Thinking of buying a 7.62 Spainish Mauser

Here's a picture of my Samco 1916 so you'll have an idea of what to expect. It's not as pretty as Snakedriver's, but still pretty good. I just cleaned the stock with some four 0 steel wool and BLO. Their ad doesn't mention it , but mine came with a muzzle cap and sling. Oh, and don't try to unscrew the cleaning rod.
SANY0697.jpg

LarryNTX: "Oh, and don't try to unscrew the cleaning rod."

The cleaning rod has a notch in it that snaps into the clip on the back side of the front sling ring retainer. Press in on the button on the bottom of the ring to release the cleanning rod and pull out on it to remove it. It should slide right out when you release it.

Mauser21.jpg

Cleaning rod notch:

Mauser20.jpg

GREAT find on that article. That should settle the issue once and for all.
I am not a big fan of these very old rifles and I don't have a big inventory of them to sell.

Garry James was paid to write that infomercial and he was paid by the importer. People with a financial incentive are not going to be objective. Or have you never had a bad experience after bought something you saw in an advert?

Why would SAMCO spend so much time “proving” that these rifles are safe? Maybe it is because they have a deserved reputation for being defective.

SAMCO sent a number of M1916's to HP White. We don't know if the receivers tested were late model or early model. We don't know if the rifles were rebuilt from 1893's or were new M1916's.

Lot sampling makes the assumption that the samples tested are representative of the lot.

But is this case, is it true? Was Spanish quality control so good that decades of production, decades of rebuilds, that we can believe a small test sample represents the entire production?

The load test does not provide a comparison against anything. When Ruger tested its M77 bolt, made from modern 4140 steel, against M98 and 03 bolts, the Ruger bolt was at least ½ to 1/3 stronger. You can find the information in the 1969? Gun Digest. The 308 round is a 62,000 psia round, if these HP White tests are to believed, you don’t have a 2:1 safety margin. You have a 1.58 safety factory. Not so great in my opinion.

The purpose of the sited infomercial was to give just enough information so that the reader would buy a SAMCO M1916.

But lets say the metal of these Spanish Mausers is just fine. These old M93 actions have their own issues independent of metallurgy or quality control. They don’t handle gas very well. The M98 Mauser is one of the best in this regards, in that action Paul Mauser really incorporated a number of design features to protect the shooter from gas release. The M93 does not have the inner collar, the third safety lug, the bolt flange that deflects gas from the face, the firing pin block, big gas vents. etc. I have had over pressure 8mm surplus ammo pierce primers, seen the firing pin blow back, and yet never received any gas in my face or hand.

Many modern actions, the Ruger is an example, have good breeching features, compare this:

This Swedish Mauser is the exact same action as a Spanish Mauser. Don’t know what happened here but there is a cracked receiver ring and blood on the ground. Obviously an over pressure event of some sort, and the shooter was not protected by this old action.
M96Mauserblownup.jpg

Take a look at the blown case head of in this Ruger M77. The shooter walked away.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445089&highlight=ruger+hawkeye

The Spanish Mausers rebarreled to 308 Winchester are particularly well known for having problems. The 308 is a high intensity round and many of these rifles have developed headspace issues as the bolt peened into the soft receiver.

I does not take much web searching to find examples of where Spanish Mausers developed excessive headspace due to soft receiver metal.

Excessive Headspace in M1916 Mauser

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6707989&postcount=10

Originally Posted by Oceans
Thats funny Maj. Dad, I knew a correctional officer in the late '80s, who had one of them in what was supposed to be .308. This guy loved that rifle like it was a 1930s model 70. He talked about it constantly, shot it every time he went to the range and even bought an expensive case to haul it around in. I was always leery of a 1893 action chambered in .308. I was told that the Guardia Mauser was chambered for a very similar Spanish round, and not the NATO 7.62x51, and that this Spanish round was loaded to lower pressures. I do not know if this is true, maybe someone on the board does? I will say, that the rifle is handy, and nice looking.
Oceans - It is true, as I found out today, sadly.

I've had my 1916 Spanish Guardia Mauser from Samco for about 20 years now. Took it deer hunting every year until last year, when I heard about the same thing you did. I shot .308 rounds out of it.

Finally got the headspace checked by a gunsmith, and - well, the bolt locked EASILY on "no-go". And we're talking like butter. I snapped the firing pin and will have it hanging on the wall of my office soon.

