Thinking about some 19th Century revolvers

If you want a really great old revolver, look for a S&W New Model Number Three. The best of the Top Breaks. Does not have the awkward grip shape of the Russian model, and there were more of them made than Schofields. Standard caliber was 44 Russian, but they were also made in several other chamberings too. Except no 45 Colt.

new%20model%20number%20three%2001_zpsnhtam3mu.jpg

I really don't care about the selective ejection business, I'm going to shoot all the rounds in the thing before I reload, so...

And I'm not interested in Smith's from the 1800's.

The Cimarron Lightning .38 Special is the closest you're gonna come to the original Colt, except this modern version is single action. The .45 Colt version is the Thunderer.

That doesn't look anything like a Lightening. All it is is a 73 with birdshead grips.

That doesn't look anything like a Lightening. All it is is a 73 with birdshead grips.
That is a Lightning birdshead grip which is distinctive from the standard birdsheads that don't have the "hump" at the top.

I didn't say it was a lookalike, just the closest thing to an original. Did say it was a SA, not a DA like the original, and that makes for a very different lower frame & trigger guard shape.

Anyway, the Cimarron is a cool gun.

It's spelled Uberti guys.

The OP says he does not want a S&W Top Break. No idea why.

Avoid at all costs the earlier ASM Schofields. Lots of problems with them. Uberti is the only company making replicas of the S&W Top Breaks today, Cimarron is an importer, they don't make anything.

As I may or may not have said elsewhere in this thread, the modern reproductions by Uberti; their Schofield, Russian, and New Model #3 revolvers, are good guns. They perform fine with modern Smokeless powder ammunition. However because of certain design changes, they do not perform well with Black Powder and tend to bind up quickly.

I wish someone made a Merlin Hulbert repro but it would be impossible due to the hand fit and finish needed to make one. The cylinder on the real ones have a suction action due to being fitted so superbly. I have read a modern repro would cost several thousand dollars so it will never happen, much like a new Colt python.

There was an outfit claiming to be tooling up to make M&H revolvers, but they got no further than some 3D modeling, and eventually faded away.

You'd think with investment casting and CNC they'd be able to do it. But I have heard there is no way to equal the hand fitting with such machines, I don't know.

If you can disassemble and reassemble a Colt Lightning and keep your cool you can call yourself a gunsmith.

Driftwood +++++++. Beautiful New No. 3. Great way to go for shooting 19th Cent revolvers. 44 Russian is great and easy to load. Shooter grade New No. 3s can be found (takes a little luck) and are among the least costly of large frame Smiths.

Hi, Driftwood,

M&H seems to have taken two approaches on "selective ejection" - in some guns (like .44-40) the made the gun to fit the cartridge. In some of their .32 and .38 revolvers they had cartridges made to work with the gun and the "standard" (i.e., S&W caliber) cartridges are too short for the ejection (falling away) to work as designed.

In any case, the idea, though touted by M&H, seldom works as intended, even with the correct case and cartridge lengths. Yet another reason, I suspect, why the idea never caught on. I once had a discussion of the action with a gentleman who claimed that if the M&H was reproduced, it would be a big seller. After he actually fired one of mine (a .38), something he had never done, he decided that a repro probably would not sell and gave up the idea.

As pointed out, some of the so-called repros of older guns are actually plain single action repro Colts - the changes to make them look different are purely cosmetic.

Jim

I'd love one of the "Army model" ones with the "skull crushed" grip and black stocks and chrome plating!! Those looks SO good!! I wish Uberti, Pietta, Pedersoli, Ardessa, Investarms, Euroarms, SOMEBODY ANYBODY would come out with a repro for under $1500 that was well made quality wise and as authentic as possible. I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!

I wish someone made a Merlin Hulbert repro but it would be impossible due to the hand fit and finish needed to make one. The cylinder on the real ones have a suction action due to being fitted so superbly. I have read a modern repro would cost several thousand dollars so it will never happen, much like a new Colt python.

There was an outfit claiming to be tooling up to make M&H revolvers, but they got no further than some 3D modeling, and eventually faded away.

You'd think with investment casting and CNC they'd be able to do it. But I have heard there is no way to equal the hand fitting with such machines, I don't know.

I'd love one of the "Army model" ones with the "skull crushed" grip and black stocks and chrome plating!! Those looks SO good!! I wish Uberti, Pietta, Pedersoli, Ardessa, Investarms, Euroarms, SOMEBODY ANYBODY would come out with a repro for under $1500 that was well made quality wise and as authentic as possible. I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!

Howdy Again

Yes, there was an outfit a few years ago that was attempting to make a reproduction of the Merwin Hulbert revolvers. Yes, they did not get much further than making up 3D models in the computer and posting renderings of the 3D models on several gun boards. They did actually get as far as making up some parts, and showing them at some big gun shows to drum up some business. The problem was they were underfunded. It takes A LOT of money to start up a business and bring out a completely new product. They were seriously underfunded, so they took deposits on prospective orders to move the project forward. When it eventually went bust, it looked like a lot of excited, prospective customers were going to lose their money. Eventually the debt was bought by another company, and the deposits were repaid, but the project stalled there.

