The ultimate defense revolver: S&w 629

I sometimes carry a Model 27. It fits my large hands quite nicely (with the proper grip). And I don't know, but it's probably heavier than a .44.. being as the holes are smaller. The weight doesn't bother me a bit (I'd be willing to bet that much of the complaints of weight are coming from people wearing modern concealment type holsters that are VERY top heavy. The top wants to lean out, and the bottom wants to DIG in. I wear a normal old fashioned belt holster, and I don't notice it's there).

Well I'd agree that the .44 Mag or Spl. is a good, all around caliber...versatile in its loadings, but may be more than necessary for CC purposes...I'm thinking over penetration here, primarily. That said, here on the farm, either does well with the hand loads we put up.

As to the gun for a good all around .44, I'd say that the 629 is just too heavy for all day carry, no matter what holster/rig you're dragging around. I've carried mine (a 5" model Smith with the full lug), in a tanker type cross chest rig that does well for hunting, but is limited as to speed of draw, as well as an open top Tom Threepersons, OWB. It's just too heavy for my tastes.

A better choice IMHO is Smith's M69...a 4.25" model on the K/L frame with a 5-shot cylinder. It's light enough (only an oz. more than my M66 Smith), that all day carry is not taxing. But still gives you the option for full house Magnums when justified. I routinely carry with 900-1000 fps .44 Special level loads that do all I need here in northern Kentucky.

HTH's & YMMv, Rod

I like something a little smaller than 44cal. I have found at the end of the week when I look back at all the bad guys I had to shoot 44 was over kill and makes unnecessary mess to clean up.

I like something a little smaller than 44cal. I have found at the end of the week when I look back at all the bad guys I had to shoot 44 was over kill and makes unnecessary mess to clean up.
when you rate you get people to do the clean up for you.

Stophel

A good belt and holster works miracles -- I agree.

What do you carry your 27 in?

Right now, just an old Hunter 1100. Eventually, I'll get around to making a new holster, but I have to do one for my M&P first.

I am NOT concerned with total concealment. My shirt pulled out over it is sufficient for my purposes.

The Model 29 is a heavy, bulky beast.

.44 Rem Mag is definitively diminishing returns for self-defense. The .44 Special is an excellent self-defense cartridge. Either way, it's heavy, bulky, limited to six rounds, and it takes too long to reload another six. On top of that, you'll have to take your eyes off of a criminal who's putting rounds on you to reload it.

If I were going to carry a revolver for self-defense, it would be a Model 60.

There are too many excellent quality semis on the market to make a revolver a wise self-defense choice. Check out Springfield Armory's Hellcat: https://www.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-series-handguns

I've read that a copy of the Hellcat endured a 20,000+ round torture test without a single malfunction. I doubt whether many revolvers could do that.

While I do like my 629MG, I love my 625MG! what's not to like about a 4" N frame and a set of Ahrends grips.

Another one of those 'personal opinion' threads :) . Not sure if I even know what a 629, 29, 27 k, n etc. is.... But...

I do know what I use for my CC revolver/caliber, what I open carry for the self defence woods gun, and what I would use for hunting if I was into that..... :) . Somehow none of the above mentioned guns come to mind :) .

The Model 29 is a heavy, bulky beast.

.44 Rem Mag is definitively diminishing returns for self-defense. The .44 Special is an excellent self-defense cartridge. Either way, it's heavy, bulky, limited to six rounds, and it takes too long to reload another six. On top of that, you'll have to take your eyes off of a criminal who's putting rounds on you to reload it.

If I were going to carry a revolver for self-defense, it would be a Model 60.

There are too many excellent quality semis on the market to make a revolver a wise self-defense choice. Check out Springfield Armory's Hellcat: https://www.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-series-handguns

I've read that a copy of the Hellcat endured a 20,000+ round torture test without a single malfunction. I doubt whether many revolvers could do that.

you don't have to take your eyes off of a bad guy to reload unless you plan on shooting six rounds in the dirt or something, which makes no sense for you to say the model 60 is your preferred. you'll just shoot 5 rounds into the dirt with that one.

next, you don't have to look at a modern D/A revolver to reload it. where did you get your training?

How many times you plan on missing?

Define too long? With speed loaders a trained shooter can reload pretty fast. Granted this is Jerry with moons.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw&t=188s

I have a number of revolvers that I consider to be perfect defensive revolvers...

At the top of the heap is the S&W Model 19.

A little farther down is my Model 042 Centennial snub, my primary carry gun.

Then there's my Model 58 in .41 Mag.

Then there's my Model 25-5 in .45 Long.

Or my Colt Official Police in .38 Special.

I'd even throw in my Colt or my S&Ws in .32-20...

And the list goes on and on.

If I was gonna pack an N Frame it would be my 625JM, 45ACP, less recoil than the 629, weighs considerably less than the 629, less likely to shoot thru your house and the neighbors. Fast to reload with moon clips if you miss a lot.
On another note, an N Frame fits my hand very well with the right grips. The new N Frame has a round butt and the grips can be smaller than the Square frame of the older guns. It still doesn't beat the K or L frame for a defensive handgun.

"If I was gonna pack an N Frame it would be my 625JM, 45ACP,"

Oh hell, I forgot my Model of 1917 Brazilian copy...

That's on the list, too.

Back