The REAL causes of gun violence

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Too much time spent playing violent video games at an early age is brain-mapping 6-10 year olds to run combat scenarios, reinforced by thousands of hours of repetition.

I agree with this. There was a time when realistic combat games were only played by people training for the military, because in the military, you have to be able to kill people when necessary. But now, all the kids play these games and it makes shooting people like second nature. Parents really need to make sure their boys aren't playing games rated M for mature. Those games are very, very realistic.

I have always accused antis of being unwilling to look at the real causes of gun violence and being idealistic, and naive by insisting that gun control is a solution. I still think that.

I agree totally. I keep an eye on the Brady Campaign and it's interesting that they are willing to blame the violence in Mexico totally on America's "weak" gun laws. The really interesting thing is that they don't acknowledge that the violence is being caused by drug lords and their product. The fact that guns are used is secondary to the real issue at hand; a corrupt government that can't control the drug lords that are being spawned.

Banning guns will spot violence much the same as banning sports cars will stop DUIs.

I think Ian Colburn made some excellent points after the incident at Northern Illinois University:

"Shooters share three traits: they are unhappy, they blame others for their unhappiness, and they don't know how to express or deal with their problems within socially acceptable norms."

In the nanny state's rush to protect everyone from anything that just might upset their wittle feewings, they are preventing people from developing coping skills.

It has nothing to do with any decline of the nuclear family. I see plenty of stable, two-parent homes where the kids are coddled and indulged until it's enough to make you sick. I remember hearing a terrible kid-tantrum in a shopping center parking lot a while back. As I was thinking to myself how my parents never tolerated behavior like that in public (or anywhere else), I saw it was my boss with her kids that was the source of the disturbance.

Whether there's no family and the kids grow up to be barbarians, or there is a family and the kids grow up to be narcissists with no impluse control, the results are the same.

#4 personally i think it is driven by the attitude of the society we live in...from what i here, people are fustrated from being overtaxed, overworked,lied to and ripped off by greedy and so called intelligent people who are seemingly in power over them....i can understand why.

In the past 30 years we have had a total breakdown in our system, greed, corruption,lack of standards, moral, values whatever you wish to call it, we have a government who splits us apart via "special interest" groups our public school system is failing to teach about America, there simply is no common bond. We now have over 300 million people more then a third foreign born many do not assimilate nor want to as they feel no need living in their own communities, as California has failed so is the rest of our great country, now we have a administration who wishes to "remake" us in the European version that is so loved my the far left.

Sad to say with our leadership and the desire for power and money I do not see a change and if it does come it will certainly be difficult.

our public school system is failing to teach about America

Interesting, isn't it interesting that the values that made us so great are so out of fashion. To even discuss patriotism is seen as out of touch. The subject of firearms can not even come up in todays zero tolerance atmosphere. Eddie Eagle draws more disdain and less respect than the late Tupac Shakur. One promoted violence, and the other said simply "if you see a gun, stop, don't touch, tell an adult." We can no longer afford to let politics interfere with a non-political safety effort such as Eddie Eagle.

The lessons inherent in teaching the safe use of a firearm run deep, like learning about the preciousness of human life, and that once taken away, it cannot be returned. As a child that left a big impression on me.

Last edited:
The world went global...but we as a people have become more and more isolated. What ever happened to sitting down with the entire family every single night at the kitchen table? How about your neighbors? My guess is that 98% of us here do not know the first names of all of their immediate neighbors next door.

Creature,
You are dead on! I know none of my neighbors. One Christmas we invited them over to our house and they didn't even respond, not even a Hello or Get LOst? Just nothing. I heard someone say once that we don't need each other any more and so we live in isolation. Sad but true and that generates fear.

Some people have no interlockiter, and it grows into a gimme attitude thru entitlements, and earlier...with no discipline because society says that's child abuse. Sorry...a mamby-pamby society protecting everyone has produced a few people that are cracked, and what's worse, they are given chances until they break. I'm glad my old man slapped some sense into me on a regular basis.:D
Point a gun and shoot somebody and blame them cause you need some cheetos? Overall, violence isn't new....the gun thing is only a development. Don't know what's wrong with some folks, and it's easy to recognize after the fact, but hard to know why.

