The "small" deer rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
correction

The 243 gets my vote. While the 7-08 is a great cartridge ( I own a Model 7) along with all of the others mentioned in 6.5 and .30 calibers, they are also very close to the .270 you already have. If you want smaller, the 243 is popular, always available and does a great job on all small and medium game in NA.

Last edited:
I've shot dozens of deer in Northern Wisconsin and butchered them too. About one-half dozen were shot with a .243, most of the rest with a 30-06. They both exhibited internal organ shock with an abdomen placement. I never got an exit wound with standard 100 gr. bullets in .243. The 30-06 will produce an exit wound 90% of the time. Most deer will run 50 to 100 yards with a well placed shot. An exit wound is sure useful tracking a deer into a swamp, cutover or spruce stand, especially with late November light conditions. I do not have any experience with 6.5 mm or .243 custom loads.

I can't recommend the .250 Sav too highly. I've killed more deer with two rifles in this fine caliber than with all the others combined. It's the equal of the .243 and doesn't seem to kick.

Yes, any of the cartridges based on the 308 case (243, 260, 7-08) or the X57 case (6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 7X57, etc) are more than adequate for deer or anything about that size.. Not a lot there, bullets penetrate easily and just knock 'em down. Doesn't take a cannon to kill Bambi, ya know. ;)

Another vote for the versatile .257 Roberts. Mine are proven deer killers with 120 grain bullets and are plenty accurate when using lighter bullet weights for groundhogs to coyote at longer ranges. Recoil is moderate-not much perceived difference between the Roberts and the .243, everything else being equal in terms of bullet weight, rifle weight, barrel length, stock dimensions, etc.

True, you probably won't find them parked next to .243 ammunition at Wal Mart but most gun stores that I frequent keep "the Bob" in inventory.

Scorch said
Yes, any of the cartridges based on the 308 case (243, 260, 7-08) or the X57 case (6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 7X57, etc) are more than adequate for deer or anything about that size.. Not a lot there, bullets penetrate easily and just knock 'em down. Doesn't take a cannon to kill Bambi, ya know.

I completely agree with Scorch, Its not rocket science, any of the above cartridges are proven deer rounds. Pick whichever one suits your fancy and enjoy.

"I do reload and it is a great cartridge but the 243 has less recoil"

Are you sure? Recoil is a physical reaction dependent on bullet weight, velocity, and rifle weight. Similar bullets at similar velocities from similar weight rifles equal same recoil 243 or 257. The 257 will actually send similar weight bullets at equal velocities with slightly lower pressures.

Someone mentioned putting a muzzle-brake on your 270. Some shooters like their muzzle-brakes, while those folks standing nearby do not. To each their own. I, for one, utterly hate muzzle-brakes. I can't be nearby no matter how much hearing protection I wear.

Years ago, I was stationed in Michigan with USAF. My main hunting rifle was a Marlin 30-30 with 4X Bushnell scope. I toppled a buck and a doe each season that I hunted within the Huron National Forest. No problems at all. Most of my shooting occurred at approx 75 yards or less. I hunted with 170 grain Winchester Power Point ammo. Remington currently offers light recoil ammunition for the 30-30 titled Managed Recoil ammo. I'm sure that any age or body type can learn to shoot well with this specialty ammo.

.243 is a fine cartridge for medium to long distance shooting. I have taken 17 pronghorn antelope with my .243 Remington rifle. My longest shot was approx 325 yards. In my opinion, the advent of Premium bullets has increased the lethality of this speedy cartridge. Black Hills Ammo loads the 95 grain SST bullet to astounding accuracy; I've never witnessed more accurate ammunition!

Good hunting to you.
Jack

I don't care for that low recoil ammo. If you need it, your shooting to heavy bullet's in likely to large a case. There are so many option's out there in cartridges that fooling with low recoil ammo just isn't necessary.

There is nothing wrong with low recoil ammunition. It's manufactured to give the same energy performance out to about 200 yards as standard ammo. That and closer is where the vast majority of game is harvested.

Mobuck said:
Are you sure? Recoil is a physical reaction dependent on bullet weight, velocity, and rifle weight.

Yes the .257 Roberts will recoil more than a .243 in most cases, but is it enough more to notice for most people?

Code:
Cartridge (Wb@MV)	Rifle Weight	Recoil energy	Recoil velocity
.243 Win. (75 at 3400)          8.5  	    7.2   	 7.4
.243 Win. (95 at 3100)	        7.25        11.0 	 9.9
.243 Win. (100 at 2960)         7.5	    8.8	         8.7
.250 Savage (100 at 2900)	7.5	    7.8	         8.2
.257 Roberts (100 at 3000)	7.5	    9.3	         8.9
.257 Roberts (120 at 2800)	8.0	    10.7 	 9.3

Years ago, I was stationed in Michigan with USAF. My main hunting rifle was a Marlin 30-30 with 4X Bushnell scope. I toppled a buck and a doe each season that I hunted within the Huron National Forest.

Were you per chance stationed at Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda? I was stationed there from 1964 until my discharge in 1966. I shot my first deer just outside the base with a Winchester Model 100, chambered in .308. Later, I killed deer in the Huron National Forest with a Remington Model 760, chambered in 30-06 and a Ruger Model 77, chambered in .257 Roberts. Never saw much difference in the "killing" power between these cartridges.
My favorite deer hunting rifle for the past couple of decades has been my Savage Model 99, chambered in .358 Winchester. Whitetails don't travel far after being hit with a 200 grain Silvertip planted in the boiler room.

Regardless of your choice of caliber, make sure the gun's action is designed for that cartridge. For example - rifle actions originally designed for a 30-06 cartridge are not the best choice for shorter cartridges like the 243, 7mm-08 or 308 where they trick out the magazine to work with the longer action.

I like the 6.5 Swede or 257 Roberts.

I have a 6mm Remington that works well, but ammo and brass are sometimes hard to find. I think 257 Roberts might be in the same boat. If I were shopping now, I'd go with 243 or the new 6mm Creedmoor.

Well low recoil ammo will not give the same performance to two hundred yds using the same bullet. In order to give the same performance at any range with the same bullet it must have the same muzzle velocity. The same bullet with the same muzzle velocity equals the same recoil! Get a cartridge on a smaller dia bullet.

Well low recoil ammo will not give the same performance to two hundred yds using the same bullet. In order to give the same performance at any range with the same bullet it must have the same muzzle velocity. The same bullet with the same muzzle velocity equals the same recoil! Get a cartridge on a smaller dia bullet.

This is right from Remington.

"Managed-Recoil® Centerfire Ammunition delivers trusted Remington® field-proven hunting performance out to 200 yards, with half the recoil. How? Through a specialized new bullet developed specifically to perform at lower velocity levels. Managed-Recoil® bullets deliver 2x expansion with over 75% weight retention on shots inside of 50 yards and out to 200 yards. The end result is a high-performance bullet optimized to provide the on-game results you've come to expect from Remington Ammunition with just half the felt recoil."

Yes it will give the same "terminal effects" with the right bullet. I think we've already proven speed isn't the only indicator of stopping power. Not sure why so negative on the ammunition but it's come a long way the last few years. Most manufacturers create some sort of low/managed recoil rounds now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back