This ammo doesn't seem right, need clarification

The factory sizing of the brass might be a bit smallish or under spec and the bullets are pushing the brass back out to fit. The bulge provides a step or shoulder so no bullets should get pushed back.

In handloading, it's a common sight.

I used to handload 9 mm and the sizing dies I had really squeezed down the used brass. In seating the bullets, a bulge always occurred but they always fed and fired. And as I said, I didn't worry about bullet push-back.

Why would one consider using ammo that has such an obvious defect? Just to save some money?
Because, more than likely, it's cosmetic.

My truck has a nasty gash in the fiberglass bed side, from a mistake that my wife made. ...Doesn't make the truck function improperly. It's just cosmetic.

Hmm, I'm familiar with the bulge, but I've never seen one out of round like that.

I would almost say shoot it. I don't think it would be safety issue so long as it passes the plunk test. Accuracy, OTOH, might be iffy... Depending on the type of accuracy you seek. Or... If could shoot just fine.

I did the plunk test and the rounds fit in the barrel.

So I took ammo to the range to try it out with my Springfield XD .45. Out of 200 rounds I had one failure to fire, and three times the slide would not lock back after the last round was fired. I've never had any failure to fires out of this gun before, nor has the slide ever not locked to the rear after the last round (I made sure I was not touching the slide stop lever with my grip after this happened once).

Fiocchi contacted me and is going to send me a label to send the ammo back for inspection and replacement.

Last edited:
Back