Last edited:
HMM

Well while Im waiting on the Rifle to get here, I will order a set of .308 Headspace Go and and No Go Gages from Brownels.
They have them in stock for $50 so I can check it myself.

Well just be nice to the thing. You do not have to load maximum loads in the 308 to have excellent accuracy. The 308 is very flexible in that regards, the load in the target is a 168 match with 39.0 grains AA2495. AA2495 is accurate arms copy of IMR 4895 but stupidly they call it something different and confuse everyone.

This load is moving around 2450 fps and is very mild.

Use good brass and mild loads, and that should keep you out of most trouble with this rifle.

M70Win200-14X168Nosler39.jpg

Thanks Slamfire

I have most of the reloading components, just need to get some dies for .308, I will write this load down.

I have shot surplus 7.62X51 ammo thru my M1916, but now load it down to approximately '.30-40 Krag' pressure level. Much more comfortable to shoot, and not so stressful on the old action. I carefully mark the ammo boxes for this use, to not confuse them with the full-power 7.62X51 ammo I load for my FR8 and CETME rifles.
The Modelo C Cetme, which all US-market CETMEs are based on, are designed for the 7.62X51 round, NOT the earlier 'CETME' round - that was used in the initial Modelo A and B rifles, never fielded in great numbers. This has been verified by CETME users in Spain, who have translated the original manuals, over on the Tuco's Gunboards CETME forum.
One interesting thing on my Spanish Mausers is that my M43, M1916 and FR8 all have original bent bolt handles. A bit rare to see the FR8 with it, but my M43is the Spanish Airforce Model with standard bent handle, and heavy-eared front sight - different from the common Army model. This is the one often mistakenly called the "M-44".

My M43 currently wears a shortened Brazilian '08 stock, as the original was sadly bubba'd.....

MySpanishMausers_M1916M1943FR8.jpg

Big Dog

Those are some neat looking rifles, shame someone messed up the stock on your 43.
Im kind of funny about rifles I guess. To me the Bolt Action Mauser in its full military configuration looks awesome. As well as the O3 and others.
I have even thought about trying to make a modern Sporter, like a Winchester Model 70 look like a Mauser. To some this would be crazy, but I just like all the wood and they style. But also like loading with stripper clips, and the modern rifles cant do that.:)

I had a customer that wanted a Spanish Mauser (1916) re-barreled. It had been re-chambered at the factory in .308. I had allot of problems with that gun. The 1st was that it's heat treat was not the greatest, and it was determined that it was unsafe to have the thing chambered in .308 to begin with, regardless of whether or not the factory did it. We decided to go back to the original 7x57 chambering. The 2nd (and the most headache inducing) was that the action was drilled just a little off center. The thing would pass headspace checks on the lathe, then not chamber a dummy round. The barrel was threaded dead center, (I know some of you are thinking I screwed the barrel up but trust me on this!) so when you tried to close the bolt the round wasn't lining up properly, causing the extractor to shave off some of the case. We ended up opening up the bolt face a little and that solved the problem, the gun shot fine after that. The point is be wary, you have to be careful with all old battle rifles, especially ones made during a time of war.

This Swedish Mauser is the exact same action as a Spanish Mauser. Don’t know what happened here but there is a cracked receiver ring and blood on the ground. Obviously an over pressure event of some sort, and the shooter was not protected by this old action.

To add to that, Swedish mausers are much stronger than the Spanish Mausers.

I wouldn't buy a spanish mauser and shoot anything .308 or 7.62 NATO through it, reduced jacketed or cast loads would be the only thing I would shoot.

I ordered some 7.62 Nato, next will be some headspace gages, then a set of Dies or .308 I think I will load down to about 30 30 velocity, should bring the pressure down.
I have been shooting a 98 Paterned 8MM and I know its stronger, but I like the look of the Small Ring Mauser. the .308 is a perfect hand loaders cartridge, you can make it do what you want it to.
Ive got a Ruger M77 .308 for the high power stuff.

