There must be something wrong with me

I guess I have never gone though that. I did have about 8 years where I did not hunt but it was not because I didn't want to. I was living in the city and was a salary worker working my butt off 7 days a week.

The past few years I have been getting more and more in to alternatives to rifle hunting. Been doing lots of handgun and a bit of archery.

I all so stopped using my big guns much of the time. My favorite deer rifle is now a 357 magnum. I still carry the old 45/70 when I am in unfamiliar grounds because, while they are rare there are still a few grizzlies here in Idaho.

I think the idea of teaching some body else to hunt would really help. I like to take my oldest boy (now 10 years old) hunting. He has not showed an interest in shooting animals (he does enjoy target shooting) but fortunately he does like to spend time with the old man.

p.s. I all so like hunting with my father. My grandfather passed a few years ago and I kick my self every time I think about not going on that last hunt with him because I was "too busy" :( I wont let that happen with my dad!

Good grief, what a timely thread...at least as it applies to me.

I have had the same experience as you for the last 5yrs. Hunting in my area has turned into such a hassle that I had decided that it was not worth it, especially combined with the other time consuming things in my life in the same time frame. Teenagers and sports activities that tend to take up every weekend or at least a part of it that interfered with going hunting. Also, at 50yrs old, that cold weather is not nearly as comfortable as it used to be. I have hunted many a cold, wet day and had pretty good success and never thought twice about it...not so much anymore.

But, alas, I have been rejuvenated . Last Saturday morning my 17yr old son killed his first deer and I was in a box blind with him because of circumstances beyond our control put us there and I am so fortunate that it worked out that way. I was truly blessed to have been present for this right-of-passage in his life and mine. This Saturday we were not able to go hunting because of another sports event, my son was blessed to be selected to play in a state allstar football game about 100 miles from our home, so that event precluded our hunting yesterday and he had about the best game he has played in his 4yrs of high school football...so it was worth it. However, I am eagerly awaiting next Saturday morning...WE WILL BE THERE.

Last edited:
Back