There is no ammo shortage

emperor newsom just made online ammo purchases illegal. here in the golden state, you should probably invest in knives... or sticks and stones. thats what they want you to have. zero ammo. I'm having fun with a new bb gun. i know it sounds silly, but its fun!
Tar and feather him!

Even mostly prepared folks might hurt by the end of this one. I don’t see an end in sight right now, and I’ve got maybe another year before I run short of some stock. Other stock I can stretch further. That’s assuming I continue my current shooting habits. Of course not only do I supply my ammo, but ammo for my kids. Thank goodness my son got into .45 as I have a good bit of LPP.

I don’t see all stock returning to normal within a year. Guys who shoot odd ball calibers will be in this conundrum much longer. I highly doubt a lot of 6.5 carcano, 7mm-08, or other less common calibers get any attention from manufacturers right now. And it will be after there is a very good stock of common calibers before we start to see any production shift to the lesser common calibers. Yeah I get it, that’s why we reload. Still, I doubt many .323 or .312 projectiles are being made right now. I see 2+ years before some of this stuff trickles back in.

I don’t see an end in sight right now, and I’ve got maybe another year before I run short of some stock

you must not be looking very hard then. PV, Midsouth, even Midway are doing powder drops about once a week now and it is taking longer for them to sell out. My LGS is getting small shipments in occasionally of powder and primers. Yester day I had dozen or more options on where to buy when looking for some 175 gn .308 bullets, I ended up ordering 500 Barnes Match Burners but there were at least 10 more shops offering SMK's

I don’t see all stock returning to normal within a year.

Yeah, gonna be a while. I'm helping the local guys all I can, since I cast my own bullets. The 9mm guys gotta really be hurting, since they always said "I can buy ammo for cheaper than I can reload". My only hope is that a whole new generation of shooters are paying attention to this and once this shortage ends, they have the wisdom and foresight to stock up before it happens again.

Don

hounddawg,

I know you like to paint a rosy picture, but having something online remain available for 30 minutes now instead of 15 minutes is not a return to normality by any stretch of the imagination. Things are bleak and everyone seems to know it except you.

Don

I am not saying it is rosy by any means but it is not as bleak as some make it out to be. I found several suitable powders, a 500 box of 105 gn 6mm bullets, and some Starline grendel brass for my 6 ARC build last month with a little effort and persistence

It takes a bit of digging locally or being quick when PV etc do their drops but is certainly not impossible to find powders and the occasional primer drop. The alternative is to sit in a corner wondering who stole the cheese or pay stupid high prices and buy from the scalpers at gunshows and on gunbroker. Or just take up a new hobby until Midway has 8 pounders of Varget and cases of CCI's on their site 24 and 7

USSR:
Things are bleak and everyone seems to know it except you.

There is an ammo shortage. It is slowly getting better. If you can't/refuse to see that, that's on you. "Getting better" does not mean "awesome". I see no need to feed the panic buying, either in encouraging people to scarf up anything they see on the shelf/online or paying any price to scrounge whatever they can.

I see no need to feed the panic buying, either in encouraging people to scarf up anything they see on the shelf/online or paying any price to scrounge whatever they can.

Not feeding any panic buying or telling people to scarf up whatever is available. Just facing up to the facts, and if you don't see it for what it is, "that's on you".

Don

Even mostly prepared folks might hurt by the end of this one. I don’t see an end in sight right now, and I’ve got maybe another year before I run short of some stock. Other stock I can stretch further. That’s assuming I continue my current shooting habits. Of course not only do I supply my ammo, but ammo for my kids. Thank goodness my son got into .45 as I have a good bit of LPP.

I don’t see all stock returning to normal within a year. Guys who shoot odd ball calibers will be in this conundrum much longer. I highly doubt a lot of 6.5 carcano, 7mm-08, or other less common calibers get any attention from manufacturers right now. And it will be after there is a very good stock of common calibers before we start to see any production shift to the lesser common calibers. Yeah I get it, that’s why we reload. Still, I doubt many .323 or .312 projectiles are being made right now. I see 2+ years before some of this stuff trickles back in.
I use to shoot a lot of .45; then I switched over to 9mm because I can stretch the cost further. A few years ago, I ran into a dealer that was selling small pistol primers at $20 a brick; I bought him out and am glad I did. I have enough stock to last until Joey chokes on a chicken bone.

I pretty much did the same thing, 101combatvet, stocked up when prices were low. Am hoping that some guys do this when things return to normal (or nearly normal).

Don

USSR said:
Am hoping that some guys do this when things return to normal (or nearly normal

Most won't. I've preached for years about the importance of buying extra and stockpiling for the inevitable storm and people just won't listen. During the Trump administration, everything gun-related was abundant and cheap, yet so many just shot "hand and mouth" assuming the consumer supply would last forever. Then comes the day when we observe a political shift and the trainwreck and the "forever-lasting" supplies disappear literally in a month, and the internet crying ensues again just like the past gun panics.

Back