The Original .357 Magnum A 1935 S&W Registered Magnum Found

Hammer It

Hello
While at a recent meeting of The Smith & Wesson Collectors Association, I was Pleased to locate a First year Registered magnum. The Show theme this Year was The Famous Registered magnum and it was the most Registered Magnums I have ever seen under one Roof. S&W Produced The Registered Magnums as a Custom order hand gun from 1935-1938. They were the most expensive hand gun offered back then at $60.00. You could have had any barrel length in 1/4" Increments from 3-1/2" to-8-3/4". There were 7 different front sights and 6 different Rear sights Offered.They Came in Blue and Nickel finish's

This one is one of only 408 Made with the 3-1/2" Barrel, as Well as one of 718 Made the very first year. According to the factory letter it shipped to Bowen hardware Company of Augusta, Georgia on December 3, 1935 and was sold to an FBI Agent. Oddly enough it was ordered with a Patridge front sight blade not seen on the 3-1/2" Barrel often. I speculate it may have been ordered by the Guys wife as a Christmas present due to the shipping date and by the shape of the Original finish I feel it was not carried very much.

It does not show much flame Cutting up under the forcing cone so I suspect it was not fired much either. It was shipped with One Box of .357 magnum Ammunition.The Grip's shown on it are an original Set of Walter Roper Grips from the Mid 1930's I have had for awhile awaiting the Right gun to place them on. Hammer It

DSCF0620.JPG

DSCF06172.JPG

The only word that comes to mind is WOW! Congrats on finding a wonderful revolver. Seeing your registered magnum makes me want to search harder for a S&W M27 with the 3 1/2" barrel to add to my small N frame collection.

The only word that comes to mind is WOW! Congrats on finding a wonderful revolver. Seeing your registered magnum makes me want to search harder for a S&W M27 with the 3 1/2" barrel to add to my small N frame collection

Hello wnycollector
They are out there, but not Plentifull. I searched for better than 5 years for a pre-27 and in the last two Months found a 5 screw Pre-27 that shipped in 1954 with a Nickel Finish with the hard to locate 3-1/2" Barrel shown, Then Came the Registered magnum grand Father to it in Blue...I think they make a Nice Pair, and I Guess when it Rains it Pours... :) Hammer It

Pre-27_Coke_s_1.JPG

Pre-27_Coke_s_5.JPG

There is this guy that found my ad on craigslist for war memorabilia. It turns out that he also had some hand guns he wished to sell. From the ones he told me that he had, they're all old. Anyways, he has this mystery 357 mag and he's not sure the make or model. At the time I talked to him, he couldn't locate it in his house but he sure its there somewhere. He claims he inherited the guns from his dad who got it from his father I believe he said. I can only hope that its a registered magnum. :eek: But then again, we can't all be as lucky as hammer it. :rolleyes:

Actually the registered magnum is my favorite hand gun of all time and quite possibly my favorite gun ever made. My dream would be a 5 in with a blued finish. Great guns Hammer it. I actually have a pic of one as my desktop background so every time I open the lap top I can day dream....

Hammer...

That is simply gorgeous.

Now, I know it's like new and you paid a premium for it. But that gun screams to be shot and never shooting it would be a crime against nature. If nothing else, that should be your barbecue or 'Sunday go to meeting' gun.

You guys have been had...

There aren't any locks on these guns so they must not be authentic S&W's.

Those revolvers are beautiful, very cool pieces of history. Well done to you both. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Now, I know it's like new and you paid a premium for it. But that gun screams to be shot and never shooting it would be a crime against nature. If nothing else, that should be your barbecue or 'Sunday go to meeting' gun.

Hello Archie
It will be shot,:) But I will Load the Target Loads myself for it. I do Not Plan on Making them full House Magnums either, No need to Push and Old Horse too Far...:D Hammer It

I would go farther than Archie and say you should never carry that gun unless you're wearing a very nice suit and tie...... open carry of course. :):)

Very Nice....... both you guys!!

Hammer- I live in Augusta Ga and have heard of Bowen Brothers Hardware. It was located on Broad Street somewhere. I remember hearing My Uncle Ed talking about going to Bowen Brothers. He had a Browning A5 that he had purchased from Bowen Brothers in the 60's. I have an old city directory somewhere of Augusta that I purchased from a yard sale. If I can find it I may be able to tell you the store's address. My copy is from 1950. If you knew the man's name he may be in there too. The FBI still has an office here.

Its a bit of a coincidence this the first thread I have read on this forum since joining is about the grandaddy of my favorite gun. An S&W 28-2

Hammer It,

As always, a truly beautiful specimen.

Now, the real question is -- how does your first born feel about being traded in order for you to afford that RM? :D

Hammer- I live in Augusta Ga and have heard of Bowen Brothers Hardware. It was located on Broad Street somewhere. I remember hearing My Uncle Ed talking about going to Bowen Brothers. He had a Browning A5 that he had purchased from Bowen Brothers in the 60's. I have an old city directory somewhere of Augusta that I purchased from a yard sale. If I can find it I may be able to tell you the store's address. My copy is from 1950. If you knew the man's name he may be in there too. The FBI still has an office here.

