The "ultimate" trunk rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaddeus

With the proliferation of terrorist activites, I am thinking that a rifle in the trunk is a good idea. I would not want to have faced those two punks in Littleton with my handgun, but would have felt obligated to and probably would have died trying.

So, I am going to look into a trunk rifle.
My criteria:
1) Cheap (because I have had many things stolen out of my car, and wouldn't be surprised if it happened)

2) Mucho firepower at close to medium range. Must be semi auto or otherwise very fast, and must be quickly re/loadable (typically mag fed).

3) INNOCENT looking. No matter what, if you get in your trunk and pull out a rifle, no matter whose side you are on, you are going to be looked at under scrutiny, probably on the news and by the pubic masses. Not only that, but if a Police Officer sees your (legal) rifle in the trunk, he would be less likey to be alarmed if is it not "black".

4) Common ammo. Personally, I like to keep with guns that use ammo that is EASY to come by at any time. I might be willing to fudge on this one, but it would be nice if ammo were cheap and very easy to find...and also made in USA (ammo) since import ammo is being targeted and banned.

Because I realize the risk of it getting stolen and into the wrong hands, I plan on mounting a quick-combination safe in the trunk to store the ammo (in their magazines). I have one such safe mounted in my Jeep and it workes like a charm. Punch a couple buttons and it opens instantly, but I don't want a bad guy getting into my trunk and coming out with a fully loaded "assault rifle".

So, an AR15 variant would be PERFECT, but too expensive and too scary looking. Next, a Ruger Mini-14 would be perfect as well, but I really feel like I could get the job done for less money. (I would love to find an inexpensive, not-scary-looking rifle that accepts AR15 mags, BTW, but don't know of any).

Something along the lines of a (shudder) SKS would fit the bill of cheap, accurate enough, reliable enough, and mag fed, but then again, I am not sure about ammo availability, and frankly that gun kindof offends me ;)
How about an older American rifle like the M1 carbine or something? Sounds good to me, but I don't know anything about it. I ripped right past the inexpensive or older "defensive" carbines, and in my collecting years ago I went right to the European and upper level stuff. So, I don't know anything about the M1, and my knowledge of anything under $500 is nil. So, please tell me about some good inexpensive "defense" rifles that would fit my "trunk gun" criteria.

Or, input your own ideas of what makes a good "trunk gun" and help me expand my list. This could make for a very fun thread with lots of ideas. Safety ideas are welcome also: measuress that keep the rifle safe and inaccessable, but allow me to *quickly* get it, such as a gun lock with the key around my neck for example...

Ps- the 12 guage is certainly a consideration, but I would like to stick to carbines at this point. Feel free to talk about shotguns, but please don't forget to tell me about some carbines too ;)

I almost always have a 12 gauge behind the seat of the truck.. most often my Benelli. At times I have had a carbine as well, or instead of the shotgun.

I have a GB version of the Mini-14 with two loaded mags and two boxes of ammo in a soft case, a thin, padded one from ACE CASE. The case is pretty short, and the rifle fits in there nicely with the stock folded.

I used to have a Bronco with tinted windows, and I had two permenant rifle racks in the back, one on each side, under the level of the windows. Most often I had the mini-14 on one side and the Benneli on the other. In those days there was a "grab bag" inthe back of the truck as well, which contained spare mags and extra ammo for both long guns. in addition to other gear.

------------------
-Essayons

My trunk rifle is a Lee-Enfield No5 Mk1 Jungle carbine look-alike. Navy Arms converts No4 Mk1 Lee-Enfields to look like the Jungle carbine. Short barrel, handguards, flash hider, etc. You can probably pick one up for less than $200 and you'll have 10 rds of .303 that is quickly reloaded with stripper clips. It looks a lot more politically correct than an SKS or other semi auto.
Since your scenario included the Littleton punks, why do you want a semi-auto? Two perps, two rounds. I've got 8 left in the magazine.

