The superiority of the K frame magnum!

Still premature to say no K-frames are used by law enforcement. I used my 66-4 3" to clear/search a house, and later a motel room, Wednesday AM. I was not undergunned either. Speer 158 grain Gold Dots, with 2 speed loaders in my pocket. I think there is one other Investigator locally who carries a model 13 3" too.

Until recently, the NC DOC probation officers carried model 65 3" barrels. The K-frame is really a perfect handgun for plain clothes, or CCW carry. Regards 18DAI.

In praise of K-frames. I do like the Combat Magnums.....
100_0141.jpg

The K-frame was, and is, the best sidearm ever made for carry. I also like the N-frames but with the extra weight they got really heavy after a days work. Now as far as the L-frames, they are the stupidest guns ever made.

They were made to make up lagging sales due to interest in the Security Six/Speed Six models from Ruger and with the full underlug of the Colt Python. They were two ounces less than an N-frame and the cop circles ate them up!

For me, the L Frames are still nice guns, but they are not true fighting guns in the pure sense of the word. They are general purpose, "compromise" guns and excellent ones at that. But when it comes to having a belt gun, they are needlessly heavy and bulky, and for CCW, they are too big, and not very lively in the hand. Still, they are superb range guns, excellent hunting weapons, and great gaming guns for the action sports.

The K Frame reigns supreme as a close combat and concealed carry weapon for general civilian use!

Depends on who you are, and

What you do. I don't carry a gun for a living, and I don't CCW with large guns, so If you do, you are welcome to your opinions. I use mine for target and hunting, and for me, the N frame is the best choice. Model 28 6", or Model 29 6.5".

I can't help it, K frames just look small to me. I have owned Model 19s, and they are fine guns. I have a 4" model 66, it is a fine gun, and if I needed to carry a .357 for "social work", that one would be it. But for my shooting pleasure, I'll choose the N frames every time.

FYI, I have no interest in the current S&W revolvers with the lock. At all.

The model 19 dash 3 or 4 is my next "planned purchase. :D
The L frame 686 Mountain gun (7 shot) makes a nice combat revolver choice too. With the tapered 4-inch barrel, it's not much heavier than a 4-inch K frame.

K frames rock, period. I've carried them off and on for 30 years as both duty weapon and off duty carry. Always felt safe and armed. Love those K-frames!!

Preach it, brother. I'm a fellow monk in the Cult of the K.

There's no carry gun that gives me the warm-and-fuzzies like a K-frame with a 3" heavy barrel. The other barrel lengths are nice, too, but the 3" is in a class of its own.

m13hogue.jpg

All I own now are K-frames!

I have three K-frame Smiths. Settled on them after a long bout of whittling down a collection gone wild. Nothing else handles as well for me and provides the ideal mix of lethality, firepower, and concealability. I would sooner eat cat food and ramen noodles for a year than part with any of these guns.

DSCN0852.jpg

3-inch K-frame Model 66-2in Del Fatti ISP-4 X-Draw - IWB Custom Convertible with two SLC-2 and custom 1.25" belt.

DELFATTIISP-4XDRAWANDIWBCONFIGSINBR.jpg

Better view of the Del Fatti ISP-4 custom holsters -- can be crossdraw (-5 rake) or strong-side IWB (+15 rake) with variable length ( 1.25 or 1.5") snaps. In dark brown and brass and black and brass.

DSC00284.jpg

Model 65LS and Model 66-2

DSC00280.jpg

Model 66-2 with Tucker gunbelt, Hume Pack-Six speedloader pouches, and Wild Bill's Summer Heat IWB

DSC00281.jpg
Model 65LS with Tucker gunbelt, Hume Pack-Six speedloader pouches, and Hume 715M IWB

Last edited:
Marko & Bulldozer,

Peace be unto you my brothers, and may the blessed Mr. Jinks forever smile upon you with letters of authenticity.

