There are at least 40 people in Oklahoma that are as smart as a house plant

Dust Monkey

This is disturbing to say the least.

Police tell owners: 'We're inspecting your guns'
Investigators searching community for firearm used in murder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: August 21, 2008
1:00 am Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily

Oklahoma police investigating the shooting deaths of two girls have told area residents with guns to bring them in for a test to determine whether they were used in the attack, sparking concern among those who own guns for hunting and self-defense.

According to reports in the Tulsa World the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation sent letters to members of the community who were registered as owning .40-caliber handguns suggesting they voluntarily bring in their gun or guns for a test.

The individuals who were "invited" to bring their guns in but didn't now will be included in the ongoing investigation, as well as people who were identified by former owners as having purchased that type of weapon recently, authorities said.

"We'll be checking on them," Jessica Brown, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, told the newspaper.

The investigation is into the June 8 shooting deaths of Skyla Jade Whitaker, 11, and Taylor Paschal-Placker, 13, who died when they were shot several times on a road about four miles from Weleetka. Authorities say two guns were used in the killings, but they haven't released much information about the weapons until they now confirmed one was a .40-caliber.

They have not yet identified the second type of weapon used.

Authorities said they sent out about 60 letters, and about 40 gun owners voluntarily brought in their weapons to the Okfuskee County Courthouse at Okemah for testing over the weekend.

Brown said those weapons were taken by investigators and test-fired, and the results of those tests now are being evaluated. She said nearly half a dozen former gun owners contacted authorities to identify new owners, and another 15 gun owners did not show up.

Those who participated in a forum on the newspaper website expressed sympathy for the victims and their families, but worried about the maneuver of inspecting privately owned guns without a search warrant or probable cause.

"This is a really sad story. My heart goes out to the families involved," said one participant. "For some reason, though, it bothers me that 60 gun owners were asked to 'voluntarily' relinquish their legally-owned firearms."

Wrote a second, "Since when does Oklahoma have handgun registration? … I seriously hope they catch the vermin responsible for this, but I'm disturbed by the implication that Oklahoma, one of the most free states in the USA, has handgun registration."

Another, identified only as ok sooner and who reported spending time in law enforcement, added, "I would never 'voluntarily submit their weapons for testing.' Get a warrant."

"I'm with ok sooner," said a fourth. "I wouldn’t voluntarily submit my firearms to law enforcement without a warrant, either. This is really starting to bother me. Why ask 60 citizens to do this? Or maybe they're waiting for somebody to refuse to submit 'voluntarily' whereupon they do get a warrant."

On the forums page for the Oklahoma Shooters Association, the readers were even more alarmed.

"Why don't they just test fire all the .40 cal handguns in Oklahoma? Yeah, that's the ticket," said one person. "I hate to perhaps sound callous about the tragedy, that's not my intent at all, but this is some of the goofiest stuff I've ever heard of."

"What the OSBI stupidly did was ensure that, if the real murderer still has the murder weapon and got one of these letters, he will now WITHOUT DOUBT destroy it POST HASTE," said another.

"Human beings can only interact with one another through two methods: reason or force. If at any point, either party chooses force, the other must either submit or respond with force," warned another participant. "I prefer reason. But I am ready to respond with force. Submission is not an option."

"The issue of private control of firearms in the United States has been a hot topic this year in light of the Washington, D.C., dispute over a complete ban on private handguns. In that case, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that individuals in the United States do have the right to bear arms, although that right can be regulated.

The District of Columbia city council promptly adopted emergency legislation that would replace its handgun ban with a laundry list of regulations and requirements, including several described by the Gun Owners of America as equally unconstitutional to the ban.

Those include a gun license requirement, a ban on semiautomatics, new ballistics requirements, requirements for trigger locks and requirements to keep guns unloaded.

"It's no wonder that the District is awash with lawlessness. The contempt for the law starts in the city council chambers," said GOA Executive Director Larry Pratt.

The Supreme Court ruling was the first definitive statement on the 2nd Amendment in decades. The court said, in Justice Antonin Scalia's majority opinion, the Constitution does not permit "the absolute prohibition of handguns held and used for self-defense in the home."

Scalia was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Anthony Kennedy and Clarence Thomas. Joining Justice John Paul Stevens in dissent were Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David Souter.

The amendment, ratified in 1791, says: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

http://http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=72906

I live in Oklahoma and this is the goofiest thing I have ever heard. First of all, we don't have gun registration, so there is no possible way for the Bureau of Investigation to know for sure who owns a .40 in any particular town. Secondly, if this is a small town then it is likely that the police officers have to supply their own guns for duty. Are police officers that pack .40's suspect too?

