THE Revolver

Since we are talking about the S&W 1917…

Anyone have any modern holsters that work with them? I have a Brazilian that I would like to carry once in a while. OWB, leather, maybe a thumb snap.

I found one Bianchi that was supposed to work, which is the one I have for my 6” 629-1… and it just doesn’t fit right.

My revolver mainly is my 9mm 642-1. Love that gun. I’ve been wanting to find a cutdown 1917, and use that as a winter carry gun… but they always seem to slip thru my fingers. And I wouldn’t want to cut one down myself… unless it was screwed up beyond salvageable.

For me? The revolver of revolvers is the 4" Model 19 Smith & Wesson.

There has never been a better combination of power, portability, ergonomics and other factors put into a single package.

There are many great revolvers -- I have many great revolvers -- but as far as I'm concerned, there is only one perfect revolver, and that's the Smith & Wesson Model 19 4".

As for me, I can't say there is one "THE REVOLVER." Two different scenarios, daily carry which demands a smaller or lighter revolver, and field use for hunting which demands longer barrel and sight radius.

For my daily carry its this Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt:

But, when I go afield, its this Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum:

So, for me at least, there is no "ONE REVOLVER."

Bob Wright

For when I am home, my Taurus 66 2.5" barrel is my go to THE Revolver.

20171028-171154a.jpg

Now when I am out and about in the city and find myself in danger and see the tiger smile, I have my S&W 637 with both speed strips and speed loaders in case of a partial or full reload. I holster carry and practice. I can draw and shoot in one second. Pocket carry is no good if you have to employ it in a quick draw.

637-CARRY1.jpg

I don't know if it's THE revolver, but the one I shoot the most is a Model 22, which is essentially the M1917 with a 4" barrel.
I also have a Hand Ejector Mk. II, which was the gun rechambered to .45 ACP to create the M1917; mine is converted to chamber .45 ACP, but the oversized bore needs oversized bullets, which is sort of a pain.

Colt 357 Magnum revolver circa 1955. I own many revolvers and like them all, but this one has esthetics on it's side. It just looks like a Magnum revolver should look.

Attachments

• image_47035.jpg
    image_47035.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 143
I recently sold off most of my guns. I've pretty much been a Smith and Wesson guy all my life. I guess I've owned them all. 10, 12, 13. 14. 15. 18, 19, 21, 24, 27, 28, 29 and so on up the number scale. And that's not counting Rugers and such.

But my "the" revolver, the only ones I kept...two 2020 Pythons. (And a couple of S/A 22's Ruger and Heritage)

Mine

00-hkoSrbiJVbkLQIqHJdzDYiKsisWU9eos8swfCMeXiIyp0UsRQZ5B-6K0UNpROAyN

My wife's

00-hkoSrbiJVbkLQIqHJdzDYiKsisWU9eos8swfCMeXiIw__9CcU2lFy_LeiBVppjM4VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

I guess I'll keep them.

Back