The most versatile cartridge ever invented.

I'd be happy if Marlin would bring back their pistol rifles - both carbine and lever (with the quality to match)

There's a reason we have lots of choices. I would like to have a nice .357 revolver, maybe 6" barrel. While you can get a pretty decent quality 9mm auto for under 300usd (taurus g2, m&p shield, etc), starting prices for bigger than 22lr revolvers seem to be quite a bit higher.

Don't fall into the trap!

The trap of picking something like a 30-06 or a 22 L.R. for most versatile round is that a 30-06 is too powerful and the 22L.R. not powerful enough for all applications. I didn't say the 357 does everything or anything best. I said it's the most versatile round. You can take everything from rabbits to moose if the range limits of the cartridge are respected and good shop placement applied. Having said that, the 12 guage with different shot may be a little more versatile I do concede. And saying I'm contradicting myself including 38 special in the mix is not accepting that it will chamber and fire in the same guns as a 357mag which is why the 357 is so versatile. The same is not true of a 38 only revolver. While many rifle rounds are much more effective at longer range, up close the heavy 180 grain 357 has more than enough penetration even if the energy figures are far behind most any rifle.

While the 223 is the most popular "general purpose rifle" at this time, there is an argument to be made that the 357 magnum is more versatile and if you shoot a 357 mag and 223 into water jugs side by side, the 223 is not the clear winner.

While I love 22s, they are hardly the most versatile caliber. While they can pretty much kill anything that walks in north America, they can't do it reliably or with any significant range. 12 guage and 357 magnum guns trump 22s for most versatile cartridge any day of the week. And for those who want to argue the 44 mag and 454 class cartridges are more versatile, I have loaded them down and they just don't respond well to small charges in large cases even with trail boss powder. And I agree the 50bmg is one of the best military calibers ever developed, but it is not the most versatile sporting round.

For a cartridge to earn the title of most versatile one must make his choice based solely on factory ammo because far more gun owners buy ammo than roll their own.

Overall best of show goes to 12gauge.

Best SD cartridge 9mm (CC)

Best sidearm cartridge .45 acp

With .45C as first runner up.

Best kids cartridge to have fun and learn with .22lr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any cartridge becomes more versatile when it can be reloaded. A 30-06 with 12 grains of Unique and a 110 grain bullet is neither loud nor over powered for small game. That said all cartridges have their upper limit and the shotgun is no exception. The smooth bore has a practical accuracy limit of about 125 yards and shot has closer limits based on accuracy and the size of the shot.
It has long been my contention that the combination of a 22 rim-fire rifle, a magnum revolver, a 30 caliber bolt rifle and a 12 gauge pump shotgun gives you as much versatility as you normally would need in the American continents. The rest of my guns are accessories to that versatility. Some are for recreational shooting and others are for specific situations outside the norm. I am certain that other folks have other ideas on the matter. In most cases additional firearm are not unwanted or unnecessary.

22lr probably has more pistols and rifles chambered for it than any other single cartridge. Certainly it is a great round to learn on and fun to shoot. Taken a lot of small game and varmits over years. Though it has been used for self defense it is far from optimum in that role, neither is it the choice for medium or larger game. Also limited range.

12 Gauge - most versatile by far, it's only failing is that its effective range is limited to around 150 yards give or take.

50 BMG - never be undergunned for sure - but very heavy and not so usable as a personal weapon - more a tool for war or long range shooting where it shines.

30-06 - perhaps the greatest overall hunting round in American history - can reliably take all but the largest of game, has excellent range and is configured in just about any hunting rifle one might buy.

308 - a light version of the 30-06, but more semi-auto's and military firearms are configured for it.

223 - about as ubiquitous a round as you could find short of 9mm and 22lr. Good for small to medium game and used by the military.

357 lots of revolvers and lever guns chambered for it. Not so much pistols or semi-auto rifles. It is a good all round cartridge for self defense or small to medium game at short range.

9mm - tons of pistols, lots of submachine guns, some carbines and semiautos. Limited range and not known as a hunting round.

45ACP - hey it's 45ACP.

44 Magnum - similar to 357 but a little more punch

338 Lapua - like the 30-06 and the 50 BMG had a baby

So the obvious answer is the 300 Blackout - supersonic to subsonic - bullets from 110 grains to 240 grains from 2200 fps to 900 fps - pistol configurations - effective as a rifle - pistol - or subgun.

And so I predict the 357 magnum will continue to be as popular in 80 years as it is today!
That's a bold observation. And one I can't agree with.