Update:

The 4th Amendment means nothing to these retards in Oklahoma. I hope that all of the 20 tell the cops to pound sand, and get a warrant.

http://http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,408781,00.html

.40-Caliber Glock Used in Slaying of Oklahoma Girls
Friday , August 22, 2008

By Sara Bonisteel

ADVERTISEMENT
It was a .40-caliber Glock.

In their latest effort to solve a double-murder that thus far has neither motive nor suspects, Oklahoma police have revealed the make of one of the weapons used to kill two young girls on a country road nearly 10 weeks ago.

Police say two guns were used to kill 13-year-old Taylor Paschal-Placker and 11-year-old Skyla Jade Whitaker as they took an afternoon walk down County Line Road in Okfuskee County on June 8. It's a "brutal and deliberate" crime that has stymied investigators in this rural area 70 miles south of Tulsa.

"Since we don't have a motive, we just can't look in one direction for a certain person," Jessica Brown, spokeswoman for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, told FOXNews.com. "It's wide open."

Click here for photos.

In a state that doesn't require gun registration, officials have had to canvas local pawn shops to check sales records for Glocks. They compiled a list of 60 gun owners and tested the weapons of about 40 last weekend. But they still need to test more.

"Here's the only way it's going to help us probably, if someone just bought a gun or they loaned it to someone recently right before the homicides and got it back," Brown said.

Officials said they were checking up with the remaining 20 gun owners to see why they chose not to have their weapons tested. "We just want people to cooperate so we can find this weapon, and then the person who had it in his hand," Brown said.
Whoever shot the girls was thorough. The state Medical Examiner's office found Whitaker had eight wounds to the arms, chest, abdomen and neck, and Paschal-Placker had five gunshot wounds to the head, groin and hand.

The girls were best friends; they were killed as they walked down to a bridge for exercise during a sleepover weekend. Authorities suspect the killers live in the area, and that has the county's 11,250 residents living in fear.

At the girls' school, classes are on lockdown throughout the school day, and the small school body is down by about 10 students.

"We’ve really tightened up our security here," Wanda Mankin, the elementary principal of Graham School, said.

Students, who have been offered professional counseling, were given green and purple bracelets that read "In Memory of Taylor and Skyla B.F.F." when school started on Aug. 7. The colors were the girls' favorites.

"One of our bus routes used to go by the crime scene, and we rerouted the bus even though it takes a little longer and a little more fuel," Mankin said. "We don’t go by there anymore."

Investigators have been searching for a "person of interest" in the case since mid-June. Described as a 6-foot American Indian, about 35, with long black hair, he was seen driving a white Ford or Chevy single-cab pickup truck on County Line Road around the time of the shooting.

Indian activists have said they aren't surprised police haven't been able to find him.

"That could be any Indian in Oklahoma," said Brenda Golden, an activist originally from Weleetka.

Authorities say the description is all they have to go on.

"There’s nothing we can do about that," Brown said. "That’s exactly what the multiple witnesses told us. We asked them to get more specific, of course, and that’s the best they could do."

Golden, who now lives in Oklahoma City, said the fear of police persecution is one reason the large Indian community isn't talking.

"We're not going to get treated fairly," she said shortly after the murders. "Automatically people are assuming that this Indian did something wrong just because he was in the vicinity."

Police stress the Indian is not a suspect.

"He was just seen in the area close to the time the girls were shot and killed," Brown said. "That is such a remote area that that stood out to us."

Late last month, investigators released the tape of Taylor's grandmother calling 911 in an effort to warm a cooling trail of leads. Brown said it gave investigators good tips, but still, no arrests.

"This is unusual, but we have many cases where it's a whodunit that we have to go to the public to ask for help," Brown said.

In this case, all investigators have had to go on is a rural crime scene, the bullet-riddled bodies of two little girls and an inkling that these friends may have stumbled upon someone doing something so bad it led to murder.

"When it all finally comes together, I hope we’re wrong," Mankin said. "I do hope it's not someone who lives here among us."

letter.jpg

I want to see the next step these Keystone Kops make...
There are at least 40 people in Oklahoma that are as smart as a house plant
Why do I feel house plants have just been insulted?

Yeah, it's such a burden and infringement on your rights to cooperate in even the smallest way with an investigation into a murder of two little girls. :rolleyes:

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask instead "why should I?"

