The NY Times speaks on gun control

All of these killers had one thing in common, something had gone seriously wrong inside their heads. They felt compelled to kill as many people as they could in some dramatic last stand, before they took their own lives.

Now suppose there were no firearms availible. Could they have filled a truck with barrels of gasoline or anfo (ammonium nitrate and fuel oil) and driven into a building full of people instead? Could they have started a fire in a dormatory while the students slept?

Steal dynamite from a construction site? How about if they bought a pipe wrench and unscrewed a natural gas line in the basement?

Or if they had just driven their SUV across the quad when it was full of students and run people over?

Eliminating guns will not stop these folks from commiting mass murder.

What separates the pros from the anti are facts and logic. I have yet to see a left wing paper with facts and logic. Lately, the NYT has had a considerable decrease in both.

I've long been left curious as to the phrase, "military style assault weapons". Were they featured at "Bloomy's" or Bergdorf-Goodman's. More seriously, I've often wondered as to whether the people who so loosely use this phrase have the slightest clue re what it is that they speak of.

Yep. :D

I have asked some vehemently anti-gun people I know whether painting a Jeep Wrangler OD green makes it a dangerous "military-style assault vehicle" in the same way that painting (or using black dye in the plastic) makes a rifle an eeevil "military-style assault weapon."

I usually just get a blank stare back.

Liberty can sometimes empower an individual or group to hurt people, but the 2d amendment is not unique in that regard.

The NYT irresponsibly ran the Abu Gareb story on the front page every day for a month. This misuse of the 1st amendment might have resulted in cries that a newpaper should only be able to use its editorial judgment after a three day cooling off period, and then only printed if the writers, editors and owners pass a background check. Hysterics might have noted that newspapers in 1789 were only a few pages long, and the founding fathers never could have foreseen the hundred page monstrosity of modern papers, so all papers should be restricted to five pages total.

Last edited:
If The Times is the most correct and accredited press in the US. the US is in deep trouble. Bunch of leftwing loonies.

They haven't yet got to the point where they change the motto from "All the news that's fit to print" to "None of the opinion worth reading" but they'll get there. Maybe the MSM will finally get off before the train wreck.

I took the liberty of writing a response to the NYT editorial. I doubt we'll see it published, though I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do.

Gun Control Is A Failure

As a public policy, so-called gun control is a failure.

The landmark legislation for gun control was the 1968 Gun Control Act which politicians hailed as "sensible" gun control. We were told that it would reduce crimes with firearms and give police the tools they needed to track down criminals. Yet, every year we see increasingly complex restrictions on firearms while crimes with guns continues unabated. Each of these new laws is touted, just like in 1968, as providing police "the tools they need" or they are proclaimed "common sense" measures. In several areas of the country it is nearly impossible to legally obtain a handgun, yet there is no shortage of them available to street gangs and common criminals.

If gun control as a public policy worked at all, we would have lower rates of crimes with guns than in 1968. I think forty years is enough time to prove the theory of "gun control" just doesn't work. As a public policy, it is a failure.

None of these restrictive laws, which now number over 20,000 laws nationwide, have shown, either individually or collectively, any significant impact on crimes committed against people or even crimes committed with guns in general.

A government report showed that the so-called "Brady Bill," touted as a "significant step" in reducing gun crimes, had no measurable effect on crime. We have also seen how the so-called "gun free zones" have turned school campuses into defenseless-victim killing zones.

"Yes, but..." begins the Gun-Control lobby when they go on the defensive. They will tell you that existing laws didn't go far enough or that the laws were compromised in legislative sessions. They'll tell you that if only they could enact comprehensive control - either an outright ban or a court's permission to have a gun - the numbers would show they are right.

Great Britain has, since 1997, had a ban on almost all firearms, especially handguns. Yet, as the 20th Century closed, the UK quietly began arming it's famous "Bobbies" with guns for the first time in over 100 years. One story in the British media described the "gun problem" by saying that in the last ten years there have been more reported gun crimes than in the thirty years before the ban. Our own Washington D.C. banned handguns and operational long guns in the home back in 1976. Since that time, the Capitol's murder rate has been the highest, or one of the highest, in the country. So much for a utopian gun control example.

Only one set of laws shows any appreciable statistical impact on personal crimes. Not too surprisingly, these laws are not restrictive, but liberally permissive in the classical sense. These laws allow citizens with clean records to legally carry concealed firearms after taking the state mandated training. While restrictive "gun control" laws do little or nothing to impact crimes against people, these "shall-issue" concealed carry laws can be shown reduce such crimes.

Why? Because criminals are no longer certain their victims are defenseless. A victim who fights back is fighting for their life, which the criminal threatens in robbery, rape and other crimes. And, they fight to win. With these laws it the criminal who is at a disadvantage, not the citizenry. A 1985 study by the National Institute for Justice shows criminals fear the armed citizen more than they fear the police.

So, what should we be asking our legislators to do? We should be tell them to focus on controlling criminal behavior instead of trying to control access to inanimate objects.

We should also make it clear that criminals can not profit from their illegal actions should they be injured during a crime. If they step "outside the law" by instigating the crime, they waive their rights to civil suits against their victims. To further discourage repeat offenders we should mandate maximum sentencing with no parole after a third conviction to keep the serious criminals off the street.

The Gun-Control Lobby continues to push against a door marked "pull", never quite realizing that even after 40 years, pushing just isn't going to open the door. At least, not until they realize they have been pushing in the wrong direction.

BillCA,

I like what you wrote.

Two questions though. Will you grant permission for me to use this on my personal website?

If the answer to the above is yes,to whom should the credit be given?

BillCA:

Much to long for a Letter To Editor, and since it disagrees with The Party Line, it's unlikely to see the light of day elsewhere in the Times.

Years ago, then Chief Inspectror Colin Greenwood, West Yorkshire Constabulary appeared on a tv discussion in this country. Also featured was Maryland Senator Joe Tydings, of anti-gun fame. Tydings, as you might expect was not only stupid, but unacceptably rude to Greenwood. I took the opportunity to drop Greenwood a note, apologizing for Tyding's rudness. He replied, stating re Tydings comments and rudeness, that that was simply "lawyers talk", nothing to be taken seriously.

In any event, I subsquently read a book by Greenwood, the results of research he had done into the effectiveness of then existing gun laws in Great Britain, and comparing the then existing situation with what had existed in GB, prior to the 1920/World War 1. Greenwood stated flatly that, based on his research, the police time and effort spent enforcing Briitish gun laws was wasted. West Yorkshire, Greenwood's area of operation was a combination of rural and urban areas, including small country towns/village type places, as well as larger industrial cities and urban areas.

Back