This morning's brain twister

heard some one quote "bryan litz, my bullets don't go to sleep until 200 yards" not sure he said that but that was how it was quoted to me.
at any rate, yes i have found greater accuracy at longer distance on several combinations

not the least of which was 105A-Max out of 243-win i could get .75 MoA at 853yds but only about .95 MoA at 100yds.

it was repeatable so i assume it was like the above quote.

There's a flip side to the testing at longer distances--it's easy to assume a load tested at 100 yds will be good at longer distances--but I have stumbled on magic unicorn loads at 100 yds that shot cloverleaf bugholes and then went apart not much further out.

Years ago when I used to shoot at the base range at Quantico I’d always work up loads at 100 yds. Once I’d dialed a load in I’d shoot clays on the 300yd berm to really dial in my scope. Some loads you couldn’t miss at 300, and some you could burn up 40-50 rounds trying to dial in and still not do better than maybe 50% hits.

wasted opportunity

I've been getting some good results with Hornady's 134 eldm. Today there is hardly any wind--5 mph +/- which is exceedingly rare here, so I rushed a batch of cartridges together certain that if I did my part I could group sub .3 MOA. Got all set up at the range excited to get going and--the very first cartridge jammed upon trying to close the bolt. Couldn't figure out why since I thought I was using the same settings on my dies as in the previous days. Turns out when using the 25 WSSM crimp die (which has a different case body shoulder size) I came down a little too far and pushed a ring out at the shoulder/case body junction. I could force the bolt closed on all but one of the cartridges (I prepared 6). Still shot OK--but I know it can do a lot better. Moral of the story--don't rush it--that's when mistakes are made.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 55.2 n560 134 eldm 25PRC.jpg
    55.2 n560 134 eldm 25PRC.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 31
Back