The most accurate rifle for the lowest price

Caliber should be part of the discussion too. It is going to take a more expensive rifle to shoot .30-06 1/2 MOA than it will a .308 for example.

Handloads are also part of the discussion. If I handload I can have more success for less money also.

It is going to take a more expensive rifle to shoot .30-06 1/2 MOA than it will a .308 for example.

I would not count on that as a given.

It might, but it might not.

There's a lot more at work than just how much the rifle costs.

It would surprise me if most of us could take any factory rifle and shoot .5" with it, especially with factory ammo. It may be that it's possible but how many people can really hold well enough and control the trigger well enough and control their breathing well enough for a .5" group?

This prolly won't do any one any good, but I paid $24.95 for my most accurate rifle and it will shoot 10 shots into 1/2" at 100 yds and with hand loads it will do better. I am saying my most accurate rifle in hunting rifle classification.

It is a Springfield 1903 purchased in 1962 at Monkey Wards. It has a Leupold scope on it and it will shoot the lights out with no problemo.

I would agree wholeheartedly with the others: you cannot base accuracy on price. That old battleax just might be waiting for you to pick her up and give it a try.

There are lots of sleepers available, just inspect it and choose wisely. Most of the time you won't lose anything 'cause you can always sell it for what you paid for it unless you go crazy and lose good judgement.

The most terrible looking bore that I have is a Marlin M1893 in 38-55 and the last time I had it out I shot 7 shots (I ran out of ammo) into 1 1/2" at 100 with open sights and home made cast bullets. I can't explain that, so don't ask.

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 (I challenge someone to find better!)

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. Sub-MOA accuracy is guaranteed and it's $450-$550 depending on caliber.

I love mine!

I have a Weatherby S2 in 6.5 CM. It has a 12X SWFA scope and a 20 moa rail. With Hornady 140 match ammo it will shoot a 5 shot 5 inch group at 800 yards, which is the total length of our range. Total package was less than a grand. Hard to beat with a plain out of the box rifle.

My buddy just bought the same rifle at WallyWorld for less than $400. :D

Savage 10/110 series is hands down the best bargain shooter on the market. I'd love to see someone do an extensive test. Ruger American belongs in the conversation.

Something I suspect about rifle's guaranteed to shoot sub min of angle is that they are tested at the factory before they are put into a stock. Some come with a target to prove their claim, no one tell's you it's without the stock. Remove's all bedding problems that might exist and human error that might exist also!

It would surprise me if most of us could take any factory rifle and shoot .5" with it, especially with factory ammo. It may be that it's possible but how many people can really hold well enough and control the trigger well enough and control their breathing well enough for a .5" group?

I was going to jump all over that quote until I reread it for what it really says . I agree , the majority of shooters may not but many can .

Right out of the box Savage model 10 in 308 shooting Fed GMM ( 3 shots )

guns167.jpg

guns188.jpg

Ruger American also in 308 using same ammo . Not quite 1/2 moa but defiantly sub moa

phone004.jpg

guntargets006.jpg

I bought a T/C Venture 30-06 a couple years back and put a Burris 3x9 scope on it. I bought some Hornady American Whitetail 150gr ammo to sight it in and the very first group I shot was exactly 1/2". It regularly shoots sub 1 inch groups with no problem. It has a 5R 24" barrel and a fantastic trigger. I think I paid right at $400 with tax and I already had the scope. Well worth what I have in it. I shot some 155gr SMK Palma's out of it recently and the best I could get them to group was right around an inch. I guess it doesnt like those bullets for some reason. They shoot better out of my 1903 Springfield which is what I worked up that load for. Ive just been shooting the Hornady's out of it but I have some 165gr SGK's Im going to work up a load for and see how it likes them.

Another vote for the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM

Got a RPR in 6.5 CM, was impressed with the round, decided to try a light weight 6.5 CM for hunting.

The RAP came in at 6.6 lbs before glass. I got it for just under $400, and found it shoots just as good as my RPR at about 1/3 the cost.

I did find out for deer/antelope size animals you need lighter bullets, the 140 gr weight should be saved for elk. Shot a deer last fall with the 140s at about 365 yards and it left a hole you could drive a truck through.

Just for kicks I tried to see if I could save time by loading a better metering ball powder so I didn't have to weigh each case. I loaded 41.7 grs, metered, not weighed in a once fired Hornady case, WW LR primers and 142 Accrubond bullets, as well as some other loads, This is the 3 shot group with the Winchester 760 Ball powder. It wasn't much different then the standard recommended 41.5 gr of H4350 for this bullet.

DSCN0268.JPG

Fine for hunting but I still weigh each powder charge for distant shooting at steel.

With modern manufacturing I think 1 MOA is almost a given these days, or close to it. 1/2 seems small with factory ammo. Though maybe if you try lots of brands.

What I think lacks are the details. Lots of guns have cheap magazines. Bolts may be rough. Those are things you can live without.

The triggers these days are alot better too.

Lots of rifles are not blue, but some kind of coating, I suspect that lowers costs.

I've seen many cheap and accurate rifles. Unfortunately, some of them were only accurate with bullets that were unsuitable for the purpose the owner demanded.

Remington 783 ...Savage Axis ll , Ruger American

The Remington 783 in 270 Win , with the lesser priced scope was extremely accurate ..

My patriot has that black stuff on the barrel and I can live with it. It look's fine to me! The guy's shooting 1/2" group's right out of the box are the exception to the rule. Good as factory ammo is these, I doubt it's that good. And, the weak link might be the shooter. Get someone that just doesn't quite cut if shooting and see what he/she can do with it. I had a friend years ago that loved shooting but he couldn't shoot much better than 2" at a hundred yards. I kept the same rifle and same loads a bit under an inch. Trigger puller makes a lot of difference.

Those were impressive group's but I can show you more like it, just not the normal!

Back