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal
weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the
monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

How bout a Marlin Camp Carbine? They look like a innocent plinker but can take either 10rd. .45 mags or up to 30rd. 9mm mags. Plus they`re pretty cheap and reliable too. Wish I still had mine. Marcus

Right now I'd go with one of those Mas semiautomatics in .308. Less than $200 bucks and it's got good penetration for the rising tide of armor clad wackos which wreak havoc in our communities.

Easy to use and clean, but the sights absolutely suck. Front sight is like a big, fat, flat topped pyramid. Not good for precision shooting but good enough for 100 metres.

No Mini14 for me as a trunk gun. I like the Mini, but using your criteria of a gun which could be stolen, make it a Mas.

Another good cheapo and reliable gun is the SKS. Dump that with a bandoleer of 100 rounds and what more can you ask for? You can even scope it for less than $100.

Yeah, I'd have to say the SMLE #5 would be a good choice. The bolt comes out easily, and can be kept elsewhere in the vehicle. They are also available in .308, and called the #7. (but why would I do that to my buddy Lee?) First I'd have to get one though. I love my #1 mk3, but where can I get a #5, and what price is reasonable?

------------------
-Live free or die
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

[This message has been edited by John G (edited April 27, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by John G (edited April 28, 1999).]

a few thoughts;

- if the rifle had an easily removable bolt and/or bolt ass'y, you could keep that somewhere separate;

- you probably ought to chain/cable the gun to a really strong structural item. what bandits lack in IQ they make up for in leverage. I'd be worried about using a key lock and not having the key, but with a standard combo padlock there may not be enough light to see the numbers.

- Cooper suggests a .30-30 levergun, and I can't really argue with that. quick repeater, effective cartridge, antique appearance. I would think used ones would be quite cheap. run the chain thru the lever loop and its not going anywhere. slow to reload, though.

- shouldn't the first item be a level II (or better) vest?

Ivanhoe..

A level IIa Vest is among the standard Gear in the grab bag I mentioned. It is in my truck about 90% of the time.

Although you are going to have those who say that anyone carrying body armor around is looking for trouble and will regret that decision if they end up in Civil Court.. I say "B*******T"... it is a good piece of gear to have.

------------------
-Essayons

Hm, this would give me an excuse to buy that lever gun I have wanted.
What is the most powerful, common round that can be bought in a lever gun?

What are the comparable ballistics of the .44 mag out of the lever gun, as opposed to the 30-30 or others?

My buddy has a .44 mag lever gun, loves it, reloads for it which means I could get reloads from him.

I am assuming ,44 mag ammo is easier to come by and comes in more flavers. I don't want to sacrifice much hitting power though. I know that shooting handgun rounds out of a rifle is taboo and tends to ruin the whole point, but the .44 mag round might just be the exception...?

thanks,
thad

Do any lever guns come in .308?

Perhaps a good option would be to get a Savage Scout setup. Would the bouncing in my trunk offset the scope?

thanks,
thad

Thaddeus: Browning used to make a lever gun in .308. I don't know if it is still in production or not. As to power...Marlin makes (or made) lever guns in their own .444 Marlin caliber and also in .45-70...any one of these three would probably do what you want. Also, Savage used to make an excellent lever rifle w/a rotary magazine...I think it was available in .308 as well.

My own vote will go for an M1 carbine. Ammo seems to be cheap and plentiful and they are a reliable, reasonably accurate weapon. I inherited a Korean War vintage copy from my Dad. I think it will be just great behind the seat of my Ranger if I can find one of the Paratrooper folding stocks w/pistol grip. Only problem is that if you find one at a gun show, they want more for it than you have to pay for a M1 carbine! BTW, if anyone has or knows of someone with one of those stocks and is willing to part with it, I'm interested.

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited April 28, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited April 28, 1999).]

How about a Ruger 10/22. Seem to fit your stated needs. Perhaps the .22LR is a bit light for the job but maybe not - are you planning on a full scale battle, supressive fire, counter-sniper, or just enough firepower to frighten em off? Under 100m and barring body armor the little Ruger should take care of many situations. A next step up would be the lever action carbines in pistol calibers - slightly better range and more umph down range. When you get into the traditional rifle caibers you might start to lose the qualities you wanted and have problems employing such in urban environments. Of course if you're out in the bush you can go for the Ruger Mini-14/30 or the lever action carbine in .30-30.

