Thinking of trading my XD9 for a revolver, am I crazy?

sbaker10

It's not that I don't like the XD, it's a perfect example of what it should be, a very reliable high capacity hand gun, but it's too chunky for me to consider carrying later, so effectively it's my nightstand gun and target pistol, when target shooting I just don't find myself enjoying it or being as accurate as with heavier steel guns and for a nightstand gun unless I am woken up by my door being kicked in my ar 15 is just a few feet away.

The advantages I can see in a revolver is better accuracy, at least for me personally, a wider range of loads and the fact it doesn't throw my brass everywhere, I shoot in the woods so I'm lucky to find one shell out of a whole box with the 9.

But am I missing a good reason to keep it? Obviously I would prefer to buy the revolver outright but when you factor in ammo prices I can only afford to feed one,

The GP is a great gun. If you can't warm up to the XD, I say go for it.

My only other thought is that if you decided to carry and you felt the XD was too chunky, the GP isn't any less chunky.

I've shot an XD (the XDs actually so not the same as your gun) and a GP100, and I know for me I would go with the GP, for some reason I just don't care for XD's (love other poly-frames) and GP's sit very well in my hand (it is on my list of guns-to-buy).

The GP is a versatile gun in a versatile caliber.

Obviously MY reasons for liking one better than the other may not be your reasons, but I would take the revolver over the XD in this case.

However, I will ask: would you carry a GP100 if the XD is too chunky? You mentioned that as one of your concerns.

Last edited:
It's not that I don't like the XD, it's a perfect example of what it should be, a very reliable high capacity hand gun, but it's too chunky for me to consider carrying later, so effectively it's my nightstand gun and target pistol, when target shooting I just don't find myself enjoying it or being as accurate as with heavier steel guns and for a nightstand gun unless I am woken up by my door being kicked in my ar 15 is just a few feet away.

The advantages I can see in a revolver is better accuracy, at least for me personally, a wider range of loads and the fact it doesn't throw my brass everywhere, I shoot in the woods so I'm lucky to find one shell out of a whole box with the 9.

But am I missing a good reason to keep it? Obviously I would prefer to buy the revolver outright but when you factor in ammo prices I can only afford to feed one,

It's not a rare gun, or one with historical or family significance. They're not hard to find if you want to replace it.

If you're concerned about recovering brass, you're probably a handloader.

I'd say, go for it. The XD should get you most of the way to the price of a GP100.

I dont handload yet, I intend to however, I don't really plan to carry either one I just meant in my mind the XD is not really easy to carry either.

The Ruger SP101 is a bit easier to carry, if you can live with having 5 rounds of 357. You can get them in a 6 shooter if you like the 327 round.

I have the SP101, but usually carry a Ruger SR9C.

If you want a revolver to CC, then look more towards the 5 shot S&W J frames or Ruger SP101 with barrel of approx 2" or less.
Accuracy wise -- hmmm.. for accuracy, I would look at revolvers with 4" barrel or longer (K-Frame or bigger). The short ones may be capable but it would be more difficult to be accurate with the snubs than with the longer barrels. A Stainless 4" GP100 with adjustable sights would be nice.
==============
My S&W model 15 with 4" barrel is just as accurate as my 5" and 6" revolvers when benched. At 15 yards or less, the 2" diff is not significant but at 25 yards, the extra length helps.
==============
Also the 6" S&W K-frame feels OK but the 5" or 6" L-frame usually feels to front heavy to me.
==============

If you decide on going the revolver route, you might consider looking for a Ruger Security Six. They can be found in very good condition for still less than a GP100. I personally would take a security six any day over the GP100. Not that there's anything wrong with the GP100, it'll take the hottest rounds all day long and beg for more.

Its just I find the Six Series ( or s&w model 19) size frames to be perfect for the 357 mag. cartridge. Plenty strong, but slimmer and lighter which for me is a big plus in a CC gun.

Oh, and of course your not crazy. Revolvers have a unique charm that you just can't get from a semi-auto pistol.

When I see how well regarded the S&W model 19 is, kind of makes me happy that it is the only revolver I own. Still unfired but will remedy that this coming Thursday.:D

If your real concern is a carry gun, only one of these three reasons makes any sense in that context. Be careful that you aren't trying to optimize the wrong end of the problem.

Just do what you want to do. It's not a life altering decision. If you find later you don't like the GP, sell it or trade it, and get something else.

Just to clarify I am NOT looking for a carry gun I was simply saying I wasn't going to be trading a carry gun for a non carry

I dont handload yet, I intend to however, I don't really plan to carry either one
The .38spl/.357mag is one heck of a great place to start reloading/handloading.
With the high prices of .357mag ammo, you recoup your initial investment a lot quicker than you would with a 9x19.

Also , with the insane price of .22lr these days, the .38spl looks like a real bargain.

If you're not happy with the XD trade for something you like, It's really no more complicated than that.

Back