This Colt - any info?

If there is another engraved 1889 with thumb rest grips, I would be surprised. There is just nothing to go by to set a dollar value.

No "appraisal" not backed by a cash offer means anything.
If you put it on auction, you will know its value in that place that day. And it will be gone. Do you mean to liquidate it or just have a brag number?

No "appraisal" not backed by a cash offer means anything.
If you put it on auction, you will know its value in that place that day. And it will be gone. Do you mean to liquidate it or just have a brag number?

Sure Jim. This one belongs to a friend who hoped it was a valuable collector's item. That not being the case he just wanted to know its value, a ballpark figure.

Last edited:
Again, all the factors I listed above come into play.
It's near impossible to set any value on such a non-standard gun.

For a New Army & Navy model to have much value it has to be working and in pretty good shape.

My Blue Book of Gun Values is out of date, but general numbers for a standard blued model are as follows. This doesn't take into affect the plated finish or the engraving.
The Blue Book establishes ball park values based on the percentage of remaining ORIGINAL finish, so that's were the difficulty comes in with this gun.
The following values are for the New Navy Model.
There were 31,000 made for the Navy and commercial sales between 1889 and 1895.

10%--$300
20%--$350
30%--$425
40%--$500
50%--$600
60%--$700
70%--$850
80%--$1,050
90%--$1,350

Back