The WORST gun for home defense.

In general, I'd say the worse home defense guns would probably include the .50 caliber and big game calibers. Not that they wouldn't stop an intruder but the intruder along with a few walls probably wouldn't stop rounds from killing billy Joe Bob a few hundred yards away.

I think it would be difficult to use a GE Minigun for self defense, same goes with the Barrett 82A1.

Seriously, I'm not a fan of rifles for home defense. Nor shotguns for that matter. At home defense distances, handguns work nicely. They are easier to conceal, store and get to if necessary. The reason I don't like shotguns is that they could make a real mess of your home, especially with the shorter barrel HD 12 gauge guns.

I personally prefer 9mm and 10mm handguns. 10mm for old farts who's hearing is already shot.

For extra irony points, I'm going to go with Cobray's Lady's Home Companion.

Basically a Cobray street sweeper pistol (no stock or foregrip) rifled and chambered in .45-70. Eight pound total weight. Horrendous trigger. Low magazine capacity. Chambered in a cartridge fit for buffalo. I believe it fails to meet the "Lady", "Home", AND "Companion" attributes its name would imply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TygqLGNnXJE

The worst? Easy. An empty one. Because if you pull it out to scare somebody off, you might need to use it if they don't scare well.

pelo801 wrote:Any carbine length 30-ish cal surplus rifle, bolt or not.
The M1 carbine with Speer #1835 H.P. or a proper soft point negates that opinion. Jim Cirillo proved that time and time over in real life with soft point ammunition.

Kevin Rohrer wrote: Any handgun whose caliber does not begin w/ a "4" or larger.
Your 40 Short & Wimpy vs. 357 Magnum with 125 gr. JHP...any flavor. Yeah...you and everyone else who makes that statement continue to propogate a serious falsehood.

I'll go with the gun with the trigger lock on in a Ca. approved gun safe with the ammunition stored in another location. OR the U.K. method of gun locked in a safe semi disassembled with the ammunition locked in another location.

Basically a Cobray street sweeper pistol (no stock or foregrip) rifled and chambered in .45-70. Eight pound total weight. Horrendous trigger. Low magazine capacity. Chambered in a cartridge fit for buffalo. I believe it fails to meet the "Lady", "Home", AND "Companion" attributes its name would imply.

.45-70? :eek: I've actually heard of that gun (I think) but I thought it was a .410

The worst gun for home defense is one that don't fire all the time or one you have hidden back so far you can't get to it easily.
If someone has a gun to your daughter's head even a gun that over penetrates is a good gun. I would take a chance of hitting something not intended than watch my daughter die.
A gun you can't depend on is a risk & a gun you can't easily reach is useless.

I'd like to give that a whirl! Looks like fun.

Honestly LASERS!

Anything powerful enough blinds you instantly without eye protection that more or less makes you blind.

Back