"thermal" underwear?

At one time or another, The major outdoors wear/hiking equipment maker has supplied ideas for the USGI gear. The ECWS parka is by Marmot, ECWS sleeping bags system by Northface. The list goes on.... A USGI Gortex parka can be bought for under $100.00, thats less than 1/2 of the marmot's All weather parka. Plus comes in camo:D . Even the sleeping pads are by thermarest! You can save a lot of money by getting surplus, Most of current surplus has a civilian counterpart. I used to be a buyer for a major camping/hiking store & get prototype items made by well known companies for military evaluation. Most of the items were off the shelf items that were slightly modified to meet milspec.

Vulcan is correct, many of the items used by the Marine Corps were the result of COTS (Commercial Off The Self) procurements. MarCorpSyscom went to commercial vendors and said, we like how you gear works can you make it for us in Camo or a subdued color? Perfect examples, the 2 Man tent, is a Eureka back packing tent, the ECWCS tent is a North Face expedition tent. The Multi-Fuel Stove is a Peak 1 multifuel, the fire team water filtration system is a MSR water filter, the MOLLE hydration system is a CamelBak Storm, the list goes on and on. Allot of the gear we carry is the same stuff that Back Packers buy

Being an active mountaineer and outdoorsman here in Colorado

for thirty years, I have worn my fair share of base layers. This is the term used for 'thermal' and wicking undergarments.

My #1 choice BAR NONE is Patagonia Capilene. I wear a midweight Zip-T when I'm active during the three seasons. In the summer, I wear a lightweight verson in a shirt called a Strider T. This is great for warm/hot weather as the shirt wicks but doesn't cling to the body AT ALL.

I also wear Duofolds Thermax and Coolmax in all seasons depending if I'm on the move or stationary. Sierratradingpost.com has GREAT deals!

Smartwool is fantastic as I wear their socks. Re: Tops, if you're sensitive to wool next to the skin, this could be a problem. The newer tops are much softer and do not itch.

If you're headed into really cold climates and conditions, Capilene by Patagonia makes an Expedition weight that is very warm. Some find it too warm. You'll have to experiment yourself to see which works for you.

By and large, the midweight Zip-T with the zipper is what I wear most. It is a shorter turtlenck which protects my neck from getting the cold down the front and back of my upper torso. In fact, when I'm moving in the cold, I usually only wear the Zip-T, with a Marmor DriClime top and sometimes a light micro fleece over this. If it's really windy, I take off the fleece and wear a Gore Tex lightweight mountaineering parka. Very light but warm.

Good luck on your selection and buy quality! I have about fifteen different baselayer tops and six bottoms in the gear closet. I wear them all and they all have their advantages. The midweight is my fav as I said and the Strider T in the summer can't be beat.

If you are on a budget, you may want to check out REI right now. I make no claims of grand knowledge - in fact, up until yesterday the only thermal stuff I have ever used was the old fashioned "dimple" stuff. However, reading this thread reminded me how much I hate being cold, and so I figured it was time to upgrade as hunting season starts next week.

Anyway, I took a gander over to the local REI yesterday, and found that they were having their Winter sale - lots of cold weather gear for 20-30% off. I got a set of their midweight house brand tops and bottoms for $22/ea. For all I could tell, it was identical to the Capilene stuff that I was going to get for 2x as much. Talked to the sales guy, who said there was virtually no difference. Not sure how knowledgable he was either, but if he was simply trying to make a sale, I figure he'd of pointed me to the more expensive (and not on sale) stuff.

I tested them out this morning - took a stroll for an hour or so right around sunrise. It was 34F and very windy. News reported windchill in the high teens, low 20's. I wore the new thermals under just a pair of jeans on the bottom, and a cheapie, thin, not otherwise very warm pullover sweatshirt and an uninsulated, plain nylon windbreaker to help with the wind on top. So... not particularly warm gear - I would have been freezing without the thermals. However, I was nice and toasty with them. Granted, I was moving, and the real test will be out in the woods trying to stand still, but I am optomistic...

Rocko

Thermals

After trying most of the products out there, I have settled on Blue Johns Chlorofiber Thermals from Canada. They are very thin and quite comfortable as a first layer. They wick better than anything I have tried, but they feel like cotton. I don't like the "recycled coke bottle feel" from many of the other synthetics.

They used to sell Blue Johns in the Gander Mountain catalog. Since Gander Mountain no longer exists, you may want to try the internet or directory assistance. I believe they are in the Vancouver area.

Then, you may want to try one of the thicker models (as described above) over the blue johns. Also, as stated above, layering is key. The bottom layer should be comfortable and have excellent wicking. The outer layers can provide more warmth and less wicking.

Hope this helps.

how bout something simple? Carharts - I like the normal weight insulation, they have an arctic grade too. Get the bibs, they won't restrict your arms/uper body.
I stay plenty warm working outside in the winter in ohio, even just sitting on a tractor (no cab) with the normal weight. Get the arctic weight and you should be good to go, you might find it difficult to walk to your stand with all them clothes on but you should be warm.
Of course, I think you'd have to settle for brown or black, an they don't come with any super sniper scent lock adjustable camo. So maybe its not such a good idea ;)

Back