THE Revolver

I thought I was going to see a nice Single Action at top of this page .... ;)

Am I wrong to think that revolver people are more attached to their handgun than pistol people
Absolutely. You can't explain it, just is. You pick up THE Revolver -- in my case any nice Single Action SAA style and it just speaks to you. Smell a little dust in air, bacon frying, cattle bawling, sound of a stream tumbling over rocks, hunting, fishing, hiking, etc... A flood of memory's come back as a teenager and of course historical meanderings, and old western movies..... Yes, revolvers have something special about them. Obviously, the S&W and Colt DA crowd too like revolvers for reasons only they can explain.... But a pistol is just a cold piece of metal or plastic, that does its intended job ... but means nothing when you hold it or shoot it. You can't explain it, just is.

For me, nothing beats the balance and versatility of a 3" K-Frame:

66-4_800.jpg

I usually run it with hot .38's. If I'm shooting a steady diet of Magnum loads, the 28 is a trooper:

mod_28_800.jpg

Since we are talking about the S&W 1917…

Anyone have any modern holsters that work with them? I have a Brazilian that I would like to carry once in a while. OWB, leather, maybe a thumb snap.

I found one Bianchi that was supposed to work, which is the one I have for my 6” 629-1… and it just doesn’t fit right.

My revolver mainly is my 9mm 642-1. Love that gun. I’ve been wanting to find a cutdown 1917, and use that as a winter carry gun… but they always seem to slip thru my fingers. And I wouldn’t want to cut one down myself… unless it was screwed up beyond salvageable.
Hunter makes a great holster for the 1917. IIRC it's the Hunter 1100-14.

Lol!

I wonder when that terminology changed.

From the ATF website referring to handgun definitions.

Handgun - Revolver

Handgun - Pistol

I didn’t include their definition it obvious.

Last edited:
Lol!

I wonder when that terminology changed.
Depending on your definition it really hasn't.

The word pistol appeared in English in the 16th century, borrowed from French "pistolet" or "small gun".

So revolvers are just one type of "small gun".

Depending on your definition it really hasn't.

The word pistol appeared in English in the 16th century, borrowed from French "pistolet" or "small gun".

So revolvers are just one type of "small gun".
Exactly, some are revolving pistols and some are semi automatic pistols. But as with many things linguistically it’s simpler to refer to them as revolvers or pistols and pretty generally understood what people mean, evolution of language. Kind of like the Clip vs. Magazine argument.

sweet revolver

Must say it would be my S&W model 14 .38 Special with a six inch barrel circa early 1950's.

Exceptionally accurate with a silky smooth action.

I'm still waiting to find a nice example of an older prelock smith. Not buying anymore revolvers online as the last new s&w model 17 looked like it was rushed and skipped quality control completely. Bad bluing, tool marks, and the cylinder was a tad sticky.

Must say it would be my S&W model 14 .38 Special with a six inch barrel circa early 1950's.

Exceptionally accurate with a silky smooth action.

It would be pedantic to mention that the Model 14 name wasn't used for the Target Masterpiece until 1957, so I won't. ;)

By any name it's a very special revolver. I have a 6" Target Masterpiece like yours and an 8 3/8" version as well. Both are extremely well made and exceptionally accurate.

ebC4SDH.jpg

I am not a revolver guy.
But what absolutely grabs me —- Smith & Wesson model 1917s

https://share.icloud.com/photos/04cqF-xi45Y_WlYqoE2hqRAvw

I had one back around 1985.
it was as new with the exception someone ground the US property off it.

If I hit the lotto I would collect them.
Some advice my Dad gave me many years ago ... good advice I would like to pass along .
" Son .. Never sell a gun you like , you will come to regret it ."
Mac Percle

Still Good Advice
Gary

Howdy

It may interest you all to know that in Cowboy Action Shooting we always refer to our handguns as pistols, never as revolvers.

Anyway, I have a couple of Brazilian contract 1917s, but a couple of years ago I found a genuine 1917 from WWI. It came with a box of 45ACP ammo mounted on half moon clips. The box of ammo is almost full, it is missing one clip. The ammo was made by the United States Cartridge Company in Lowell, Mass. Both the revolver and the ammo shipped in 1918 if I remember correctly. Yes, the grips are incorrect, but I like the figure on them.

pofx88VEj

plqpXRgtj

Rather than the Flying Bomb, this one is stamped GHS, for Gilbert H. Stewart, the government inspector at the time. Notice the grooves on the hammer. This is fairly uncommon, it was thought to aid keeping lubrication on the hammer.

po3XXhD0j

Regarding holsters for a S&W Model 1917, I bought one on line sometime ago. It was quite inexpensive. Sorry, I cannot place my hands on it right now, and I don't recall the outfit I bought it from. But if you google S&W 1917 Holster you will get a lot of hits. The originals had US stamped on the side and a leather tie down strap on the bottom of the holster.

I've had a few, S&W 586 6" was my first, a S&W 642, S&W Model 40 (pinned barrel, no dash), the ones I still own are a Ruger SP101, S&W Governor (Impulse purchase, its too big to be practical for much of anything, only shoot .45 Colt out of it now), and a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 with a 9mm cylinder as well.

Out of all of them, I think the Blackhawk is the one that stands out in my mind as THE revolver for me. Although the 586 comes close, I think if I'd gotten the 4" I'd still have it.

German Stallion

Hawes Western Marshall in .357 from the 60s or 70s no real way to tell.

A friend needed cash years ago, I liked it and enjoy it.

Learned later that Bob Munden really liked these guns for custom work. While not their best work and made for export, Sauer and Sohn does not make junk.

It's pretty close to the Colt, a German Stallion.

Back