The NY Times speaks on gun control

alan

Posters Note:

The following is excerpted from the Times editorial below:"But neither party’s leaders have shown any sign of stepping up their responsibilities."

Does anyone think that the silence of "party leaders", their "failure to step up to their responsibilities" might possibly arise from a more complete recognition of their responsibilities, among which are included the oath they undertook to Uphold, Suport and Defend The Constitution? Possibly they might also be concerned regarding what sort of ruling the USSC might come up with in Heller v. D.C., who knows? See what The Times has to say.

Gun Crazy

Published: March 1, 2008
The Valentine’s Day massacre at Northern Illinois University, like the killings at places such as Columbine High School and Virginia Tech, has evoked expressions of horror and sympathy and familiar questions about the killer’s motives and mental health. Atrocities like these make Americans feel angry and perhaps helpless.

Our political leaders are not helpless. They could match public shock with prompt, concerted and effective action to make mass shootings a less frequent fact of American life. But neither party’s leaders have shown any sign of stepping up their responsibilities. The latest campus carnage barely caused a ripple in presidential politics, where conventional wisdom dictates against actively advocating more stringent gun control laws.

No single measure or combination of measures can ensure that deranged individuals are prevented in every instance from shooting up a crowded classroom or shopping mall. But neither the absence of a perfect solution nor opposition from the powerful gun lobby is an excuse to do nothing — not when some 30 people are killed with guns every day in America. The rampage at the Northern Illinois campus was at least the sixth multiple murder in this country in just the first two weeks of February.

In a rare outbreak of reason on the subject of guns at the end of last year, Congress approved a measure worked out with the National Rifle Association to provide financial incentives for states and localities to share pertinent mental health records with the national database used to screen prospective gun buyers. But there are other practical steps the nation can take that would make it more difficult for dangerous people to obtain deadly firepower.

A short, smart public safety agenda would include:

¶ Requiring background checks for every gun purchase. That means closing the egregious loophole that permits unlicensed dealers to sell firearms at gun shows without conducting any background check.

¶ Limiting purchases to one gun a month in order to defeat traffickers who use straw purchasers to buy weapons in bulk and then resell them on the street.

¶ Once again banning the sale of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines like those used by the Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University killers. These magazines would have been outlawed under the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, but President Bush and the Republican Congress recklessly let it expire in 2004 to please the gun lobby.

Along with health care, trade agreements and the war in Iraq, proposals to reduce the scourge of guns warrant open discussion and debate during the remaining months of the presidential campaign. Both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama favor stronger gun control, though it may be hard to tell from their campaign Web sites or speeches, which generally avoid the issue.

To his credit, John McCain, the likely Republican nominee, starred in television ads supporting state ballot initiatives in Oregon and Colorado to close the gun show loophole. Lately, though, he signed onto a Congressional brief urging the Supreme Court to use a case it is hearing this month to set a legal standard that could foreclose other needed gun restrictions that pose no real threat to the right to bear arms.

The Democrats should not be afraid to challenge Mr. McCain — or gun zealots’ wacky idea that the solution to campus mayhem is to arm teachers and students.

Once again banning the sale of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines like those used by the Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University killers.

More ignorance from the Times, big shock.

Since when are a Glock 19, a Walther P99 (VA Tech), or a shotgun (NIU) "military style assault weapons?"

Reminds me of when the Chicago paper tried to hang the label: "Assault Revolver" on the S&W 500 when it first was announced.

They still think that if they just find the right combination of scarey labels they'll convince the ignorant masses to go for more gun control.

Last edited:
Since when are a Glock 19, a Walther P99 (VA Tech), or a shotgun (NIU) "military style assault weapons?"

Give 'em enough rope, luke...

(Those are absolutely military style weapons, which is to say militia weapons, and thus subject to 2nd amendment protection. :D)

Of course, at the web page they have no way to comment on the lack of journalistic integrity in the article.

Its not a gun issue regarding these types of mass slayings, its a drug issue.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of these types of mass murderers has been on, recently quit taking. or self modified their dosage of the drugs of the psycho-tropic family of Prozac, Wellbuterin, Xoloft, etc. EVERY single one. Not to mention the tens of thousands who have committed suicide while being treated with these drugs. The drug is the key, not the tool.

The same story, from the same source

The New York Times advocates more gun control. Big Surprise.

As far as the "banned military style items" in the VT shooting, I think they are referring to the more than 10 round capacity magazines. What they call hi capacity and is actually the standard capacity for many handguns.

Background checks do nothing to prevent people who do not already have a history of interaction with the state. While there are individuals who's past behavior indicates potential future problems, there are also those who do not.

Patrick Purdy, the notorious Stockton Ca shooter passed the California 15 day waiting period and background check 3 times buying handguns. And it was with one of those handguns he took his own life, after spraying that schoolyard with fire from a semi auto AK. And yes, he was on Prozac. Two decades later the VT shooter also passed all legal requirements. Perhaps it was because he "slipped through the system", but it is their system, and everything in it is what they wanted, "for our safety". Now, as then, they want more. The system they got put in place to stop this kind of thing doesn't, and yet they keep telling us that it will if only we would do this, that, or the other extra thing. And if we do, and when that fails, what will they ask for next? In England there are proposals to remove kitchen knives from public use, are we going to to there as well?

