Thinking Mosin Nagant

The Mosin Nagant, pronounced --- "moseen nagon" --- especially the M91-30 "sniper", was the most accurate sniper rifle of WW2.
actually, the title of most accurate goes to the M41 swedish mauser, though Sweden was a neutral party, they did maintain a very well outfitted military as a deterrent and Swedish rifles are considered to be some of the best made and most accurate small arms of WWII. springfields were also capable of amazing accuracy but with only a 2.5x scope they were just more difficult to make a good shot with.

from what I've heard of the VIMBAR sniper shoots, 91/30s rarely take home the gold, that is just a fact of life.

Not that I'm recommending this, but when you only spend $150 on the rifle, you don't feel bad about doing a trigger job with a pop can top, and lowering your POI by extending the front sight with a piece of wire insulation.

Hitting the gong consistently at 200 yards (once the barrel heats up) while the guy next to you with his modern $700 rifle kicks up dust is a pretty good feeling.

Edit: People will probably give you crap for having a Mosin (they're so common and cheap, I think people just get tired of seeing them), but I'm in it for the history. Also, today at the range I counted no less than 4.

I buy local for mine. I can get the chance to inspect it myself. I look for two major things. I make sure the stock has no cracks in it. I also check the bore. All that I have seen have had very strong rifling, and clean bores. Dark or shiney I do not care as long as the rifling is strong. When I buy one I take it to the range with a mallet, and drift punch to set the front sight to shoot straight without the bayonette on it.

My newest one shoots 2 inches to the right at 25 yards without the bayonette so I will be working on it today. (Forgot to take the mallet, and punch yesterday.:o)

Back