Last edited:
I completely understand, violence is violence. But stabbings aren't going to help bring on an AWB. That's why it's the subject of this thread.

You make a very good point and I stand corrected.:D I don't blame video games, movies, rappers or music. When I grew up I read a lot of violent books, anything from The Hobbit to anything I could find on WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. I listened to the "wrong" kind of music and was obsessed with guns. The difference between me and some of the wackos out there today is that my parents gave me a strong sense of right and wrong, and reality. My a#$ got kicked numerous times when growing up and it never crossed my mind to pick up a gun and go avenge myself by killing a bunch of people.

The post-modern belief in relative morality is a significant part of the problem. As is the devaluing of human life.
The foundation of the problem is evil.

Bingo

There has always been evil and there have always been evil people. When a society looses its will to proclaim moral absolutes and enforce them then this type of evil behavior gets more and more out of control.

The breakdown can be blamed on a bunch of factors but ultimately someone has to be responsible to teach and enforce ethics. If the parents are incapable, nothing in secular society is available to fill in. Even the church is walking away from calling evil evil.

Add the loose respect for life with the "glory & fame" our current media bestows on the perpetrators and this type of behavior is inevitable and will continue.

Blaming video games?

Is it video games this month? It used to be gangster rap or devil rock or drugs and for a while it was poverty and "injustice".

The "blame anything but guns" is just as irrational and unproductive and anti-freedom an attitude as the "blame guns first" people.

Has not the old "correlation <> causation" axiom not been hashed out hundreds of times? Well as long as your Ox is not the one being gored, who cares what wild accusations we throw out.

People are not computers. Playing video games, watching television or listening to music does not take away free will and it does not excise our knowledge of good and evil.

There is a large portion of the population on anti-depressants. I would bet that that segment of the population is growing as more people are anxious about the state of the economy and people are watching themselves or people they love become destitute.

Some people, when places on certain anti-depressants become suicidal and a small percentage of people have been found to become homicidal. Throw in the general political and economic turmoil of the last few months and season with the mental illness of the day - take your pick: narcissism (does not get near enough credit for violent crime) paranoia, psychosis, etc.

Additionally, some people are losing their insurance and their income - some people are not able to stay on medication that may be helping them and I can imagine that some of those people are at risk.

Let's stop blaming the things and start blaming the beings - shall we?

Let's stop blaming the things and start blaming the beings - shall we?

Blaming is easy, that's why the antis do it. They blame guns. We blame miscreants. Neither approach attempts to change anything in any substantive way. That's the point of this thread.

Some folks have offered some thoughtful insights. I am grateful to those who at least seem to get the questions posed here.

Very, very good discussion on this thread so far folks! The like of which make this board great!

Personally, I don't know if there are any right answers as to why someone goes off his/her rocker and kills just to do so. The OP made some very good points which are spot on in my opinion. Humans will be humans after all. So much of the world, warts and all, is now right in front of us 24/7 unlike any other time in our history.

We learn behavior early and societally we have been pushing out at the boundaries that make a civilization civil in so many ways. This doesn't happen in a vacuum and the young are being shortchanged and altered in ways we abhor, but can't seem to get away from.

We are now in the information age and just getting a grip on the scope of how that will play out. So far, it's brought unbelievable advances, but do we really know the scope of how it will effect our species and ultimately alter our humanity?

Think about how you grew up and how that makes you who you are today. Then think about how today's kids are growing up and ask what they will become when our age? Nothing more or less than what we made them to be? I think so.

Is it video games this month? It used to be gangster rap or devil rock or drugs and for a while it was poverty and "injustice".

I would agree that none of these things, alone, would begin to cause an otherwise balanced, well raised person to snap on a fellow human being.

But if the foundation of a persons psyche IS bloody video games, gangster rap, devil rock, and drugs, combined with other risk factors, then we may have a problem individual on our hands. The challenge here would be how to identify and intervene before it's too late.

I like WA's brevity -
WildAlaska said:
defective human units

Let's face it - for the most part, if you read about the people involved, they are or have become "losers". And I don't mean that unkindly. Some of these folks may have been fine in prior years, even successful. But well before they "snap" they have gone through months or years of decline.

