The legacy of our firearms

I'm with you bamaranger. Most of the guns I own have a story or sentimental attachment to them, and I have bought a few used guns that I often wonder their history. I would sell them in a serious financial crisis, but otherwise see no need to depart with them.

I will put in a plug for Lock, Stock & Barrel, an outfit that sells on GB. Recently needed to make room, and so picked out 13 that I thought I could part with. They tour the country and actually show up at your house, inventory the guns, give you a receipt, and haul them off. Their commission is 25%. I've seen other GB sellers at 17%, and my LGS charges 20%. But I think these guys earned their premium. If you read their postings, they are very detailed, well photographed, and very frank. From a buying perspective, they inspire confidence. I did very well on my sale, and deposited a nice check yesterday.

LSB is a very good business to deal with - whether as a buyer or a seller.
Honest, straight forward, and they have a guarantee that is unrivaled in the gun auction world - 30 days, I believe.

They absolutely do not tolerate any violation of their contract, though. So if someone is thinking they can shill bid on their guns, to boost prices when they go to auction, they'll be woefully regretful. When LSB detects shill bidding by, or related to a seller, they close the lot and all others belonging to that seller. Then a bill for the lost commission must be paid before the firearms are sent back to the seller - who is now blacklisted by LSB.

We have no kids but have few nephews that hunt and one been out here hunting elk/deer. Wife and I are 81, she plans on hunting archery deer/elk this year and I plan on hunting archery cow tag and rifle bull tag.

We talked to one nephew about rifles and at some point him and his boy's get rifles,all reloading stuff. We have lawyer handle everything plus what my wife want to give to her nieces.

I've started to worry about this because I have no heirs or relatives that are shooters. In addition to a very large collection of firearms I also have a huge assortment of reloading equipment and supplies which I'm sure is even harder to dispose of than the firearms. Over my lifetime I figure I've got well over a hundred grand invested on all the stuff.

"I've started to worry about this because I have no heirs or relatives that are shooters. In addition to a very large collection of firearms I also have a huge assortment of reloading equipment and supplies which I'm sure is even harder to dispose of than the firearms. Over my lifetime I figure I've got well over a hundred grand invested on all the stuff."

Looks like you and I are in the same boat and it's sinking.
Paul B.

I didn't get interested in firearms until I was 45 years old. Bought a Rossi revolver which I hardly ever fired. Lent it to my daughter a while later and bought an old S&W. Hmm. Why is the trigger so much nicer and why does the bullet go right where I want it to?
The many gun forums (including this one) were invaluable in helping me learn more. I became a student and collector of older S&W revolvers, and assembled a small collection of these and other firearms I met along the way.
So don't assume all the younger people in your family will remain uninterested their whole lives. Giving them a family heirloom might even spark an interest.

Anyone who needs an heir to hand their firearms down to, I'm available.

I have a ten-year-old son and I've told him that he gets all of my firearms when I die. Right now, he's super excited about the prospect of getting to own them all. If he changes his mind I'll help sell them off when I'm to old to enjoy them.

Back