One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Maybe it is time to consider one newspaper a month. Or a background check before they are allowed to write an article, after all, they might commit libel!

Guns, books, rocks, baseball bats, claw hammers and TV sets, etc. all have one thing in common. They are inanimate objects. It takes a human (or at least something that looks human) to cause any help or harm. Why is this so difficult for some people to come to grips with? We've only been doing bad things to each other for how many thousands of years?

California Example

Most of the New York Time recommendations are already in place in a state just to the west of me. California has gun limits and bans on many weapons. The Times needs to remind folks how crime-free and safe California is. Locksmiths have been virtually put out of business. Police Officers have more time to help little old ladies cross streets. East Palo Alto and West Sacramento have kumbaya parties every weekend.

The New York Times needs to do more research the next time.

like those used by the Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University killers. T

I thought that the NIU shooter had a shotgun? At what point does the media cross the line between bias and spreading out right lies?

And they wonder why I don't tune into the mass media anymore..............

The same tired stupidity since 1968.

I used to lay in bed on Sundays with the girl of the week, the NY Times, fine brewed coffee and bagels (although some of the gals were on the reading level of Grit and not the NYT)...

Between 1976 and 1996, the times went downhill so fast that even the Times Review of Books wasnt worth reading.

It's a shame. Pinch has DESTROYED his family's legacy.

WildgivemethewsjAlaska TM

I have no problem with them doing a background check but if so then do it for every firearm. Once the check is done destroy the record. Nobody's business what firearms I own as long as I bought them legally. Reporters are generally lame, blowing things out of proportion to get our attention.

I thought that the NIU shooter had a shotgun? At what point does the media cross the line between bias and spreading out right lies?

Ask a newspaper reporter or any reporter to accurately describe an assault weapon, or a sidearm or a short barrel shotgun. The answers you hear may set your head spinning! Factual reporting on gun use takes a back seat to sensationalized reporting.

and high-capacity ammunition magazines like those used by the Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University killers.

You guys should read a little closer. They're not saying the two shooters used 'assault weapons'. Maybe they're misinformed, but we can't be kneejerk about what they say.

And yes, the Illinois shooter used handguns too.

"Not to mention the tens of thousands who have committed suicide while being treated with these drugs."

Oh?

Citation?

How about the people who have committed suicide because they were NOT being treated with any of those drugs?

An individual who is ill enough to require treatment with psychiatric drugs is often already a suicide risk.

Someone who has affective disorders such as those suffered by the Virginia Tech and NIU killers is already a danger to others regardless of the drugs that they may be, or have been, taking.

So, according to that article (second to last paragraph) restrictions, i.e., gun laws, really are a threat to the second amendment. And, it appears, not surprisingly, that the NYT supports those restrictions. And, they are wrong, yet again.

Once again banning the sale of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines like those used by the Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University killers.

I disagree. The Times uses the conjunctive "and" here to indicate that they are claiming that the VA Tech and NIU shooters used military-style assault weapons that have high capacity magazines.

The Times has a history of assigning the moniker: "assault weapon" to any firearm they think should be banned.

Once again we are being blamed- instead of the media accepting some responsibility for the way they publicise these events.

What they should do- and this would not violate Freedom of Speach is agree to a voluntary policy that they would not;

Publicise events in emotive terms
Broadcast the name of the offender denying him personal recognition
Publicise the body count.
Highlight any genuine failings of the perp so as to characterise him as a looser (if this is correct- and it invariably is).

NYT

The New York Times has never had anything intelligent to say about guns. Therefore I don't read it, and can care less about that left leaning rag.
They just provide opinions, not news.
John Cas

cool hand luke:

I've long been left curious as to the phrase, "military style assault weapons". Were they featured at "Bloomy's" or Bergdorf-Goodman's. More seriously, I've often wondered as to whether the people who so loosely use this phrase have the slightest clue re what it is that they speak of.

To his credit, John McCain, the likely Republican nominee, starred in television ads supporting state ballot initiatives in Oregon and Colorado to close the gun show loophole. Lately, though, he signed onto a Congressional brief urging the Supreme Court to use a case it is hearing this month to set a legal standard that could foreclose other needed gun restrictions that pose no real threat to the right to bear arms.

Living in Colorado I can say that I have yet to purchase a gun (and I have bought many) at a gun show where the seller didnt do a background check.
And yet it amazes me that Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper and Governor Bill Ritter , insist that, in their own words, "Thousands of guns continue to be purchased in CO without background checks at gun shows across the state".:confused::confused:

The slime times wants more gun control and the sun will rise in the morning. Some things never change.

Nothing would have prevented the quick exchange of fresh mags in these cases. So concerns about mag capacity are completely not relevant here. Typical emotional reactionism again.

Back