I suppose since I own a few of them, I have the luxury of debunking the myths about the Merwin Hulbert. Most of the claptrap about how precise they were, and how nobody else could make one was just that. Claptrap. Baloney. These myths get passed on because unlike Colt, and S&W, and Winchester, and any other gun company you can name, there is only one authoritative book published on the subject, The Story of Merwin Hulbert & Co. Firearms, by Art Phelps.

merwin%20hulbert%20book_zpsuf4jxiw4.jpg

In his book, Phelps describes how incredibly precise and advanced the MH design was, and since he was the only one standing in bully pulpit, nobody has contradicted him, instead the myths he started get repeated over and over again until everyone and their brother believes them and repeats them to anybody who will listen.

The simple fact is, Merwin came up with the unusual design of rotating the barrel and pulling it forward to reload because Smith & Wesson controlled all the patents for Top Breaks at the time. So Merwin had to come up with a different system if he was going to sell guns.

Regarding that business about the suction of the cylinder, all it is is the center hole in the cylinder was toleranced very tightly to the arbor it rode on. No big deal, you just tolerance the hole so it is about .001 larger in diameter than the arbor. Then if you quickly open the gun, and let go of the barrel, the suction will try to pull the cylinder and barrel back again. Big deal! It only happens because nobody else tried to make such a crazy design. I have three of them, and the 'suction' feature is gone on two of them, because over time the arbor and the hole have worn enough so the fit is not so tight anymore. On one, the 'suction' feature is still there a little bit, because the gun is not quite so worn.

unloading%2010_zpsuwv6k8n0.jpg

Same with the 'incredible precision' of the rotating joint between the frame and the barrel. All it took was some clever fixturing, so the joints could be cut by rotating the parts around the center of the cylinder axis. Very clever, yes, but not really earthshaking. It's just because nobody else was doing it that it gets so much attention.

pocket%20army%2004_zpsheuchgjj.jpg

rotary%20joint%20partially%20open_zpsdzr81854.jpg

Stop and think about it for a moment. Who was actually making these revolver? Hopkins and Allen, who were known for inexpensive, relatively crude firearms. If an outfit like Hopkins and Allen could make these guns, just how precise could they have been? I have always maintained that if S&W had been interested, they could have made the MH design with their eyes closed. They just weren't interested, because they already had a better mouse trap. By the way, if you open up the sideplate of a single action MH, and compare the mechanism to the mechanism of a S&W of the same time period, you will be amazed that they were identical in design and function. But the workmanship was much better inside the S&W gun than the MH.

Which gets me to the last point, and why I think S&W was making a better gun, hands down than Merwin Hulbert. Everybody always says how clever the MH system was for opening the gun and dumping the empties. What they neglect to tell you is you cannot reload the gun while it is open. Absolutely cannot be done because of the 'extractor ring' that pulls the empties out of the chambers. Nobody mentions that to reload you have to close the gun and reload one chamber at a time through a loading gate, not much different than a Colt. Whereas with a Smith, you break it open, dump out the empties, and reload while the gun is still open, then snap it closed to keep shooting.

Funny how nobody ever mentions that.

Don't get me wrong, the Merwin Hulbert is a fascinating revolver, and I am extremely lucky to own three of them, but don't believe the myths that Art Phelps perpetrated about them.

The bottom line is, the Merwin Hulberts were an interesting design, but there simply is not enough demand to be producing them again. If there were, you can bet they would be expensive. Uberti reproductions of S&W #3 revolvers go for a tad more than $1000. Do you think anybody could make a niche revolver like the MH for less?

Last edited:
The Modèle 1892 revolver.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modèle_1892_revolver

Gun Broker has these in the 400 price range.
Originally loaded with black powder, by WWI they used smokeless for the 8mm round.

I've had the chance to handle more than one and they were well made and solid.
The 8mm cartridge is a bit pricey, but you can resize .32-20 cases according to this article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8mm_French_Ordnance

And of course if you want an 1800's design you could always opt for the Nagant 1895

Driftwood Johnson said:
Which gets me to the last point, and why I think S&W was making a better gun, hands down than Merwin Hulbert. Everybody always says how clever the MH system was for opening the gun and dumping the empties. What they neglect to tell you is you cannot reload the gun while it is open. Absolutely cannot be done because of the 'extractor ring' that pulls the empties out of the chambers. Nobody mentions that to reload you have to close the gun and reload one chamber at a time through a loading gate, not much different than a Colt. Whereas with a Smith, you break it open, dump out the empties, and reload while the gun is still open, then snap it closed to keep shooting.
Thanks for the post Drift, a treasure trove of information as always.

Yes, while the reloading function of the MH was no better than a Colt SAA, the difference was that it could be unloaded faster, nearly as fast as a S&W Model 3, but couldn't be reloaded as fast. Then, the tradeoff of a slower reload than the S&W was a stronger design, one nearly as strong as the Colt.

Then there's the double action Merwin's that, I guess from all that I'm reading here, were probably better and more robust than the Colt 1877 and 78's.

The Modèle 1892 revolver...

And of course if you want an 1800's design you could always opt for the Nagant 1895.
Would rather go Nagant, I have an affinity for Russian military guns of the late 19th Century thru to the mid 20th.

But my original thought was to get something American made. My mind is more set on the Merwin Hulberts for their design and operation and M1892 for it's dubious military history.

Back