Thin hammer fired .40 s&w

1972RedNeck

A few years back I picked up a Sig P229 in .40 for a steal (only have revolvers, but it was too good to pass up). Fast forward a few years and I got my concealed carry permit. Have tried a couple holsters but my revolvers and p229 are just too thick as I am very thin and always wear my shirt tucked in.

What's a good, thin, compact, single stack .40 S&W with a hammer?

A few years back I picked up a Sig P229 in .40 for a steal (only have revolvers, but it was too good to pass up). Fast forward a few years and I got my concealed carry permit. Have tried a couple holsters but my revolvers and p229 are just too thick as I am very thin and always wear my shirt tucked in.

What's a good, thin, compact, single stack .40 S&W with a hammer?
A few years back I had a similar pursuit. IIRC, a thin hammer fired 40 doesn't really exist.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The original striker fired Walther PPS (M1) came in 9mm and 40 S&W, I believe these are out of production. The PPS-M2 is still in production but does not come in 40 S&W. I have a 9mm PPS-M2 and I can attest to the fact that it shoots the heavier bullet weight JHP defensive loads beautifully. I can recommend the PPS-M2 in 9mm.

See if you can find a CZ P06. It's the p01 in 40 caliber. No longer made I could never find one. And I was looking when they where still made.

What's a good, thin, compact, single stack .40 S&W with a hammer

Look at the HK P2000, but I think that's a double stack. There are also a couple of 1911's that chamber in 40. RIA comes to mind.

Last edited:
From his original post, I'll hazard to gues that he wants a DA/SA hammer fired because he comes from revolvers rather than a cocked and lock SA hammer fired model.

There were a couple of Astras the A-75 DA/SA, and The A-70 SA only.

I think the Star Ultrastar was available in .40

The SIG/Sauer P239 is probably going to be the easiest one to find.

Last edited:
From his original post, I'll hazard to gues that he wants a DA/SA hammer fired because he comes from revolvers rather than a cocked and lock SA hammer fired model.
That's a very reasonable guess but, if that is one of his criteria, he should say so.

FWIW, he hasn't been back on the forum since he posted the question.

The quick answer is "no". I imagine that you're looking for hammer-fired double action or DA/SA. The modern polymer subcompact revolution has largely ignored people like us. There are a few options. The Springfield XDE is probably the thinnest but did they make a version in .40S&W?

Another thing to consider is that the .40's reputation for being "snappy" becomes more applicable when used in a small, light, polymer CCW. I found it downright unpleasant in the old PPS and only marginally better in the P99. The smallest gun I liked for .40S&W was the Sig P239 but as already noted, it's been discontinued for a while.

Given that a lot of the hammer-fired or DA/SA options are going to be thick anyway, look into a Beretta PX4 Compact. Some of its width comes from the batwing safety levers, which can be easily replaced with low-profile levers from Beretta. The capacity is decent in .40S&W and it handles recoil better than most any other polymer-framed compact.

There is also a PX4 Subcompact model. It is smaller but thickness is the same. It loses some capacity and ditches the rotating barrel system that makes the compact and full-size so easy to shoot well. I haven't shot one but people say it still handles .40 S&W well compared to other guns in its size class.

"...doesn't really exist..." Yep. Most, if not all of 'em, are double stack mags.
"...Hi-Power isn't much bigger than a 1911..." I'd have to measure, but a BHP's grips are much wider than a 1911/A1's grip frame. At a guess, I'd say half again as wide.
I think a Glock is as narrow as you'll get. No hammer though.
It sounds like you need to look into holsters more.

Back