Thinking of buying "Tupperware" (oh the horror!)

samsmix

Since 2003 I have been alternately carrying two wheelguns on the job (armored car). The primary was an old pinned barrel Smith, a 4" M15-3. But she's been getting a little long in the tooth. In fact she has become unreliable. The other sixgun has been a 6" GP-100, which I carried off and on...probably almost as much as the Smith. I enjoy the easy pointing nature or the long barrel, and the (admittedly excessive) accuracy of the long sight radius. I am hands down the best shot in my region, with one possible exception. I am a serious 50yard threat in fast double action shooting, 100 yards if I take a quick rest and thumb her back. I have taken a mule deer cleanly at just under 150, and have plans for a speed goat this fall. Thanks to its thigh-ride holster though, I'm fast enough at the 2 yard line to feel comfey up close.

Bottom line: we have had a long relationship, and I love this gun....but my GOSH it's getting heavy! I was 25 when I first qualified with it, but now as 40 looms I just don't think I want to carry this much around my hips anymore. I don't want to beat up a $1000 scandium or titanium N-frame (our guns get BEAT UP), and of course a little added capacity wouldn't hurt...

Am I doomed to a plastic autoloader?

Last edited:
buy a used glock for $350 from j&g maybe.
i got a G22 from there a few years back and dropped a 9mm barrel in it and a 3.5 lb trigger. 1-1.5" groups fairly easy.

the new taurus pt111 g2 for $200 or less looks like the deal of the century.

Am I doomed to a plastic autoloader?

No, although I wouldn't say having such an array of very effective and dependable guns being doomed!!

Still, if you want all metal, there are the likes of the CZ line, many with alloy frames.

Are there some alloy Sigs? I don't know personally.Perhaps there are some alloy framed 1911s: clearly lower capacity has not been a handicap so far.

Or you could got to a shorter GP100. OK, it's not masses, but getting a 4" or 3" would lop some weight off. The 3" is 9oz lighter than your existing 6" wheelgun at 36oz.

A Glock 17 fully loaded is about 32oz and a CZ 75 Compact with alloy frame is 28oz (presumably unloaded) and the longer fullsize CZ 75 is 36oz.

So the GP would not be in a different league, despite being at the chubby end.

Tommy Lee Jones...lol...I was just thinking of that line on the way to work this morning. No, no Taurus autos for me, except the PT series. Too many bad experiences.

I guess I never really thought about what all that extra ammo weighs. Truth be told, I dont hate plastics, and I often carry plastic off duty, but really enjoyed being a slight bit different from my peers. I got nothing against Glock, or any other good quality auto. I have the right mindset, the gun is just a tool.

The more I think about it, a long slide Glock would make a lot of sense to fill the same role. There is just a part of me that likes a good second act, and enjoyed the fact that a good sixgun was still on the job in 2015. What the heck, 179 years is a good run and I'm sure there are others. In face I think security types in St Louis are not allowed auto loaders, just revolvers.
It was great fun while it lasted, and I will continue to qualify with it as a spare, but I think a Glock, XD, or possibly SR-9 is in my near future. Maybe a narrower front sight and a ghost ring rear...steel of course.

I'm curious about why your S&W M15 is becoming unreliable. What is making it unreliable? Those are extremely durable firearms. Normally, when one starts having issues, it is fairly simple to replace the bad parts and get it back in the game.

I was poor when I bought it. It had a very slight, almost imperceivable bulge in the barrel, but the price was right ($150). It was accurate in spite of the bulge, and I even popped a dozen or so cottontails with it on a hunt last fall. Now the back spur of the hammer occasionally engages the tab on the cylinder release that is meant to keep the hammer from working when the gun is open, preventing the gun from firing. New parts might fix it, but I don't have the time to deal with it right now. Not to mention how catastrophic this lockup would be in a gunfight.

I'll fix it up, but not now. I DO miss it for off duty CCW in the cooler months, but on the job it wouldn't hurt me to get with the times.

A Lightweight Commander might be right up your alley. It's an aluminum full-size framed 1911 with a shortened (4.25") barrel. Colt and Springfield both make their own flavor of it. My vote would go for the Colt.

I'm familiar with the Rhino, and it wold certainly fulfill the "something different" category. A touch spendy though. 1911's are out, save for the ParaOrd LDA. No single actions autos.

First off, if this is for work, different don't mean squat if you aren't able to shoot it well.

