Thinking of buying "Tupperware" (oh the horror!)

True enough Tall ball, and my M15-3 was one of them, but I think its time to make the switch. I often borrow a gun, (usually a Glock or an XD, but also Berettas, Sigs, H&K...sometimes my P3AT just to run through the motions) and beforw I picked up that cheap Smith I was an auto guy. My carry guns back then were a Hi-power and a Star M-43 Fire star. I did not own a revolver for years, save for my SBH. The only reason I bought the Smith was I needed a DA gun and there were still tons of used K-frames out there, and tons of duty gear laying around in pawn shops. Later I bought the GP-100 to scope out and hunt with (never did), but as great guns do they grew on me. That said, more ammo on board isn't a bad thing as long as the shooter does his part.

Glock makes a good gun,and the 10mm is a great and versatile round, though I do wish the it was supported more by other poly pistol companies. Seems like Glock and Tanfoglio are the only ones really interested in supporting it. The ability to shoot anything from fast 135gr hollowpoints up to the hot Buffalo Bore 200gr "Outdoorsman" loads really appeals to me, as does the higher capacity.

I know my guns, but sometimes a sounding board helps make up my mind. Thanks guys.

Just get a Glock and be done with it. I'd suggest a 19, but any are fine. One of the best bets used too. Can't break 'em and Glock will rebuild anything you send in for repair at no cost. Other than a busted frame, even then the cost is minimal.

A G19 or 17 would be very high on the list...if I would never hunt with it. I have no qualms with the 9mm, and respect it for the near-.357 it is, but 10mm power & longer sight radius are boons for my purposes. The 10mm is a deer caliber all day, without being excessive for the street. I really like that. Remember, although I have a few specialized tools, this gun must do it all like my 6" GP does now. The 9 is a great round, and the G-19 a great gun, but I'm trying not to step down in power and versatility.

This won't be my CCW gun, nor my most powerful handgun, what it will be is my go-to gun for most general purpose handgun duties. I've shot a G17 set up with the sights I intend, and they were great for ringing steel at longer yardage (150) but visible enough to be fast up close.

My 3" GP100 is often my goto HD weapon, and I have CCW'd it also. It seems to have the magical ability to hit whatever I aim at.
That said, I also have a Model 15-3. Mine was also a cheap gun show pick up...looks good, but was refinished. Paid $175.
The first time I shot it was a revelation. It truly is the Combat Masterpiece.
I carried it IWB with the small PC magnas and T-grip.
Without a doubt...if it stopped working, I'd get it fixed. As for your bulged barrel, hunt down a new one.

amd6547,

The bulge didn't seem to hurt it much, and I do intend to get the gun fixed. Combat Masterpiece is right, especially for it's day and age. I loved it and will bring it back into usable condition. Even with the damaged barrel it has been a 3"/75' shooter, and it's well worn double action trigger is fantastic. It's retired as a working gun, but still has many carry days left in it. I love having it riding my hip in the winter with a couple speed loaders in my pocket.

I already covered what was wrong with it. I'll get around to fixing it, but not right away.;)

As far as "40" goes I covered that, too. It isn't the age its the mileage. I'm packing a few old...and not so old...injuries. I ain't old by any means, but sore is sore.:(
I might need a vacation more than anything.

It's funny, this week I just picked up a nice 4" S&W Model 15, I carried one of these years ago back in my Air Force SP days, it's like déjà vu all over again! I like wheelguns & autopistols and I've been shooting a Gen3 Glock 17 for over 6 years. I also have a Gen4 Glock 21 that shoots everything I load it with beautifully. People can say anything they want about a "G", but they can't tell me that mine don't work for me.

I'm not a fanboy for any gun...well maybe a little but on the FN GP35/BHP...but I DO have a short list of the ones I think are first picks, and Glock is on that list.

Here's my take. An M&P or glock in a high capacity 45 is going to weigh about the same. So will a 40. A 9MM loaded full tilt can weigh less, depending on the gun. But, if we are talking a 16 to 17 round gun, it is a wash. In any case, by the time you load up the appropriate amount of Magazines and belt carry them, there isn't going to be much difference between any of the polymer offerings and the system you now carry. Sorry, there just isn't going to be. It is all a wash.

But, if I went Polymer, It'd be an M&P or the Glock for service work requiring a hot gun. I love the SR series but, understand in your line a work, a safety could be unwanted. If that didn't bother you, I'd go Ruger all the way. Just disconnect the magazine safety for reliability purposes, which takes about 3 minutes. They are great, accurate guns and. I have carried one of the two I own, exclusively this summer. God Bless

I'll tell you, try the trigger pull on a Walther PPQ M2, IMHO it puts the Glock, M&P, HK VP, SR, and XD striker triggers to shame!

On the clock, A Glock 40 has been on my hip since 2000. Had a model 22 till about three years ago when the origal one was replaced by a new model 23. Havin been an instructor and armor, I am still amazed at the simplicity and the reliability of the Glock pistol. Many fine pistols out there for sure but for me the Glock is always going to be the go to pistol for when things go bad. Don't ge mt wrong, I love my wheelies but the Glock is a damn fine duty pistol.

If I were as experienced as you are with a 4" K frame I would have a hard time making a change. I would drop a couple hundred dollars on another K frame and rock on.

Lol...well, I never felt under armed with my K-frame. And also, I think of the K-frame smith and the Glock as the Go-to guns in their respective action types. Personally, I'm one of those "Its a tool box" types who could use most any reliable gun. It's more about mindset than gear, it just happens I like gear too.

Anyhoo, gonna get the Glock and, but I have no doubt you can catch me packing the "K" concealed or afield once I get a moment or two to see to it's repair.

Fascinating thread.

"1911's are out, save for the ParaOrd LDA. No single actions autos. " [samsmix]

What am I missing here, have carried just about everything, current carry is a 'one gun does it all' (for me), a 10mm 1911 Monolith.

What can you tell me? Thanks in advance.

Best to you.

When I worked security I carried either a Glock 19 (16 rounds with 2 spare 17 rounders) or SIG P226 (19 rounds with 2 spare 20 rounders).

Those are my votes. :)

If for open carry, just pick from the many big name service sized polymers and call it done:
1. Glock 19/17
2. Walther PPQ
3. S&W M&P
Service size allows more choices on holster and easier to carry than the longer versions (G34, M&P Pro, etc).
Save your GP100 for hunting/fun.
====
I would opt for 9mm but you pick the caliber you like.

Glock 19 or a CZp01.
Both are reasonably priced and at the top of the pistol reliability scale.

The CZ is DA/SA and all metal.

The Glock is DAO; appx. 1/2" pull at 5.5 pds.

Back