This looks like something I need for home defense

I guess famous SEAL Patches Watson was just a fool when he chopped the buttstock on his Ithaca Model 37 and it became his favored weapon in Vietnam.
His very shotgun resides in the SEAL museum. He a spreader choke and #4 Buck (BTW, another choice the current dogma criticizes).
http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1583
In fact, all the old timers must have been pretty dumb, since they began chopping stocks and barrels almost as soon as shotguns were invented. Handygun and AutoBurglar shotgun pistols were popular back in the day.
Bonnie and Clyde were known to be dangerous with their chopped Remington Model 11's.

Likewise the US Marshals, who often packed chopped Witness Protection 870's.

And the police deptments in several large cities who issued factory PGO Model 37's to detectives.

Nobody doubts that a Buttstock is good to have. But there are times when a really short shotgun is also a good thing to have. They are not nearly as hard to shoot well as is claimed, even with the standard pistol grip, and birdshead is even easier to master. Particularly at close range HD distances.

I always shot full power buck or slug in mine. I'm certain that today's low recoil loads would be even easier to shoot PGO.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly my friend carried a pistol grip mossberg 500 in Iraq or Afghanistan while riding in trucks.

birdshead grip as pictured makes it much easier to shoot than the standard pistol grips. I had one on my Mossberg 500 for a few years

I believe the principle of such an grip is similar to the plow handle grip of an Pietta SAA 1873 revolver.
Those oldtimers knew something about physics.
The most comfortable revolver handle and design I ever handled is an SAA revolver. In 357 mag. How the thing would handle in an 500 magnum caliber I do not know.
This revolver handle supposed to turn in the hand downwards as the muzzle flips up. And that is exactly what it does at least in my hand and I never grip firmly the revolver. That downward movement takes almost all recoil out of the weapon. Genius design!

As well this shotgun handle is simply a copy of the old pirate style antique flintlock pistols. Similar overall length as well.
I would not be surprised if that kind of grip would be actually comfortable. Seems it is designed to follow along the arms movement back and if the recoil is to steep just slip backwards in the hand.

Last edited:
Precisely. It feels the same as shooting a 12ga from the low ready/under shoulder position.
Plus, it makes particular sense on the Mossberg, as it doesn't impede use of the top mounted safety.

Back