A child dies from a lingering illness and he's bankrupt and has to start all over. A relationship goes sour. An ugly divorce. Their own declining health or that of a close family member. Excessive stress at home and/or on the job become too much.

From what I've seen of most adults who do these things, they are having trouble with employment, often living with a relative (mother/father, brother/sister), have limited social contacts[1] and may be under treatment for some form of mental illness[2]. They feel like they've reached the "bottom" and will never get out.[3]

I'll also buy into the moral/ethical decline theory too. People who have good moral values and are taught good work ethic as a child tend to have fewer problems. Or they tend to work through the problems they face and get back on their feet.

As to influences from media, games, etc. Think back to the late 1930's and the emotion in the voice of the reporter talking about the Hindenburg disaster. People around the country were "horrified" and some cried while reading of the crash. Today, a 767 crashes and the only tears shed are by those who knew someone aboard. Why?

Before widespread radio and TV, people's lives centered around their neighborhoods and towns. Radio allowed many to feel connected to the country. But a "live" disaster like the Hindenburg was too much for most people. It was a tragedy if two people died in their town when an automobile overturned. But thirty-six people burned to death? They had no emotional defenses to that idea.

However, as a baby boomer, I've witnessed hundreds of murders and murder scenes. Likely so have you. On TV. We have been exposed all our lives to TV dramas that involve murder. From Gunsmoke to The Naked City. From Perry Mason to Matlock. From MacMillian & Wife to Murder She Wrote. Murder - the ultimate crime. It shocks us all (but now, only when it happens on our block).

We've come to accept homicide as inevitable. Someone, somewhere will kill someone else. It's part of society. Yet, two generations ago many people felt safe enough to go to sleep with their doors unlocked. Or at least leave them unlocked during the day.

The TV news mantra if it bleeds, it leads is partly responsible. It's like pandering to the human curiosity evident in a car crash. In fact, if you led the news with photos or video of a horrific car crash and the mangled cars, people would still tune in. The problem, of course, is that if everyone walks away, it's just an 10 second clip on the news. Never mind that the viewers are still interested, there's no death or blood to report. We've had decades to build up some defenses to the idea of senseless violence.

Solutions? I have none, other than instilling in youngsters the traditional values of integrity, morality, a good work ethic and a sound education.

[1] Social contacts often act as sounding-boards for ideas and the feedback can tell us when our thinking is unreasonable. Lack of contact with others can allow one to fall into paranoid or delusional thinking.
[2] Shrinks now call even mild depress a "mental illness" along with nail-biting and nose-picking. But this reference is for those who are actively seeing a professional and/or taking drugs to cope.
[3] It may be that "hitting bottom" includes self-induced shame for taking drugs to cope or for being unemployed. At the bottom, they start blaming others and believing in conspiracies aimed at keeping the person down.

Last edited:
I wonder what the response would be from govt and the media if one of these mass shooting idiots was stopped in mid-stream by somebody carrying concealed legally. Probably be ignored. I know I'm not breaking any ground here by warning that we are well and truly in the soup over these shootings, and I'm guessing more and more non-gunners are moving to the ban-'em-all side of the ledger.

I wonder what the response would be from govt and the media if one of these mass shooting idiots was stopped in mid-stream by somebody carrying concealed legally.

I have always contended that the first time a citizen is able to cut short one of these massacres, the tide will begin to turn on public opinion. Imagine if it happened right now, there would be a stark contrast between an event where a citizen could intervene, and where he couldn't.

While having more armed law abiding citizens doesn't get directly at the cause of these rampages, it certainly could minimize the damage.

We've seen the response from the media.

At new life church in Colorado in 07, a female usher had a CCW and took down a man with a rifle who had a grudge against the church, but not before he killed 4 people. The mainstream media actually made a pretty concerted effort to under-report to the greatest extent possible (nothing was heard after the initial story, if it was reported AT ALL). Not like these most recent shootings that are getting huge air time.

They dont want to demonstrate that guns can save lives because then they would lose ratings and viewers from the anti-gun community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back