"The World's strongest bolt action"

AFAIK there is zero published data supporting what action is stronger than another. Yes, Ackley “tested” a number to destruction, but only one example of each - poor science. And what was the history of those actions? Stressed in the past by firing with mud/snow in the muzzle? Poor heat treating in a wartime factory? Arsenal “refinished”? Rifle in a fire at some point? The tests would make a nice “magazine article” but no real science there.

Bottom line, no pressure data so no definitive answer. But....lots of opinions.

I think the conclusion is that until someone proves otherwise, whoever say's they have the strongest action can make that claim if they wish.

Rechambering and re-throating the 6.5 Jap to 30-06 was an armature mistake, but it did happen now and then. (made them into 6.5 -06s without using 6.5MM bullets in the ammo. Unreal! But it was done. I personally saw one done that way, the the man who had it was the son of the GI who brought it back from the Pacific, and had been shooting it as a 30-06 for 35 years before I saw it.

Here is another such story which was in out local news just recently

https://county10.com/lookback-japanese-arisaka-type-38/

I can assure you all, a 700 is NOT as strong.

I'd rad somewhere years ago that to prove the strength of the MK V action, Roy Weatherby shoved a 30 cal bullet up the barrel of a 300 Weatherby and fired a factory 300 Weatherby behind it,,,,from the shoulder. Now I find that abb but impossible to believe. Even if it were true, I strongly suspect the barrel would have blown. Bring's to mind, what good an action that's good to 80K if the barrel isn't? Although I think it was Ackley that tested the Savage rifle up to 80K. Wonder what that did to the barrel? Imagine some guy showing you his rifle with the barrel blown open like a banana smiling because the action held together!:eek:

from my feeble mind it occurs to me that strong does not also mean good gas control. I though I remember Remington saying the that the front of the bolt lip expands and seal itself and prevents gas from coming back to your eyes.(during a blow up) fwiw. bobn

Don Fischer

I'd rad somewhere years ago that to prove the strength of the MK V action, Roy Weatherby shoved a 30 cal bullet up the barrel of a 300 Weatherby and fired a factory 300 Weatherby behind it,,,,from the shoulder. Now I find that abb but impossible to believe. Even if it were true, I strongly suspect the barrel would have blown. Bring's to mind, what good an action that's good to 80K if the barrel isn't? Although I think it was Ackley that tested the Savage rifle up to 80K. Wonder what that did to the barrel? Imagine some guy showing you his rifle with the barrel blown open like a banana smiling because the action held together!
The Mark V has been tested way past 80K psi.
A bull barrel will handle the pressure to do the test.
Just for discussion, I saw a 270 WSM Squibb shot and then numbscull racked another round in and fired. It bulged the standard sported barrel, but not much. App. 1/8" for 3" long.

The strongest action means nothing. If you are shooting a rifle that is more than capable of
pressures for the cartridge you are using, what's the point? I've heard Jap rifles were the strongest, so what I'm not shooting nuclear bombs. I have had rifles built on Enfields, Springfields, M98 and Win 70s and have yet to blow on up.

I though I remember Remington saying the that the front of the bolt lip expands and seal itself and prevents gas from coming back to your eyes.(during a blow up) fwiw.

I had a serious case failure in a model 600 Remington (due to my own stupidity), and gas did hit me in the cheek. I think a model 700 would be the same, under the same conditions.

As far as the strongest? does it really matter? The model 600 I nearly blew up survived somewhere between 90-100,000 psi, according to the signs on the case. I was told at the time that Remington proof tests to 80,000psi. Seems to me that claiming to be the strongest, based on blow up limits is foolish.

If you test and the action lets go at 90K and you test another and it lets go at 97K or 112K, technically its stronger, but practically, its a moot point, I think.

as a kid, I frequented a semi retired gun smith who was a big .270 Win mdl 70 fan; however, he had an article that described the testing to show the Rem 721 as the strongest action--and the most accurate

Back