The Mosin Nagant

Guns Blazing

Inactive
I love my Mosin Nagant.

They are cheap right now. Good for anything, and very cheap to shoot...(440 Rounds 7.62x54R for $100) and they are kinda just naturally awesome to me.

I think I may buy another one (Ugly one for $100) just to do whatever i want to it.

I was just curious what some other people thought about this rifle, and if anyone has done anything custom to a Mosin they might like to share or perhaps post a picture?

Apologies if this had been way done.

They make a great fishing pole for when you're going after dangerous species like shark or electric eels. Just reel them in close and pull the trigger.
mosin2.jpg

I recently finished sporterizing one of mine. I've owned a number of milsurps from all of the allied forces in WWII and here's a few observations I've made.

1. they are more inaccurate than springfields and enfields.
2. they are heavier than springfields and enfields.
3. the tool marks are atrocious.
4. the actions are horrible compared to just about any bolt action I've ever held.
5. despite items 1-4, everyone should still own one:D

they are definitely not all that but they are still a really cheap gun that you can take out and plink with and you really don't have to start crying if you get it banged up in the process. I will say though that lightening the gun will make it kick like a freaking mule.

If you have one with a good bore, they CAN shoot- with match handloads.
This target was typical, 300 yards, full value 15 mph wind. Low left flier was all me. It's a minute of angle rifle.

Have fun.

IMAG0617.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

With a scope a Mosin IS really accurate i see people pull consistent tight groups...but the irons i dont think can slide back far enough, so it always shoots low and you gotta compensate for that.

I plan on buying another one for 100 bucks and doing some things to it... maybe Duracoating the whole thing,seen one done that looked .....interesting.

I love my 1942 Mosin. It is bone stock and not a specialty or collector's sample, but the wood is gorgeous compared to my other wood furniture rifles and goes bang every time. I can't judge too much on the accuracy because I haven't had the opportunity to send anything past 25 yards or so with it. I don't believe everything they say about them. Given the price point and the caliber, you're the one missing out on the opportunity to save big if you decide to pass on these rifles! And, come on, they're not that ugly. I've seen worse. Much, much worse.

I bought 7 of em gave a couple to friends and got a couple thousand rounds. They are a riot to shoot. I can't use them for deer in iowa but they are more then capable.

Edit; get a couple extra extractor pins you can get em on ebay for 15 bucks. I have broken one and from the research I have done they are a weak point.

I was way ahead of the crowd.

My dad got one surplus for me in 1960 or so. Probably paid $5 for it.

Now I am thinking of seeing if the gunsmith thinks it can be shot.

Doesn't look too bad in the bore. Pre WWII, about middle of the Spanish Civil war so who knows what it went through.

Obviously a reconstruction as none of the numbers match!

It's an ugly, clumsy, crude bolt action rifle with a stupid safety. A lot of them are absolutely beat to hell (being through a world war or two tends to do that), and it may require a lot of work to get the cosmoline out of the stock and clean up the bore.

The rifle as a platform has good accuracy potential, but many individual rifles have terrible bores and can't achieve it.

If you want a cheap plinker or hunting rifle, it'll do just fine.

If you want a project, you might be better off looking for a cheap Mauser somewhere.

If you buy the super cheap ones they are beat to hell...i actually paid a little more for mine and got a really nice one, its a good lookin gun in my opinion...and pretty damn accurate with a scope.

having to manhandle the old bolt is a great part of the fun, don't be a wiener...lol

obviously conditions vary between surplus rifles though..while my 1938 Mosin is awesome...my buddys 1948 while still great it not as awesome...doesnt seem quite as accurate for some reason and he has some pitting that makes you work a little more on the bolt....but for $100 even in my buddys Mosins condition you could still count me in..lol

carbine

I passed on one of the carbines a few years back and could kick myself, I have not seen one since.

I would likely get the bayonet off, throw it in the truck, and leave it there.

That is a very interesting lookin Mosin...I like it...nice....mines just bone stock ordered a scope mount from brassstacker.com that sits on the exhisting rear sight but its open so you can still use the irons if you want...probably gonna get a cheap pistol scope to put on it and be done for now.

I installed this custom stock. It really improved the handling charactoristics. Mosins are good but not great hunting rifles, but price is a definate value for sure. The 7.62 X 54R cartridge has been ignored by the shooting press but it gets the job done with power to spare.

Jack

Mosin1.jpg

Mosin2.jpg

Mosin4.jpg

I have three Mosin Nagants. 1929 Hex 91/30, 1952 Hungarian M-44, 91/59 Carbine. I love taking them out and shooting. When I go with my brothers its one they request I bring. I have killed deer with the M-44. Its the most accurate of the three.

One time I was out shooting my m44 and I had a guy walk literally 100 yards to come over and tell me "thats the loudest gun I've heard out here in a long time". that made my day.

Back