The Rem. 700 and accuracy....

HShack

So, it seems one MUST use a Rem. 700 to achieve sub 1" groups. Every forum I read says so. Must be true.......

But I wonder. I bet something like the new Win. Mod. 70 [made in SC] will do just as well. And the barrel is already free floated.

What ya'll think?:confused:

You can definitely get sub MOA groups with a different platform, Remington just happens to produce a popular model. IIRC rifles such as the Weatherly Vanguard and several Savage rifles can get MOA or less.

As with most tools, the person using it determines its performance.

Of course there are other models that will produce sub moa.

Do you really want to ask "What is the dirt cheapest rifle I can buy that will produce sub moa?"?

My reply would be keep saving for the 700:)

Most high end custom rifle makers use 700 or 700 type actions because of the simplicity of the action and bolt. The 700 action is a simple cylinder with another simple cylinder (the bolt) which rides inside. Easy to get everything to align perfectly at right angles without a lot of effort.

Most factory free floated model 700s are probably MOA or better.
The 700 SPS tactical rifle with a rubber Hogue non free floated stock usually shoots sub-MOA.

The Model 70 has a large claw extractor on its bolt which is a more complex design. The controlled feed design is inherently much more complicated than that of the simple push feed of the model 700 bolt with its small extractor.

Like everything in life, complexity costs more $$$ to achieve the same goal as something simpler.

Don't know squat about big game rifles

But I have Savage model 12 varmint in 22-250 and a Rem 700 204 Ruger. Wish I woulda bought another Savage instead of the Remmy. If for nothing else, for the "accutrigger." Just my simple minded opinion. The Savage shoots better groups, but it has about 3000 more rounds fired through it. The Remington shoots sub-MOA. Installed a Timney Trigger and that made some difference. A few hundred more rounds and some more work on a better hand load may make up the difference.

Am very pleased with my new 700 SPS Buckmasters in .270 Win. Tack hammer and super nice looking. And the price was right.

Attachments

• rem-me-ton.jpg
    rem-me-ton.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 97
I have a 700LH with a laminated glass bed stock, and sub 1" are feasible with 165's. I once had a Win 670 and it had no equal, unfortunately, it was traded because it was an RH.:(

Advances in manufacturing and barrel making have made it much easier to shoot into that magic inch. All of the bolt guns I own are capable of making the inch, and none of them have heavy barrels. Standard, out of the box MOA rifles are simply everywhere.

Guns America magazine recently did an article where they compared five rifles, entry-level rifles, for accuracy. Sako, Tikka, Savage, Thompson-Center and CZ. Nothing fancy, just entry-level rifles with a good scope and a proven marksman. All five shot into the magic inch and several did much better than that.

We may live in the golden age of rifle manufacturing. The magic inch has been captured by the rifle manufacturers. The unknown factor is the loose nut on the thick end of the stock.

I've owned and shot hundreds of different rifles. Generally speaking the 700's have been a bit more accurate than other brands. But that certainly does not mean that every 700 will out shoot every other rifle.

As Paw Paw stated accuracy standards of rifles and ammo have gotten to the point where groups greater then 1" are the exception from most any new rifle. The new Winchesters are certainly good shooters and can hang with anyone.

No, Remington 700's are no more accurate than Howa 1500, Savage 10/110, Sako TRG, Tikka, or Win70s.

The Win70 action is the basis for the FN SPR series of tactical rifles, and they shoot like a house on fire.

Heck, Zastava is still making a tactical rifle based on the m98 action (which still has a faster lock time than an AR-15).

So no, accuracy is not a product of a particular brand of action.

Jimro

I shoot at Rem 700 PSS, Win Mod 70 (new, Stealth), and a Savage 10FCP Mac.

The best 5-shot group ever out of the Remmy was .287

The best ever 5-shot group out of the M70 was .415, but that was with the stock trigger (3+ lbs). I just changed to a Jard 14-oz and re-zeroed. But I expect it will print a smaller group now.

The best ever 5-shot group with the Savage was .372

All three rifles are essentially box-stock except the trigger on the Winchester. All three rifles are capable of better accuracy than I am. I kept missing a golf ball at 500 yards the other day - every shot was called on for windage and I dropped the shot just under it by about an inch. The spotter was excellent, the shooter (me) couldn't seem to get it through his head that he needed to raise the aim point. I'll try again.

I've had the Remington for about 16 years, the Winchester for a year and the Savage for 9 months. I like everyone of them.

Pawpaw beat me to it.

While the Rem 700 is a great design capable of sub moa groups, it's not the only "action" in town.

All my rifles (weatherby, tikka, browning, M&P 15, and yes Rem 700) shoot sub moa when I do my part.

I have a Savage 110, .270 win, that will shoot 1/2 moa all day, as well as a Weatherby Vanguard, 7mm rem mag, that'll do the very same....... neither rifle cost more than 350.00 american;) have a nice day!:)

Someone posted the "cheapest rifle that will get sub-MOA" and recommended a Remington?

Not at the prices I have seen - save your money and get a Savage. All of mine shoot better than I can...

My stock Rem 700SPS in .308 will shoot close to half all day, but as the article states that is not craziness these days. To answer the OP's question, Even Super Man can not stop a bullet out of a Rem, we all know that.

I own a Remington 700 adl in .270 and a Winchester 670 in .30-06. Sometimes I have trouble seeing which one is more accurate. I've shot and owned 2 different savage rifles also, if you're trying to save money then you can't go wrong with a savage... but overall I recommended the Remington 700.

I own three centerfire hunting rifles, all Mauser or Mauser variants. My old Sears J.C. Higgins Mauser 30/06 Spfd. has a very thin barrel, slow lock time, stock busted clean through at the wrist but repaired with dowels and Acraglas. The original trigger and safety were replaced 15 years ago with updated but inexpensive parts. My handload of 165 gr. Corelokts and A2520 powder shoots 3 shots into a half inch or less at 100 yds. all the time.

My medium rifle, a custom Interarms Mauser in 35 Whelen AI shoots everything into little groups. Even my large bore Model 70 in 416 Rem. Mag. shoots 1" 3-shot groups.

I don't think the action is the major factor in accuracy. A good barrel, squarely fitted to the receiver is the main thing. Things like lock time make differences in the thousandths, not in tenths of an inch.

From anecdotal evidence, I would say the Remington 700 and the newer Savage rifles are the most accurate OOTB factory rifles, but I wouldn't keep a rifle that wouldn't shoot minute of angle with decently loaded ammo.

Friend of mine bought a little Sako 7MM-08 and he shot some groups a little less than 1/2 inch with it straight out of the box.

I had a Conn. manufactured Win Model 70 in 300 Wby that I shot some groups a little over 1/2 inch with.

The Rem 700 and the new Savages seem to get the nod in forums and print for most accurate out of the box, but plenty of others are quite accurate as well.

Like someone else said.. it is more about the person pulling the trigger than it is the gun. Any well made rifle of the day.. with GOOD ammo, and a well made scope, is more than capable of it.

Back