For me, the best carry is the 2 1/2" M19, with its graceful lines and great handling.

M19_0632.JPG

Now, someone needs to post a picture of a 6" and we'll have covered the bases! :D

I'll be the voice of dissent. I think the Ks are too light. I want a gun that feels like a gun, not a replica. And I want it to fit in my hand well, with enough weight up top to let me know that there's a cylinderfull of something mean above my fist.

I'll stick to the 28. ;)

Model 19-2!

BILLCA:

Come on now Bill-you know that your Model 19-2, is such a sweet and Mint revolver, that you are just causing everyone to drool(All over their keyboards!)over your "Jewel" of a specimen(Me included!)!:eek: :D :D :D

I'll be the voice of dissent. I think the Ks are too light. I want a gun that feels like a gun, not a replica. And I want it to fit in my hand well, with enough weight up top to let me know that there's a cylinderfull of something mean above my fist.

Blasphemy! :D

Even though I own a Model 28 and a Model 27, if I'm going to carry around all that extra N-Frame weight, I'm not shootin' no puny .357 out of it.

M57ch.jpg

S&W Model 57 .41 Magnum

Well, I have a few model 19's that I have just been collecting-but, I have never fired any of these yet!:
d9189af1.jpg

e168cedd.jpg

c32b8cc2.jpg

My favorite: An 1956 vintage Pre-Model 19!:
352802c3.jpg

I couldn't resest showing off (again) my newly acquired 66-1 2.5".
This and my 4" King Cobra comprise my 2 favorite magnum carry guns.
attachment.php

I am a new commer to the cult of the M19...

HPIM0963-1.jpg

Here is my 4" 19-5. What a sweetheart to shoot. I would love to find a M19 snubbie for daily carry. I now carry a 642 but a 19 would be just right.

:cool:

Hey. don't forget the grand daddy of them all. the Model 10!, I have a few of them, plus a 13, and 19.

S&W revolvers are the best. Who do you know that carries a Python everyday?

TABING:

You are right about how neat those Model 10's are! Here is a picture of my MINT Pre-Model 10(1946 vintage)!:
98c2ab6b.jpg

44 amp I completely agree on the new Smiths I don't even look at them. As far as I'm concerned they aren't a S&W. I'm sure many people like them, but I only want old school Smiths and Colts. I saw the new rendition of the Colt Cobra coming out and it needs an abortion. Hideous.

Sash, I completely agree, I wouldn't put anything on any Smith other than a magna grip. Anything longer than 4" definitely needs bigger grips, but I don't like anything over the 4" guns. The 4" 19's look beautiful with magnas.

Musketeer, I feel like I'm the only person who feels he should practice with what I carry. Everyone lose says don't waste money on defensive rounds at the range. I can shoot 38s in my Taurus 605 at the range, but I carry 180 gr Buffalo Bore flat nosed lead slugs in it. Shooting 38s in that gun feels like shooting a .22 and would most definitely NOT prepare me for the punch of the BB .357 rounds! Those suckers are bad with a capital BAD. I prefer to at least get experience with what I'm shooting. Now just to go shoot for fun I'd use cheaper rounds but I don't want my gun to go boom, I want it to go BOOOOOM!!!

I love K frame Smiths. Unfortunately I only have one, it's a Mod. 15-3, blued snub and it has become my all time favorite handgun. It is in immaculate condition and it is beautiful. It's my house piece. I desperately want a blued 19 snub. Wow, they are gorgeous and definitely with the magna grips. That is one of the next 2 guns I hope to buy. It would definitely be right there with my Model 15 as my other favorite gun. I want a 4 inch as well. Why can't they still make guns like this anymore??? It's a shame, but at the same time I love having them when other do not. My carry gun is a Mod. 36 2" nickel snub square butt. I never see anyone carrying something like that. I know that many people out there do, but I just don't run into them pretty much ever. I love these guns!!!

Back