The revolver reliability drop test...

Some time ago, in one of those incessant which is more reliable, a revolver or semi-auto I took the position that a revolver is no more likely to be put out of commission from being dropped than is a semi-automatic.

Despite some seriously bizarre scenarios, i.e.,

"if you dropped your handgun from the top of a 200-foot cliff" type stuff... Uh huh, guess the situation you need your handgun for is going to go on hold until you climb down, get it, and climb back up? Right.... Earth to disarmed guy...

YOU'RE SCREWED!

Anyway...

I finally decided that some testing was necessary.

So, my old reliable Charter Arms Off Duty .38 volunteered.

I immediately decided that it would have to be a test that REALLY tested whether a revolver could be so easily put out of action simply by being dropped on its side on the cylinder.

To that end, I started dropping the revolver out of the window of my office and onto the concrete patio below, a drop of perhaps 15 to 16 feet. I've never bothered measuring it.

After the first drop, nothing was amiss, so I put the gun in a plastic baggie to keep it from getting too badly chewed up, tied some twine around a corner of the bag so I could haul the gun back up, and commenced to drop the gun over 20 times.

The end result was that the gun was still functional, although a little dented. Timing was fine, it functioned fine, etc.

Well, someone mentioned that a revolver being RELOADED, is really the most fragile thing on the face of the universe, and a fall from belt height with the cylinder open will immediately disable any and all revolvers ever manufactured. Well, maybe not, but there was the inference.

So, back to another round of testing.

I started in the basement, which is concrete slab.

I dropped the Charter, cylinder open, onto the slab so that it would impact the open cylinder and possibly bend the ejector rod. I repeated the test several times from slightly different angles.

I did this test at belt height to simulate what might happen if the revolver were dropped while being reloaded.

Guess what?

You'll be bored by the answer.

It functioned just fine.

The ejector rod isn't bent that I can tell, ejection is still smooth, the finish continues to take a beating, and the function firing, with 5 unprimed .38 casings, resulted in 5 detonated primers with firing pin marks right where they should be.

I thought long and hard about dropping the Charter out of the window of my office with the cylinder open.

At that height it's probably a pretty good chance that yes, the ejector rod will be bent and possibly render the gun inoperable, or only partially functional.

But, once again, we're back to the question of, just how reasonable is it to expect something like this to happen in REAL life, with the expectation that you might be able to get your gun back in time to save your life?

Not really all that good, but if you REALLY want to believe that, then hey, no problem, but I think I have a deal you just can't pass up.... Wonderful ocean-front property in New Mexico, only $1.49 an acre, and all of your neighbors are recent Playboy Playmates....

And, it also begs another question, about the supposedly infalability of semi-automatics....

If it's possible for you to drop a revolver during a reload, it's also possible to drop a loaded magazine during a reload. Given that the magazine is the single most fragile part of a semi-automatic, I continue to maintain that it's a LOT more likely that such an occurrence could leave you with a gun that is, in reality, just as useless if you're confronted with a situation in which you need your gun.

So, with that, my Charter Arms Off Duty .38 now goes into drop-test retirement, having given its all for the cause of disproving once and for all the notion that revolvers are the most fragile creations on the face of the planet and will immediately be rendered permanently inoperable if dropped 2.5 milimeters onto a bed of fine damask satin backed with 2 feet of the finest, fluffiest eiderdown.

Thus ends the saga.

If any of you would like an autographed publicity photograph of the UNDEFEATED DROP TEST CHAMPION OF THE WORLD please sent $29.95 to:

6969 Don't We All Have Something Better To Discuss Lane
Realitybitesville, Some State, 0100101

You are a strong man. It would be too painful for me to purposely beat one of my firearms like that. I am rather pleased with the results though. :)

Don't make me hurt you Mikey! You gotta wonder about a guy that throws old reliable out the window. Now I won't have to. MWT

While practicing drawing, dryfiring 5 times and then opening the cylinder for a reload on a SW642LS, I dropped the 642. Cylinder et al. popped off bigger than life. Used a Spyderco Delica as a screw driver to put it back together as I was traveling on business. Timing was fine afterwards.

kind of a moot point.....if it broke , I wouldn't sell my revolver since it has served me well for 20 years...and if i dropped it in a vat of linguini and clams and it came out not working, I wouldn't expect any of you to give up carrying your revlover when cooking....nothing is universal.....

