The UPS Store

jkkimberfan

On Tuesday, 6/03/2008, I went to The UPS Store (New Jersey) to ship a pair of simple solid wood handgun grips. The UPS clerk told me she did not think they could ship it, because it was hazardous material. I asked for the manager, who agreed and I asked if he could call the UPS corporate office and ask if this was indeed company policy? He called and confirmed, that they could not ship ANYTHING from a gun, not even a SCREW.

UPS Stores will not accept firearms. It was corporate policy of Mail Boxes Etc before UPS bought them out. Never believed they would not except wood pistol grips. Now put the grips in a padded envelop and take it the Post Office.

I've shipped ALOT of parts through our little UPS store here, they've never had a problem with it. Actually a couple of times I've been there mailing out parts there was others there mailing out parts as well. If I'm going to ship a firearm though I have to go to the customer center in either Pampa or Amarillo.

you don't tell them what you're shipping - especially when it comes to firearm-related items

the haz-mat thing is a load of BS. Go to US Postal service for a heck of a lot cheaper

This seems to be happening in some UPS stores and it must have something to do with the individuals more than UPS. I am getting two pistols tomorrow by UPS.

Well, New Jersey has among the most abusive, draconian gun laws in the country, so I'm not surprised that a business lives in abject terror of mistakenly violating one of them.

Of course, then there's the question of why anyone would WANT to ship anything via UPS if they didn't have to. http://www.unitedpackagesmashers.com/

Okay the UPS Store is considered a third party shipper so it cannot ship guns or handgun frames. That is against UPS rules.

As for parts this particular store was wrong. They can ship mags, grips etc....

Ive shipped several handguns by UPS. They won't accept them at their stores, have to go to the Customer Service Centers where they're quite knowledgeable and easy to deal with. They do require handguns to be sent overnight air.

I've recieved gun parts (grips etc.) by UPS. The interpretation of their regs sounds like a local "I don't like guns or anything to do with them" position.

UPS store employee

It was wrapped in bubble wrap. She demanded to know what was inside, I handed the wrapped grips to her, she started unwrapping it to look at the item, I stopped her, she said she would not accept it unless she knew what it was, then I told her and she opened it and examined the grips, then informed me it was hazardous material, to which the manager confirmed.

jkkimberfan said:
It was wrapped in bubble wrap. She demanded to know what was inside, I handed the wrapped grips to her, she started unwrapping it to look at the item, I stopped her, she said she would not accept it unless she knew what it was, then I told her and she opened it and examined the grips, then informed me it was hazardous material, to which the manager confirmed.
I would have told them to shove it. They're too expensive anyway...

Unitied Parcel Service

ups ripped off a friend of mine several months back.

jim, shipped a cookson 18th century repro fowling muzzle loader with

ups and insured it for replacement...about $500.00.

the musket was delivered broken in two at the wrist.

after weeks of deliberation and lies UPS refused to honor the insurance claim.

reasons?...the item was not shipped in an approved UPS box, yet the counter person never disclosed this information. also the counter person accepted the box and never made reference to using an approved UPS box.

these folks are definiately anti-gun!

the owner of a local gun shop here in central florida says he has dropped the words "shooting store" from his label when returning a gun to the factory for warrenty. He stated, when shooting store is on the label, the box usually arrives smashed!

my personal experience is that all the companies have an anti-gun policy....
even the USPS. i have had good luck with USPS and FEDEX though.

cheers, :)

Depends on store/persons.

I guess it depends on the store owner, store manager and store employees. If they are anti gun, then they will NOT ship a gun or any gun part (or break them). I do not know whether the clerk or the manager were anti gun or not, but the clerk said they were not allowed by "Law" to ship any guns, gun parts, "Not even a screw" as she put it. And by the way, I even asked the clerk if she was "anti gun" and she said "No, I really don't care at all", she was just saying it was the "Law", which I believe she meant to say company rules.

Not regular UPS

"ive gotten hundreds of UPS shipments with gun related items(from ammo to AR uppers)...never had a problem."

This ocurred at a UPS STORE not the regular UPS, when you wrap/box your item yourself and drop it off or it gets picked up. This was at a store where they will wrap your item (which was my case) and ship it. My gun grip were wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap, so you could sort of make out what it was, and it was not sealed, so she was able to slide them out from the bubble wrap and clearly see what it was and deny shipment. My intentions was for the store clerk to wrap it more and box it for me and then ship it (I pay $3.69 for this service) even after the shipment was denied, since I needed a box and more bubble wrap etc.. I should have told them to shove it though.

i understand...

i was talking more along the lines of damaged shipments etc.

i love UPS for their tracking(over USPS,DHL,FEDEX) and the worst ive ever had happen was a shipment delayed for a day(happened twice over hundreds of shipments IIRC).ive had all kinds of problems with the USPS however.

UPS

as for my own experience......

i have had rifles....22cal full size shipped fedex & USPS and the box arrived in picture shape as if it had never been handled.

long guns are different. my last musket had the box broke open and looked mighty ragged, though there was considerable weight in the box with 100 minie balls and other items packed with the rifle.

the point i was sharing with everyone is that UPS would not honor their insurance policy.

from what i have read through other forums, all the carriers are anti-gun and will ship dont' ask don't tell sort of thing but will default to their anti-gun policy if lost or breakage is apparent.

shipper beware!

Back