I am in complete agreement with a trunk gun as well as concealed carry. I have an M1A that does the job nicely. However, living in Colorado, I go to great lengths to avoid driving through the Peoples Republic of Denver. They have draconian laws that allow the police to confiscate the gun in your car, confiscate your car (that's right- it's been done), and throw you in jail no matter how legal you would be elsewhere in Colorado and even if you have a current Colorado concealed carry permit. They also have a ban on "assault weapons". Our pre-emption law that most of us felt was a slam dunk and would have negated these laws died as a result of the Columbine High School shooting incident.

------------------

When I first read the initial post, the first thing that came to mind was a lever action as others have suggested. However, before going to bed last nite I was going through the April issue of Small Arms Review and they had an article in there about the Bushmaster M17S (S/T Ideal Compact Carbine). Maybe this would better fit the criteria. It does, however, have a slightly more aggressive look than a lever. It does take M16/AR15 mags though.

The price is a bit high $550-600.

http://www.bushmaster.com

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited April 28, 1999).]

The Browning Lever Action is the BLR; it is still in production and comes chambered in several popular rifle rounds (.308 among them). It has a 20 inch barrel, iron sights, and it drilled for scope mounting. Were I a right-handed shooter, this one would be my choice.

As a left-hander though, anything with right-side ejection is unsuitable. So, I would go with a Savage left-handed bolt rifle, barrel trimmed to 18 inches, probably in .223, topped with an inexpensive 2.5 power scope. This choice does not meet the mag fed requirement or issue, but in a self-defense situation I would only shoot enough to seek safety, not make a stand.

The Savage 99 (lever action) is still listed in their catalogue, but I never see them in retail establishments.

[This message has been edited by Trevor (edited April 28, 1999).]

Savage use to make their M99 lever action in .308 Winchester. It's been so long since I've pick up their catalog, I don't know whether they even make the M99 anymore. Anybody?

Thad, you sure are learning how to ask some very hard questions. Carrying a longslide on your hip is not comfortable or probably P.C.
You should be able to do what you need at a hundred yards or less with it though. If your are into the locked case in the double locked trunk with parts missing mode you might as well keep on driving. Local law enforcement will not and should not tolerate you setting up your rig when they arrive on the scene. If you are going to keep something in your trunk keep it well oiled and better yet Black T ed.
Also don't let it bang around too much.
IMHO Hank and good shooting! Properly prepped AK would fill the bill except.....

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited April 28, 1999).]

Trevor,

Just read your post with interest. As a fellow southpaw (I own several left handed Remingtons and a DPMS portside ejecting AR-15), I don't mind ejection or the bolt on the right side. If the rifle is rested on a sandbag, I keep my left hand on the pistol grip and the right hand operates the bolt. Follow up shots are really quick that way. Just something I wanted to share with you.

4V50 Gary

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I have a lever action trunk gun that I've used for years. It's a Marlin 1894 (pre-saftey) chambered in .44 mag.. I shortened the barrel to 16"'s and the stock to give an even 13" LOP. Over all length is 33"'s. Eight round magizine capacity. The .44 is much more affective on a deer then either a 30-30 or .308. It's a short, compact, fast handeling package. Good to about 100 yards and has the tactical advantage of allowing the shooter to add rounds without having to "drop" a magazine. And an innocent looking "cowboy' gun could not be considered an "assault" rifle by anyone other then the most ardant anti. Given a fire fight closer then a couple of hundred yards I wouldn't trade it for any .223/.308 AR/AK/H&K/AEIOU & sometimes Y. But then I'm just an ol' cowboy with horse stuff on my boots. :D

Gunslinger

P.S. Thad. I know you too subscribe to Gun List. There is one in the latest issue that looks like a sweet deal. 99%, Simmons 3X9, case and ammo. Buy it and you can stick the scope on the new long range rifle you've been hankerin' for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back