The Rem. 700 and accuracy....

Big Green is great at marketing. Not so great at putting out only high quality rifles. Remington has put out a lot of junk too. Their ammo is spotty in quality and you can expect hunting accuracy and nothing more out of a box stock unmodified rifle. My friend bought a Model 7 in 308 with the synthetic stock and stainless fluted barrel. He was so ****** off when we found my box stock ruger 308 model 77 outshot his Remington and he wanted to sell it. Getting right down to the point, my gun has a laminate stock and his had a plastic stock with a lot of flex. After some arm twisting he found a great price on a blow out walnut stock and had the gun restocked and bedded. Now it shoots pretty darn well. Maybe better than my ruger but we aren't hardcore sub MOA bench shooters. In most cases it's the shooter that is the limiting factor rather than the hardware but sometimes there are exceptions. In general pretty much any stock centerfire will put 5 shots inside 3 inches at 100 yards. It's the tweeking that gets them to regularly shoot sub 1" with some dare I say "exceptions" that just flat out shoot anything you feed them from day 1. In a basic production rifle it's hit and miss unless you get into high dollar guns that people spend a lot of time crafting. That's why the military hand builds sniper weapons checking everything from the squareness of the receiver to the bedding and everything in between. People know how to make a Remington 700 shoot well. Step one, throw away everything Remington except the action.................:) I personally prefer the mauser type action with a claw, but there are a lot of good push feeds out there.

Oh, one other thing. I've found that with run of the mill production rifles sometimes they need to get shot.... a lot before the barrels smooth out and they start to group well. Hand lapping the bore is one of the things you tend to get with a more expensive gun. You have to pay for performance right out of the box.

Big Green is great at marketing. Not so great at putting out only high quality rifles. Remington has put out a lot of junk too. Their ammo is spotty in quality and you can expect hunting accuracy and nothing more out of a box stock unmodified rifle. My friend bought a Model 7 in 308 with the synthetic stock and stainless fluted barrel. He was so ****** off when we found my box stock ruger 308 model 77 outshot his Remington and he wanted to sell it. Getting right down to the point, my gun has a laminate stock and his had a plastic stock with a lot of flex. After some arm twisting he found a great price on a blow out walnut stock and had the gun restocked and bedded. Now it shoots pretty darn well. Maybe better than my ruger but we aren't hardcore sub MOA bench shooters. In most cases it's the shooter that is the limiting factor rather than the hardware but sometimes there are exceptions. In general pretty much any stock centerfire will put 5 shots inside 3 inches at 100 yards. It's the tweeking that gets them to regularly shoot sub 1" with some dare I say "exceptions" that just flat out shoot anything you feed them from day 1. In a basic production rifle it's hit and miss unless you get into high dollar guns that people spend a lot of time crafting. That's why the military hand builds sniper weapons checking everything from the squareness of the receiver to the bedding and everything in between. People know how to make a Remington 700 shoot well. Step one, throw away everything Remington except the action................. I personally prefer the mauser type action with a claw, but there are a lot of good push feeds out there.

Oh, one other thing. I've found that with run of the mill production rifles sometimes they need to get shot.... a lot before the barrels smooth out and they start to group well. Hand lapping the bore is one of the things you tend to get with a more expensive gun. You have to pay for performance right out of the box.

rc

I just bought a 700 SPS Buckmasters in .270 Win. I plunked my scope on it and it shoots 1/2"-3/4" groups at 100 yards if I do my part. It's a beautiful looking rifle and the camo stock is nice. And it was under $500.

I thought of getting a Savage with the accutrigger and accustock but they are now getting more money for them then for a Rem 700. I also looked at Tikka's, Howa's, TC's, etc and none were as "eye pleasing" to me as the 700. And my other rifle (that shoots cloverleaf groups) is my Ruger M77 Mk II all weather SS in .300 Win Mag. Love both these rifles.

You don’t have to have a M700 to shoot sub MOA. Some people are using Bernard actions to win F Class National Championships and set national F Class Records.

Which is what a bud of mine does with his Bernard.

See how thick the sidewalls. The metal fit is perfect.

Boltinaction.jpg

BernadFaceActionDSCN0781faceofactio.jpg

BoltFaceBerandActionDSCN0801.jpg

Boltoveractioncut.jpg

RC.... the Model 7 is a small light weight carbine type rifle... I wouldn't really expect it to shoot Sub-Moa. It will kill a dear... and be pleasant to carry around all day, which is what it's meant for.

I like Rugers as well, but generally both will shoot about the same with the same booger hook on the trigger.

My 700P LTR in 6.8SPC will print 1 hole at 100 yards with hand loads, with factory ammo it will still shoot sub MOA all day.

One has to have realistic goals for the rifle in question. Box stock rifles CAN be sub-moa today... but it doesn't mean they should all be expected to be.

I have a Ruger .22 Hornet that shot like crap with hand loads and factory loads.. needless to say I sold it off.

Last edited:
I have a Rem 700 LTR 308 20" brl. It is a very accurate rifle out to 500 yards do to 20" brl. Some days I shoot Good And some days not so good,but the 700 is always on. I have shot 1 hole 3 shot groups at 100 yards 1/2 groups at 200 yards & 2'' groups on both.The gun in most cases will shoot better than us. Do some reading make your mind up and do alot of shooting, the more you shoot you will see you can only blame yourself and conditions. Pick well and have fun.

I have a 223 stainless SPS Rem 700 and its no more accurtae than the Savage 110 varmit in 223. Both shoot MOA with right bullets&load. 300-400yard varmit rifles.

I got 3 of the new mod 70,two browning (x-bolt and blr) and a vanguard and they are close or better than 1 moa with the right load.

Back