Thin hammer fired .40 s&w

Ruger SR40. It IS thin for a full size pistol. Light weight. Feels GREAT in the grip. High capacity. Downside, NOT hammer fired! You would be remiss to NOT give it a look.

Hi 1972 Redneck,
The P239, if you can find one. I wish Sig hadn't DC'd that model.

Springfield Armory EMP .40 is an option.

A6DXD5el.jpg

Here are 2 example's of .40 goodness

Hi Krunchnik,

They look like .40 S&W greatness.

I have an EMP 3 9MM that I use for urban purposes. By a huge margin, it's the best urban carry gun I've ever owned. That thing is crazy accurate. It's as reliable as any mechanical device could hope to be. I trust it far more than any revolver I've ever owned.

I must have been away from the handgun game for too long. I was clueless of Springfield Armory's sublime line of 1911-A1s until about five years ago. I've sold all of my other brands of 1911-A1s and exclusively have gone with Springfield Armory. My money's on the Springfield Armory as the unequaled best of factory production 1911-A1.

BTW, how's recoil with your EMP .40? There is virtually no recoil with my 9MM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noA6GnDR7-8

In my opinion, the magnum opus of CCW guns, and I've carried more than a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AGHdSIXgzg

A pretty thin hammer-fired .40 S&W compact was the short-lived S&W 3rd gen 4040PD. It used an expensive Airlite Scandium aluminum frame and part of their PD (Personal Defense) line. A single stack 7+1 traditional double action (DA/SA). Think of it as a 3913 with a Scandium aluminum frame (similar to the LS or NL style frame) into which they stuffed the .40 S&W. It came with a black finished carbon steel slide, which, interestingly enough, like the later production TSW models, was machined to take the optional spring-loaded, decock-only assembly.

The model was discontinued in '05, which was when I got mine. I was told by someone at the factory that they decided to discontinue the 4040PD, even while continuing to make the similarly sized single stack 3913TSW & 908 9mm compacts, due to the increased cost of using the Scandium aluminum frame in the 4040PD. It made the compact too expensive to sell for a competitive price on the existing market at that time. The 3913TSW/908's used the standard aluminum frame, so were less costly to sell.

While being a bit brisker in felt recoil than the 3913/908 guns and having 1 less round in the magazine, it became a relatively prized model among aficionados of the 3rd gen guns. The fact that it was only in production for '03-'05 makes it a bit harder to find used ones, though, and the magazines can cost upwards of $45 when found in-stock among some of the vendors.

The 4040PD uses the same nested set of (2) recoil springs as the 4013/4513TSW's & the 457/457S, and the same magazine spring as the 3913/908 series. The 4040's magazine uses a different follower than the single stack 9's, too.

It came standard with the Hogue rubber grip stocks (same as for the 3913/908 guns) to help mitigate the felt recoil of the .40 S&W in the thin, light compact.

https://www.genitron.com/Handgun/Smith-Wesson/Pistol/4040PD/40-SW/Variant-1

The 3 inch is a little snappy but very tolerable-the 4 inch is a little tamer.
I am feeding them with Federal Hydrashock 165gr-a little expensive but the round works.

You could always buy a 1911 in 10mm. They are flat easy to conceal. I carried mine a full size for a long time. How ever I've never been considered thin. The 10mm boys are always crying that factory is loaded to 40 Smith and Wesson power. Just a idea the temp 40 is a serious contender for me. Ymmv

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Back