These guys make me cringe!

During the Siege of Petersburg, both sides would put a spare ramrod down their barrel, hold their gun at a high angle like a mortar and launch it at the other guy. It was supposed to make a funny sound that drew laughter from the men.

tahunua said it all. These guys are so scatterbrained in their approach to shooting they were driving me nuts with all the flakey antics. That 9mm shell on a bent wire used to extract powder from the can and then pour it down the barrel? What in God's name is that all about? I guess a uniform powder gauge one can fill directly from a horn is way beyond their comprehension.

I could go on, but it would just get me riled up for no good reason(!)

Personally, I'd rather see someone using 3 scoops from a 9mm case than someone using a real measure and knowingly using triple the amount of recommended charge (their charges were actually pretty light for a .45 cal rifle). If the dipper works for now, why spend $10 on a measure that's going to sit in a box for 5 or more years? If you're going to shoot a lot, then by all means get the requisite possibles.

These guys weren't doing anything dangerous IMHO (except to their ears I guess). Not smart, but not dangerous either. And, they admitted in several places that BP snobs would come out of the woodwork to give them grief. These guys obviously don't spend much time shooting black powder. They weren't after accuracy. They just wanted to have fun.

Last edited:
Back