The Nastiest handgun recoil handgun?

I have a Desert Eagle .44 Mag. Some don’t like it but to most that have shot it, the recoil is manageable (assuming a good grip on the weapon). :D:D:D

Now I’m trying to imagine what would .44 Mag recoil be in a very lightweight gun.
Or more broadly what’s the nastiest recoil in any handgun?
Bond Arms .45/.410 derringer. It's a BEAST and I had to wear gloves to shoot it.

For me the worst was the S&W 640 I no longer own. I could handle shooting 38 specials through it but the .357's were brutal.

I would imagine shooting a Heizer Defense PAR1 or PAK1 would be horrible. Both are pocket pistols chambered for the .223 or 7.62x39 respectively. Shooting a rifle round through a small pistol doesn't sound fun.

I find it difficult to choose between a Magnum Research BFR in .444 Marlin, or Desert Eagle .50 as candidates for “nastiest recoil”. It’s been too many years since I shot either one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a number of Freedom Arms 454 Casull revolvers at one time. I really liked them, especially the 6" one that was mag-n-ported. I purchased a fixed sight one in 4 3/4 inch, and it was just plain nasty. When I fired it, the barrel always ended up pointing straight up from rolling back in my hand. I didn't keep it long as a friend decided he liked it.

The .44 DE is a putty tat. So is the S&W Model 29. Big heavy guns soak up recoil. The Frontier Arms .454 Casull and I never got along; the muzzle flip beat my trigger finger up, but it seemed to expend most of its recoil impulse in flip. A friend's Contender in .308 and another friend's Lone Eagle in .458 Win Mag definitely have some thump, but it's the "yahoo!" kind of thump.

The most viciously-recoiling pistol I've ever owned is my Taurus 85, an aluminum-framed .38 snub with a little cut-down grip. With ordinary .38 Specials it freakin' hurts to shoot. Taurus says it's safe with +Ps, and they make a .357 version too. Thank you very kindly, I would rather slam my hand in a car door a few times, it would be a lot more fun.

They are all a bunch of fun
444 Marlin
444-Marlin-w-2-7x32.png

Back in my deer/bear hunting days, I found a Thompson Contender in .45-70. Thought it would make a great black bear gun for the ground blinds we used. Then I fired it.......Got sold right quick.

Ruger Alaskan 454.

I managed to shoot my buddies very well with some pretty stout 454s, but I couldn't keep my support hand on it between shots. I've never shot anything in my life with so much flip and snap back. That's a big round in a short revolver.

I'd never own one unless it was given to me. My friend won't sell his, but he won't shoot it either (Although lower powered 45 colt can be shot from it as well).

Polish P-64 lol.
I still have it because it's in really good shape
but man that thing so uncomfortable to shoot.
Let's put it this way, I'd rather shoot a 12ga buckshot with a steel buttplate than that thing.

For me, it was the TC Contender in .375 Winchester (the old Winchester .38-55 on steroids). Absolutely brutal!!! 9 shots to sight it in and my hand and nerves were toast for 3 days. And that was wearing a padded glove and with a cushioned grip!! :eek:
Hunted with it that year and prayed I wouldn't see a deer, as I didn't want to pull the trigger a 10th time. Fortunately, I didn't see one and the gun is now long gone.

kicker

I've got a S&W 4" 629 Mtn Gun that is a nasty kicker when shot with full power, heavy bullet, mag ammo. I'm thinking the Mtn gun in .44 weighs 39 oz. empty. That is lighter than its 4" brothers with the standard bull barrel, and lighter than the old L-frame .357 I carried for awhile for at work, and lighter than 4" M27/M28 as well. The big Pachmyer Grippers help with recoil, but there is a distinct vicious snap/rotation with full power ammo. Thus, the Mtn Gun gets fed reloads that drive a 240 grain slug at just over 1000 fps, about 3/4 power.
A serious enough load for any use I have for that revolver.

10" tc 44 mag octagon light weight barrel

I have one of those, it is amazing. Worse than my 14" ported .45-70 barrel. First time I fired that light 10" .44 Mag I said a bad word out loud at the range..:D And, I'd been shooting .44 Mag for a decade or more...

Sucker jumps more than anything else in its power class, its lighter than a 6" revolver....

Have shot some of the 3" .44 Mag revolvers, but those, you expect to be vicious...

For me it was a friend's scandium J frame with 38 spl+p, 5 rounds, never again.
Contenders in 44 Rem Mag, yeah, nasty. (30-30 is far nicer in the Contender)

Last edited:
Back