That said, I love my S&W Model 65 3" as a carry gun (great balance between weight and sight radius, and it truly feels like a balanced gun, moreso than my 4" Model 19). I can also heartily endorse the CZ 75B lineup, as I own one of their decocker models (something I would encourage you to get if you're used to shooting revolvers), and just picked up a PCR. They are accurate, great firing guns, and they just feel right when you carry it. 16+1 of 9mm in the full size (unless you get the extended MecGar magazines) and 14+1 in the compacts.

Worked for a couple of years, off and on for my Son, the more or less high risk side of the job, ATM Tec. minding!

When the ATM Steel case is open, lots of cash inside. Criminals could be tempted.

Before taking on this job, I examined it for risk assessment (who is at risk? me)
the technicians vehicle, normally a van, parks alongside the sick machine, we park behind it. A couple of cones says we are staying.

You are not at risk, till the robbers are close enough to take the cash boxes.

These individuals might be mob-handed, so to speak, two or three? Armed with guns, pistols? Most likely, driving up? maybe, or coming at a dead run from either, or both sides of the bank building.

So my pick for a weapon, Glock 19, 16 rounds, a spare magazine with 17 rounds. Good night sights, a must as you normally work at night, TruGlo fiber optics, all green bright dots.

A vest, good shoes/boots, soft rubber, concrete requires a good grip.

You do not sit in your vehicle on your cell phone, use a blue tooth ear piece for essential calls. Good flashlight, on the belt.

Be wide awake. Discouraged the sniffing around youth! The Police come to see what's going on, the odd time.

Revolver is ruled out, capacity, sights.

JimmyR,
I can shoot. Some are better, most are not. Those who are are usually competition types. As far as being able to shoot a particular gun well, that's just learning curve and practice. It has been said that "a man is no more armed because he carries a gun, than owning an instrument makes him a concert violinist.". Give me a hi-point and I will be more-so armed than your average hood would be with an Uzi.

Brit,
I've examined and identified likely risks. Been in a few situations that thankfully didn't go hot, but came mighty close. I have considered the multiple assailant issues, weighed it out against things like barrier and body armor penetration (mine or theirs). Mostly, I'm confident and competent in my own abilities no matter what I carry, so it really just comes down to tickling my fancy. I have all the gear you mentioned (after 12 years I'd better have!), and unlike a lot of guys I keep my head up and eyes and ears open.
Revolvers are not out for me. I am not Bob Munden or Jerry Miculek...but im not far enough behind to be called slow either. I will account for every round that misses, so I train to hit, and I DO train under stress. I am not a mall ninja type, but I enjoy my range time and make the most of it.

Last edited:
LOne Eagle,

Now that long slide 10mm might do. It sort of echoz an idea I had a couple of years ago. Would have similar versatility to my .357 mag. Like the .357, even if it doesn't go through a vest it might break ribs on the wearer with the right loads.
I like the versatility, and I like the familiarity that comes with using one gun for most everything. Two years ago the plan was for a Glock 41 with a .460 Rowland kit, but there I would be beating up an expensive piece.

Sold. A 10mm Glock will be good on the street and also good in the mountains and deer woods. It shoots flat enough for mulies and antelope within reasonabe prairie hunting ranges (say 100-125 yards or so), will be an ace on whitetails, flatten a Black bear of cat, and while not an idel Griz defense, a 10mm mag dump is nothing to sneeze at (I use spray for griz anyhow).
A narrow front blade with a brass bead, and a steel rear.

Done.

Now that is a terrible thought. "Now that I'm 40".
I'm 67 & absolutely have no problems
Carrying my 4" GP 100.
Bad Karma IMHO about feeling that way.
Doc

I agree with you on that part Doc, and I've always been one to say you're only as old as you feel. The real issues started with a skiing accident. I ain't ready to sit down buly any means, but a little less weight on my hips would be nice, even without the age or injury. I still hike the Rockies with a Super Black hawk (and spray)...but I don't do it every day.

Yeah, it isn't "40" that's doing it to me. As the saying goes, "It ain't the years, it's the mileage."

...plus I've been hankerin' for a new toy.

There are revolvers that aren't so heavy. My S&W pre model ten is not nearly as beefy as my FiL's GP100. My SP101 is significantly smaller. Something like that, with a 3" or 4" barrel, would take some weight off your hip.

Back