Excuse me? You agree with this tactic?!? So it's OK with you if someone in a blue Honda Civic does a hit and run in your city, that the Police send everyone in the area who owns a Blue Honda Civic a letter to drive that car to the station for examination and inspection, and by the way, have someone pick you up as they will be keeping it a little while. They also imply that should you not sheepishly surrender your car, you should be prepare to be harassed by the Police and forced to give up your car until they are satisfied you are not who they want. By the way, in this scenario, you just happen to own a Blue Honda Civic. This is OK with you? :confused:

I am sorry for the murder of the 2 girls, and my prayers go out to their families. But, MY RIGHTS are first in my book. I dont give a damn for what its for, or what the cops are trying to do. I will not release ANY of my property without a warrant presented. Period. If I lived in OK, and a cop showed up on my door wondering why I did not show up to have my pistol test fired, I would ask for a warrant. If he did not have one, he would get told to get bent and to leave my property.

This sets a dangerous precedent. And I am ashamed of any gun owner that would participate at the expense of their rights. If the cops are not smart enough or just plain lazy not to investigate this the correct way, why should a citizen sacrifice his rights. Sorry, wont happen here.

Yes it's ok with me.

And if I got a letter like that in the mail following a horrendous crime like that, I'd bring my gun down for testing. Honest men have nothing to fear and cowards are contemptible.

And BTW, the article said nothing about keeping the gun. In fact, the letter says straight up that they test-fire it and return it to you. This crap about "sacrificing rights" is just that--crap. I defy anyone here to show me how this in any way harms or disenfranchises you...unless you just murdered two little girls.

Didn't they try that with DNA somewhere that there was a rape, wanted all the men in town to submit to DNA testing and make anyone who blew off the notice a suspect? Who would turn in their gun if they knew it was evidence and they did it anyway? Does not sound like their suspect was anyone from the local area anyway. Hey while you are at it turn in all your guns so it will save you a trip in the future sometime, maybe. Sounds like they are at a total loss and this will not find them anything to go on. Unfortunately will have to wait till the next time it happens and hope that something turns up with better evidence, IMO. That is bad.

We will have to agree to disagree. You can choose to give your rights away. I choose not only to keep mine but to fight for yours as well.

Tom2, you KNOW they aren't going to keep all that data in a database and use it against anyone later should another crime, ANY crime, be committed with a .40. Yeah, and that went so well, why don't we streamline this and require this process when you BUY a gun. What? You don't want gun registration, DNA registration, Fingerprint registration "just in case?" The slope is very slippery and it's all down hill.

I personally think it is a stupid tactic. With that said, it does not in any way infringe upon anyone's rights and the 2nd Amendment isn't being violated in any way as suggested by the WND article posted by Dust Monkey.

Contrary to Dust Monkey, these people have in no way sacrificed their rights. No unreasonable search and seizure is being made (4th Amendment). While they have the right to decline the request that is stated as being voluntary, they also have the right to comply.

Again, what "rights" are given away? What do you lose or how are you harmed?

I can wait all night for an answer to this one.
Exactly what rights are violated by police asking for your cooperation?

None.

Although no rights were violated or given away it establishes a disturbing precedent – as noted a slippery slope where the request becomes a requirement.

I would not comply.

None. Not by simply asking. What follows for those who did not "volunteer" is the issue as well as what is to be done with all the data collected from all those innocent gun owners? Do you think that information won't be compared to all past unsolved crimes involving a .40? Do you think that data won't be kept and use against these people in the future? I have the right to say "no thanks." I choose not to give up that right which is what these people are being asked to do.

I've said my share. I'll let others take it from here.

Do you think that information won't be compared to all past unsolved crimes involving a .40? Do you think that data won't be kept and use against these people in the future?

Unless you have committed a crime with that gun or plan to, so what?

And the "slippery slope" argument really doesn't fly. Let's stick to this instance and similar situations.

Again, where's the harm in being a decent citizen and member of the community?

Hi,

Wow, I expected better from the members here. I can't believe many are arguing that this is ok. I'm in Oklahoma and this crap sickens me that it would happen here. I'd expect it to happen somewhere else, but here, I am surprised. I guess we are all just one "panic" or crime away from our rights going to the trash can.

Yeah, they only asked. On official letter head in a way that does not sound optional. What happens if you don't flush your rights down the toilet and take your time and resources to comply? That raises more suspicion and you will likely have them at your door. Why? Because a real lead led them to your door? No, because you bought a gun and that is being used against you. Make no mistake, this is a serious violation and a very slippery slope.

Alan

Back