Speaking as one who MAY have made an inference or two... ;)

I must say that I'm surprised. I would have bet money that something would have given up the ghost or gotten out of alignment.

The O-CR (Open-Cylinder Revolver) Theory disproven, John bravely resumes his tireless search for the most fragile item on the planet...

Well, I'm fully expecting someone to come back with another contrived scenario, maybe...

"Well, what if you drop your revolver from the top of Angel Falls while being chased by 5,000 angry Hottentots who have every intention of turning you into a shishkabob, so you dive over the falls to retrieve your revolver but discovered that the water is full of crocodiles, alligators, pirranah, electric eels, and Rosie O'Donnells, all who are wielding sledge hammers and who are pounding on the cylinder while simultaneously poking you with forks AND eating chocolate chocolate chocolate chip cookie dough banana ripple double fudge creamscicles AND dialing their psychic hotline friend? Will your vaunted revolver survive THAT? Huh? Huh tough guy? Huh?"

To which I will gladly say, get a ****ing life.

Cuerno,

Send it back for warranty service.

The cylinder retaining bolt is not dimensioned properly.

That should NEVER happen.

Mike, I have to agree with you...

in about 19 years of being a lawman, I have dropped exactly ONE handgun while working.

It was a Smith M19.

I wiped off the dust and stuffed it back in my holster. I didn't think any more about it (other than to thank God I found it!) and appearantly, it didn't think about it either.

Related to the auto-revolver quibble is the "reloading factor".

If one has fired six rounds from ANYTHING and hasn't solved the problem; one has more need of a airstrike or a priest than a "one second reload."

Get what you like (or what your department will allow), learn to shoot it, and keep it clean.

Hi Mike!

That's what I like empirical data not some third hand story about your brother-in-law's uncle's friend...

Noticed you couldn't bear to do it with a real S&W... :D but a Charter will do!

You have my respeck, and also a whack across the wrist for banging up your piece! :p

Sick puppy.

Sometimes it takes one to step forward and sacrifice self for knowledge.

Don't think you can stand beside Galileo tho.......he dead.

Minor pic... nit"and the function firing, with 5 unprimed .38 casings, resulted in 5 detonated primers with firing pin marks right where they should be. " .....howd you do dat?

Sam...........

Hey Sam...

Take a look at the time my message was posted...

Then KISS MY CHARTER! :D

Yep, you're right, that should have been PRIMED, UNLOADED...

Hey, come on, it was freaking late...

Hey BigG,

My Uncle's brother-in-law's friend gave me the Charter Arms, so does it still count? :)

Actually, the Charter was the first revolver I ever purchased. It did me great service, it featured in the introduction to an article I wrote for American Rifleman magazine, and it was my carry gun for quite a few years.

In a fit of near stupidity I almost gave it to the ex-wife when she and I broke up, but I regained my senses after realizing that no, I really didn't care what happened to her, except for the fact that I would be "Suspect 1."

When the US Army ran tests that led to the adoption of the Beretta 92, one of the comparison handguns was the S&W model 15 as it was widely used by the services. It did well against the autos in the sand and mud tests and was more accuate than most. It suffered in 2 areas, sustained firepower and ease of maintenance.

Revolvers are tough mothers.

Mike,

I agree with Sam... you ARE a sick puppy! :p (where is that evil grin icon when I need it!!)

Best regards,

G

Good test.

Although I have seen a couple of target revos at FFL/LE auctions that had been dropped and the hammer spur was broken off. Made me wonder if the lightened hammer would still have enough inertia to reliably ignite the primer shooting double action. I suspect it would, but you never know with individual guns.

Mike.......for some of us it's always late.:D

Good Guy.......removin the spur lightens the hammer but the hammer speed goes up.....seems to be an even trade on most. Have seen bobbed hammer jobs with light springs work just fine on all sorts of primers.

Sam......tween knaps

Good Guy,

Yep, what Sam says.

I have seen bobbed hammer revolvers, however, have problems with CERTAIN brands of ammo after the hammer has been lightened, but others have had no drop in ignition reliability at all.

It's really something you have to determine on a gun by gun issue.

Back