The MYTH of the One Shot Stop

Perfect practice makes perfect...

I see Police Officers taking hand gun practice at our range from time to time. Mostly they hold off practicing until they have to qualify. A few officers practice weekly to become competent. Some are excellent shots. I've heard that most people that draw and fire their gun often miss more on the first shots than they hit. I guess that is why as a practiced shootist I'd put distance to my advantage if I found myself in a gun battle. Most fallen combatants are killed at point blank range. The cops that don't shoot as well often have this to say. Today's Police Officers have to wear many hats on the job and must be qualified in social work, traffic and crowd control, and all kinds of every day activities that do not involve gun handling, besides the old cowboy days where a cop draws his guns quickly to put down bad guys are for the most part in the past. My shooting coach always said: perfect practice makes perfect. It is interesting to think that if you have already commited to a double tap why not make sure that the gun battle is finished.

hmchardy

"I saw a pic of the remains of a tango in Iraq after 1 single .50 cal shot to the head. I think that might qualify as a 1 shot stop." :cool:

Not if bullet evaluation was the goal, since anything through the cerebrum would have produced the same OSS%----100%. ;)

Back