Most all 357 cartridge shooters in time. {Those I've observer over the years.} Yup! switch their preference too shooting the ultimate heavy thump-er cartridge. > 44 Mag.

Most all 357 cartridge shooters in time. {Those I've observer over the years.} Yup! switch their preference too shooting the ultimate heavy thump-er cartridge. > 44 Mag.
Yep! :) While I too started out as a 357 fan, I moved to 44 mag and quit shooting my 357 altogether.

The 357 mag has a lot going for it, but that goes double for the 44 mag. Let's see:
- Light loads for target or small game. 357? Yes. 44? Yes. Been there, done that.
- Medium loads for target work? 357? Yes. 44? Yes. Been there, done that.
- Heavy loads for hunting big game? 357? Yes. 44? Yes. Yes, both work.
- Heavy loads for dangerous game? 357? :confused: 44? :cool: Never done it, but I would never intentionally take on a grizzly with a 357. Would it work? Maybe. But maybe isn't good enough when you might wind up as road kill.

Don't get me wrong, if you like it, shoot it! But don't try to make it out to be something it isn't. Remember, even the most powerful handgun isn't as powerful as a low-powered rifle.

It's been well known for 80 years or so (to some at least) that the 44 special will do anything that the 357 will and with less pressure (less blast and noise).
And the 44 mag will do more.

Very interesting topic. Surprised no one has mentioned the 41Mag. Is that just because it's not as widely popular as the 357 or 44?

Most versatile cartridge?

HP 951.
It is the most common variant of ink cartridges on the market, and prints up to 700 pages!

Oh, you mean boom-boom, bang-bang type stuff...

I'm with Scorch.
.44 Mag all the way.
.45 Colt sounds great, but it's limited by weak original frames and questionable imports. Good in modern (domestic) frames, but not reliable in other stuff.

.357 Mag is just too offensive to most shooters.
Weak stuff is okay, but "full-house" loads are too much for most shooters. No good.

Then again, there's always a wrench to throw into the works...
.480 Ruger.
No one that has fired mine has complained.
Last June, my petite, light-weight, recoil-shy niece fired my .480 Ruger for the first time.
7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk.
Full power 375 gr WFN handloads.
She doesn't even like .38 Special.
Response: "Ooooh. How much ammo did you bring? Can I do that again?"....

To me, versatile means availability and cost. The cheapest and most available are what I have and shoot most often.

rimfire is easily 22LR (I shoot it most often)

Handgun centerfire is easily 9mm (I shoot 2nd most often)

rifle centerfire is 223 (most people seem to have at least one)

shotgun is 12 gauge (available and most affordable)

osbornk, I would pair your definition with the word "accessible".

To me, versatility is the ability to handle a wide variety of situations with little to no compromise or loss of efficacy.

An 'extreme' analogy:
One can plink and target shoot with a .458 Win Mag.
But one will find it much more difficult (and almost universally illegal) to hunt big game with .22 LR.

6,5,x55

useful on everything from smallgame (with FMJ) and better ammo anything in Europe/America

not what I would want when facing a charging grizzly, but jsut hunting grizzly it would be fine, we hunt browns with 6,5 all the time, most moose taken in Sweden throuout history in Sweden have been taken with 6,5, probably bear to
ours are not as big as yours thou but still.

most versatile rifle is a combination rifle in 12/6,5

After going over these post a couple times, and thinking back on my experience, and comparing several of my calibers i shoot, I'm gonna half to agree with the OP on the 357. But in considering the 357 you have to add in 38s, I likd go keep my light loads in the shorter cases.

I shoot it in both rifle and revolvers. Loaded for 38 velocities to full blown 357 Magnums, its hard to beat.

I've killed everything from snakes/rabbits to moose and buffalo with my Model 4" 28 Service Revolver. My 6.5" Model 27 is a bit more accurate, or at least I can shoot it better due to the longer sight radius.

If I want to reach a bit further I have my Marlin '94.

But what makes in versatile is the ammo. With cast bullets I can shoot it for about half the price of the average 22 RFs I'm finding around here. 357s take a bit more powder then 38s but still cheaper then 22s.

Brass last and can be reloaded several times. From my police days I have more they I will wear out in my life time.

With 148 gr wadcutters its hard to find a more accurate round, and SWCs are hell on bowling pins.

Not saying I'm gonna give up any of my other guns, but I could get by if all I had was the 357s.

Back