As was posted earlier. No Spanish Mauser was converted to fire the 7.62 CETME round, that was an experimental round made exclusiveley for the CETME A model that was never fielded. The Spanish CETME B and C models fired the 7.62 Nato round.
I have reloaded for my FR8 and have had success doing so, but as long as DAG or Radway Green ammo is still available, why bother?
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-rifles/308-win-7-62x51-nato-/p/308-german-147gr-fmj-bt-7-62x-51-nato%2C-men-mfg%2C-200-round-battle-pack-/cPath/12_43/products_id/5671

Well the Ammo I ordered from SOG arrived today, they are quick, its Military Surplus Nato Ammo, in a neat bandileer, on 5 Round Stripper Clips.
Kind of strange being on strippers, but that should work well with the rifle.
Still Waiting for the Rifle, takes forever.

The Spanish Mauser is a good weapon.

Excellent rifles. I bought one in 1986. I have been shooting it and shooting it, with factory loads and with reloading projects of every shape and size.

There is nothing wrong with these rifles. They are not well known for problems as one poster asserts. No more than the next rifle. What you cant do is abuse the situation. You shouldnt be firing hot loads in these rifles, because they were not designed for it.

They are not .308 Winchester. They are not 7.62x51 rifles. They are actually .308 Cetme, which is a Spanish military round that happens to have pretty much the same case configuration as the 7.62 Nato cartridge.

.308 Cetme is loaded to somewhat lesser pressures than the Nato cartridge. If you keep your loading pressures in the vicinity of the 30-40 Krag cartridge, this rifle will last you a life time.

You can fire .308 Winchester factory loads in these rifles. But understand, higher pressures will mean that the headspace will eventually be affected, because the bolts are somewhat soft, and the rifle is designed for a slightly lower pressure.

My rifle served as a my truck gun for decades. With iron sights, I had reasonably good accuracy out to two hundred yards or so, and I knocked many a coyote on his ass with single shots at moderate distances.

These rifles are MAUSERS ! But these rifles are not K98 mausers! They will not stand the pressures that the K98 will stand. Nor does it have the safety features the K98 will have. A catridge case failure in the Spanish Mauser will send the gases right back into your face, because there is no "flange" effect on this action, like there is on the K98. So use only good cases, and keep those pressures reasonable, and your rifle will last you a lifetime like mine does.

My rifle cost me $59.00. It came in military configuration in a plain cardboard rifle box. It had a plain military spruce wood (soft wood) stock. I scrubbed that gun clean and I fired it. The first shot was right in the ring at 150 yards off of a steady bench. The iron sights are pretty good on mine. I really like and trust this rifle. The best 59 bucks I ever spent.

Remeber that the Spanish Military used these rifles for years and years. Then the police departments in Spain used them for years and years. Then their "guard" troops used them for years and years. The rifle performed well, was treated well by the Spanish, and it proved itself to be handy and durable.

I will never trade this rifle. I have had it too long, and it has served me very well. I have hunted with it when other rifles were down. I have shot well over 15 thousand rounds in my rifle, and it is as good as the day I bought it.

Treat it right and it will treat you right.

Well I called and checked on my order,

I was told that the Rifles were on backorder, I asked if that meant that they were still overseas, I was told, that no they were here, but being assembled??
and that it could take up to three weeks, I surfed the net and found instances of people waiting for months to get one of these rifles.
So I wont hold my breath.
:confused:

Well I called and checked on my order.

I was told that the Rifles were on backorder, I asked if that meant that they were still overseas, I was told, that no they were here, but being assembled??
and that it could take up to three weeks, I surfed the net and found instances of people waiting for months to get one of these rifles.
So I wont hold my breath.

Personally, I would ask for a refund and get something with a little better quality and reputation.

TxHunter: Well I called and checked on my order. I was told that the Rifles were on backorder, I asked if that meant that they were still overseas, I was told, that no they were here, but being assembled?? ..........and that it could take up to three weeks, I surfed the net and found instances of people waiting for months to get one of these rifles. So I wont hold my breath.

Remember what I told you back at the beginning of this thread?

"My experience with Samco is that they generally have a really nice product, but they will be the slowest supplier you'll ever have the frustration of dealing with. Be patient and you'll be pleased with the rifle you get."

Nothing you can say or do will speed Samco up either. I even had a friend of mine in Miami go by and speak to the manager at Samco about my order, but they are experts with the excuses and will deliver your rifle to you when they are good & ready and not a moment before that. :(

Snake Driver

Yes I remember, Im not out much money, so I will just wait, and see how long it takes. In a way it will be nice to alwayse have something to look forward to. :D

Back