This looks like something I need for home defense

If you haven't tried a pistol grip only shotgun, doing so might change your mind.
One with a shortened stock might be preferred.

Will this really be practical?

I have an 20 ga Special Purpose with an adjustable stock and cylinder bore. It can kick already with an stock pretty much.
I wonder how much this will kick or be accurate.

50659-catalog.jpg

Source of picture: https://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-6-shot-50659/

I have a PGO shotgun and absolutely love it.

I think a big determining factor is what round you want to use for HD.

If you only believe in heavier loads(00 buck for example) then I would probably keep a stock on the shotgun.

I personally trust #6 shot for HD and it is pretty manageable. I am able to actually aim the shotgun and not just fire from the hip. I also am able to work the action quickly and do not lose much time although I probably would with a heavier load.

I have a maverick 88 with a hogue tamer grip. I will admit my hand is a bit sore the next day if I'm doing a lot of shooting with it. Lots of fun though!

Not legally when you figure in the cost of the stamp.

Depends on which country......Guy is from South America

I have a PGO shotgun and absolutely love it.

Glad you do; I had one - fired a few shots - and then promptly ordered a regular stock.

The birdshead grip as pictured makes it much easier to shoot than the standard pistol grips. I had one on my Mossberg 500 for a few years.
All I ever shot was full power buck or slug, and I got pretty good with it.

Currently, that shotgun has a 12" lop Hogue stock on it.

Inside of a house, shot doesn't spread more than a hand's breadth.

The shotgun will still need to be aimed, which might be difficult with such a firearm.

I wonder how much this will kick or be accurate.

It will be as accurate as any other Mossy 12ga with a similar barrel. Accuracy really isn't the issue. Shootability is the issue. What can you actually hit with such a design?

From what I have seen, most people are poor shooters with this sort of pistol setup. Either they loose speed or they lose accuracy. No doubt it can be made to work with sufficient practice, but most people won't put in the time to become skilled with this sort of platform.

With the birdshead grip equipped Mossberg, I could easily put a slug or buckshot pattern on a torso target at 25yds, and quickly put a followup shot on it...what more do you need?

I would recommend buying the shotgun you like but with a full stock on it, buying a the pistol grip you want and testing it out. If you hate it you're only out about $50 or so and you switch back to the stock. The only problem with that is you'll have to keep the barrel 18.5 inches or more unless you're sure you're not putting a stock back on it.

The gun pictured does not require a tax stamp.
One could build one pretty cheaply.

Nope. According to the ATF letter, the receiver can never have had a shoulder stock on it. Who sells shotgun receivers?

Keep in mind that the Mossberg "Shockwave" shotgun is NOT classified as an NFA controlled weapon.

It has a 14" barrel and the overall length is over 26".

Lots of discussion on this, but Mossberg is selling this configuration now from the factory.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2017/01/mossberg-compact-cruiser/#mossberg-compact-cruiser-2

for more info about the concept and why it is legal:

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

My personal view is I am staying as far as possible away from this. But I own SBS' legally so its somewhat a moot point for me.

Rob

I have no intensions of building or possessing such a piece. I didn't consider the legality. Modify at your own risk.

If you already have a 870 or 500, you can buy the grip for about $25. If you don't like it, you can sell it for most of your money back.

Back