a fairly long freebore (throat).
I was seating to 2.90" and still had 0.020" off the lands.
6,000+ rounds will do that. Lol

I'll look around, i may have some PPU cases.
For being "cheap" cases, i have had very good performance with these in multiple cartridges.
My 7mm-08AI was giving me 6fps ES, and 2fps SD with the PPU cases & Alliant PP2000MR.

As for using the Accubond for larger game.
IF your rifle likes them, it really likes them. IF it doesn't, it really doesn't.
I wanted my rifles to like them. They did not.
Tried different powders, different seating depths, nothing would get them to group decently.
Even though they are the same shape, the Ballistic Tips were extremely easy to get to shoot well.
And they hold together very well.
I get pass throughs on PA white tail.
People use them with good success on elk.

Again, glad your both safe!

Last edited:
I'd go with Unclenick. That brass head shows high pressure. I had a similar failure many years ago with my 6.5-06. The first shot did the same thing. We contacted ER Shaw and they said the rifle was throated for 100gr instead of the 140s I was using. Maybe a tight throat? I bought a Hornady OAL tool and it has been priceless.

Yeah....
They can probably tell you the freebore that is on the side of the reamer they used.

What weight bullet you chose to use is up to you.
It's on you if you ran a hot load.

Back