Its a bit of a coincidence this the first thread I have read on this forum since joining is about the grandaddy of my favorite gun. An S&W 28-2

Hello sw282
Welcome to the forum !! Bowen Brothers hardware store, was Located at 905-909 Braod Street in Augusta, Georgia and was sold off in 1958 by the last Bowen Family member who was Charles Bowen III. I contacted the Museum of History in Augusta, Georgia and asked them what they could share with me about The Bowenn brothers Hardware store ? I was shocked to see all the Onformation that came back to me from them. I then took it step Further and Dug up Charles Bowen the III's Home Phone number and called him. He was an amazing man to speak with, and Promised me to send a Typed letter of all his family Heritage and it is shown below.

Sadly, I do not know the former FBI Agent's name that owned my Registered Magnum, and more then Likely never will.:( Most FBI Agents are close Mouthed and not comfortable speaking about their prior Gun ownership, and to me, that is all right too.:) I can tell you that this one shows almost No evidence of use, do to the lack of a Flame Travel Line above the forcing cone, The clean recoil shield, and lack of carry wear on the Original Bluing. :)

Below is a Copy and Paste version of the Original E-Mail I received from The Augusta, Georgia Museum of History and the typed Letter I spoke of fromThe last Bowen Hardware owner Charles Bowen III, I hope you enjoy it, Hammer It.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the Bowen Brothers Hardware Company in Augusta.

The only business papers I can find are an accounts ledger for December 1917 to end of 1918.

I have not found any photos of Charles W. or the business although we have general photos of Broad Street.

I looked the company up in the Augusta City Directories (not a complete set).

In 1883, 1884, 1886, 1888 & 1889 we have a William D. Bowen, gunmaker at 1028 Broad Street, resident 1226 Broad Street

In 1889 William D. Bowen, gunmaker at 1028 Broad Street, resident 1226 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, clerk W D Bowen, boards 1226 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, mess. Southern Express Co, boards 1226 Broad Street

In 1892-3 William D. Bowen, gunsmith, dealer in guns, pistols & sporting goods, 1028 Broad Street, resident 1226 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, gunsmith 1028 Broad Street, boards 1226 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, clerk 918 Broad Street, boards 1226 Broad Street

Walter J Bowen, clerk 1028 Broad Street, boards 1226 Broad Street

In 1895-6 William D. Bowen, gunsmith, 1028 Broad Street, resident 1226 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, mchist., home 1226 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, clerk, boards 1226 Broad Street

Walter J Bowen, salesman 1028 Broad Street, boards 1226 Broad Street

In 1908 William D. Bowen, gunsmith

Bowen Brothers, hardware, 908 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen (Viola H.), home 1236 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, 1226 Broad Street

Walter J Bowen, hardware, 1044 Broad Street, home 607 15th Street

In 1912 William D. Bowen, gunsmith, home 1207 Ellis Street

Bowen Brothers, hardware, 908 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen (Viola H.), home Monte Sano Ave

Guy M Bowen (Nannie H.), home 1219 Greene Street

Walter J Bowen (Pearl M.), hardware, 1044 Broad Street, home 1207 Ellis Street

In 1917 Bowen Brothers, hardware, 908 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, President, (Viola H.), home 2409 Central Ave

Guy M Bowen, Sec-Treas, (Nannie H.), home 1335 Monte Sano Ave

Walter J Bowen (Pearl M.), gunsmith, 1044 Broad Street, home 309 9th Street

In 1935 Bowen Brothers Hardware, (hardware, sporting goods, paint, oil, varnish & radio sets) 905-909 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, President

Charles W Bowen Jr, manager

Bowen & Hulbert Hardware, 829 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, VP-Treas

So as you can see from the above, the family were gunsmiths. It would seem William D was the father and the other 3 possibly his sons or other relations who had competing hardware stores.

The Augusta Genealogical Society (1109 Broad St, Augusta GA 30901, 706 722 4073) might have more on the family tree.

Hope that helps.

Guy Robbins

Curator

Augusta Museum of History

706 722 8454 x18

grobbins@augustamuseum.org

Bowen_letter_Address_Cut.JPG

DSCF0691.JPG

Hammer It,

As always, a truly beautiful specimen.

Now, the real question is -- how does your first born feel about being traded in order for you to afford that RM?

Hello Bill
Thanks for the Kind words, and they mean a lot coming from you as well ! It's Only Money and we Can't Take it with us...:p Hammer It

Now you need to mount a rail on that thing, and a red dot sight, and hang a flashlight under it. Replace the grips with some rubber fingergroove ones, and you'll be in business. ;);)

Seriously...Beautiful gun!!

Back