The Ruger 22 caliber handguns

Reasons I dislike the Ruger OEM MK series trigger.

1-no overtravel adjustment.
2- no pretravel adjustment.

The following are related to the trigger, and regard trigger 'feel', but are not the trigger.

3- too much creep after pre-travel taken up.
4- too gritty at break point.
5- too heavy of pull weight before hammer falls.

Solution to the last two points involved:
  • replacement hammer
  • replacement hammer bushing
  • replacement sear
  • replacement trigger bar/disconnector.
After all of those parts are changed, with a change in trigger [and modification of spring on trigger], my set up now has
1 adjustable overtravel stop
2-adjustable pretravel stop
3-pull weight close to 2.25 lbs
4-no creep.
5- no gritty feel.
6-crisp break.​

What am I comparing it to?

• 1911 with full 3lb trigger set up [$2000+ versions- not a RIA $550 version, even though I have the RIA and like it].
  • High Standard 106 Trophy
  • High Standard 102 Trophy
  • High Standard HD Military
  • Browning Buckmark

Keep in mind that I also really disliked the Beretta 87Target's trigger, until I changed the trigger to one with overtravel stop, and changed the sear bar, and had the sear bar welded up/ground down where I wanted to reduce a lot of the other characteristics I disliked. I did all the fitting myself, and had a gunsmith just tack weld the bar where I told him to.

Now, it is where I want it.

Admittedly, I am a trigger snob.

a good friend of mine likes my guns, but doesn't notice how bad his trigger are- as they go bang when he wants them to.

The Rugers are good, but I'd prefer any of my Colts Woodmans, High Standards, or S&W K22 over my Ruger Standard or 22/45. Ruger magazines might be easier to find, but when it comes to accuracy, reliability, trigger, cleaning or sights the others are far better.

One of the few guns I've ever sold was a Ruger Security Six. Never could warm up to a single action .22.

Will I be considered a heretic for suggesting the Walther PPQ 22?

Its full size, same as the big caliber siblings. The grip ergonomics are very comfortable and confident. The trigger is the PPQ trigger. The trigger has minimal take up, crisp break and a very short reset. Makes for quick follow up shots. Super fun for steel challenge. I think the sights are average and the slide is not factory milled for optics.

There is a 4” which i have, that has a threaded barrel variant, and a 5” version. You can typically get them for between 300 to 400 bucks.

So, should I grab some firewood? (-;

From the website:
4c3207abd728bc633b566241ff4994ad.jpg

https://waltherarms.com/ppq-22/

Reasons I dislike the Ruger OEM MK series trigger.

1-no overtravel adjustment.
2- no pretravel adjustment.

This is actually not true. My stock trigger had a pre-travel adjustment built into it, it was just screwed all the way in.

Here's a picture of the Mark II trigger with both pre-travel and Over-Travel

pretravel2.jpg

Yes the Ruger Mark series is not a $3000 trigger or a fine tuned aftermarket trigger, but it's a lot of a lot better than most striker fired guns on the market.

It also cost me under $250 brand new when I bought mine. The browning buckmarks were $350-$500 at the time.

I realize the Mark IV's are now much more expensive, but I am very pleased with the trigger on my Mark III 22/45 for a under $250 plinker.

I love my MkIII Target, after removing the mag safety, the loaded chamber indicator and child lock and working over the trigger. It's amazingly accurate and reliable. I understand the ire about the takedown but heck, mine has several thousand shots fired without a cleaning of any kind.

I love the SR22, I feel it's the perfect size and weight for a .22 LR pistol and giving it a DA trigger adds to the confidence for carrying it in case of a light primer strike.

The Mark pistols I find are cumbersome and needlessly heavy, not to mention low capacity. I got the Kel Tec CP33 last month and it weighs half what the Mark IV's do and olds 3 times as many rounds in the mag.

I trained my sons and their cousins on the SR22. Those boys have probably put 5000 rounds through that gun with the only issues most likely being due to cheap bulk ammo. Even when I feed it the cheap stuff, the SR22 functions with impressive reliability.

I liked the SR22 so much I just picked up an LCP II LR. The LCP does not seem to like bulk ammo and had issues with Federal bulk. However, Ruger makes it clear that the gun is designed for high-velocity rounds. It ran flawlessly with CCI Mini-Mags. I don't have any experience with other .22 lr semi-autos, but I have been satisfied with the Rugers.

I love the SR22, I feel it's the perfect size and weight for a .22 LR pistol and giving it a DA trigger adds to the confidence for carrying it in case of a light primer strike.

The Mark pistols I find are cumbersome and needlessly heavy, not to mention low capacity. I got the Kel Tec CP33 last month and it weighs half what the Mark IV's do and olds 3 times as many rounds in the mag.
That CP33 looks really cool/fun. Have to agree, it's annoying having a 10 round magazine in a .22 lr.

What did you pay for it? Curious as to waht the street price on them were.

I think you need to really step up to do better. The Smith 41 is nicer in my opinion, but a lot more money.
"Nicer" yes, what ever that is supposed to mean. But better designed, as the OP stated, no way.

The design of the older Mark pistols is rubbish! Only a mechanical genius or gunsmith can get them back together after cleaning them! Clearly this makes them worth hundreds of dollars less than the brand new ones! Since I am a good guy and old enough to be trained in arcane arts such as changing my own oil, dressing a pheasant, riding a horse and reassembling a Ruger .22 I will take it off your hands at a substantial discount.

You're welcome.

*Note: The above post is intended to convey sarcasm as the author sees little problem in reassembling the older models although the new models are much more convenient. As Cheapshooter says, no way is it a great design, but it is a CLASSIC design.

That CP33 looks really cool/fun. Have to agree, it's annoying having a 10 round magazine in a .22 lr.

What did you pay for it? Curious as to waht the street price on them were.
I got it online for 377. Everywhere else it was $425 or more. Decided it wasn't going to get cheaper than 377 for many years (if ever) and figured I had waited long enough.

The design of the older Mark pistols is rubbish! Only a mechanical genius or gunsmith can get them back together after cleaning them!

HAH! That's rubbish. Three of the staff at my gun club back in the late 1960's were able to reassemble a Ruger Mark .22lr in less than FOUR MONTHS. I was there and contributed!

Back