This ammo doesn't seem right, need clarification

jargar

Inactive
Hey guys,

I recently purchased 1000 rounds of .45 ACP Fiocchi ammo and I am seeing a bulge in the case where the bullet rests. The bullet seems to be protruding from the case, only on one side though. I have bought this same ammo before and have not seen this, I've always seen the bullets seated properly.

Id say 90%+ of the rounds I got are like this, some are much worse than others. This concerns me as I use this ammo in my nightstand pistol.

What affect can this ammo have on my gun? Will I have issues with this ammo? It just seems not right and defective.

I've attached some pics.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Attachments

• Bullet1.jpg
    Bullet1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Bullet2.jpg
    Bullet2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 176
You should see a gentle swell evenly around the case, simply the bullet being pressed in. We all know this. If it's bulging to one side of the case as you say, I would think the bullet or the case was canted in the reloading process. Your pics have some shadow, so it's hard to see the entire circumference of the case. Contact Fiocchi with the Lot#'s and see what they say, 1000 rounds is a lot of coin out of your pocket if there is a potential safety issue.

Snyper, I am worried that it would not chamber as it should, or have ejection problems. I am not sure what else I should be worried about, but to me right now the ammo doesn’t feel usable.

Shuvelrider, I uploaded a new pic for you to see more clearly how the bulge is only on one side..there’s also some other nastiness on the actual bullet itself there as well (straight from box). Also wouldn’t it just be the loading process instead of reloading process? I didn’t buy reloaded ammo (as far as I know)

Aguila Blanca – I do not have access to a micrometer or caliper. I wish I could tell you exact measurements, but check out the new picture I uploaded here, it’s a little easier to see.

FrankenMauser can you explain why not perfect?

Thanks for all your replies so far

Attachments

• Bullet3.jpg
    Bullet3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 137
It looks to me like the bullets were not centered and straight in the case and somehow got pressed in while significantly canted.

But that's just a guess.

Snyper, I am worried that it would not chamber as it should, or have ejection problems. I am not sure what else I should be worried about, but to me right now the ammo doesn’t feel usable.

Remove your barrel, drop some rounds in the chamber and see if they fit properly.

It's called a "plunk test"

http://www.bing.com/search?q=plunk+...0-0&sk=&cvid=B5A253EB0DCD47C5A2276CA83B98A524

If they pass that test, fire a couple of mags to see if they feed.
I think it's mostly cosmetic.

FrankenMauser can you explain why not perfect?
The ammunition was assembled with tooling that had an issue in/at the bullet seating station, resulting in the bullets being seated at a slight angle; and/or using casings that have thinner walls on one side.

The result is a bulge on one side, and not the other.
However, it is not an uncommon occurrence, and most instances in which this primarily-cosmetic issue is encountered still have the ammunition within dimensional specifications.

It looks funky, but it should work just fine.

If it feeds and chambers, it will be fine.
Once fired, the casings will be normal. There will be no ejection issues.

Either those you bought it from or the manufacturer will probably exchange it.
These days, internet complaints are not good for business.

That's unusual for Fiocchi. I've had nothing but good luck with their ammo. Even if it's safe it makes me wonder how accurate it could (not) be.

I think the normal spec is 0.480 +or- 0.010. There is a little wiggle room (but not much) and is normal. Your pictures look somewhat abnormal may be true but I would try a few rounds and see how the work but that is me. If you are uncomfortable with using them contact the manufacturer for a resolution.

Thanks for the better pic, that is odd looking. I did use the wrong term of "reloading" in reference to this, I pretty much roll my own ammo so that term is the first thing that came to mind. That aside, over the years I've not seen any factory ammo that was offset like that. Depending on the firearm/manufacturer, I'd be worried about a chamber with a tighter tolerance. That could lead to a pressure issue, which of course brings safety to mind. I have made occasional mistakes at the reloading bench, those get scrapped. In your case, I would urge refund/replacement for peace of mind. Hope this helps.

I've not paid attention to the cases, but I have seen some with a bulge like that all the way around.

I used to dig my fired bullets up, there were more than a few of my 9mm that only showed the rifling marks on 1/2 of the bullet, like it touched nothing. I wonder if it's an out of round bullet in those cases?

Not at all uncommon to see a slight bulge from the bullet, particularly if it's seated at a bit of an angle, but from the photos yours appears to have more of a bulge than I've typically seen. I don't think it's a big deal, though - if they chamber they'll shoot OK, though perhaps not with the best possible accuracy - just plenty good enough for the vast majority of us. Definitely not a safety issue.

Back