The Latest from Jeff Cooper

Dr. Rob, Cooper came up with the concept of the Scout Rifle, but Steyr made it to their own design and put the price on it. For all that I think it is too costly, those who have shot them are mostly approving.

It's an oddball situation: The rifle will do what it was intended to do; no argument. It's just that it's an over-priced way to do that good job. Which is just my opinion, of course.

$0.02, Art

Dr Rob-
...just don't EVER expect [Cooper] to say.. "It occured to me the other day that I have been wrong all these years"
Funny. That's basically what he's said about the Glock.

Walter-
Funny you should mention the Zebra. It was the only shoot the Colonel came to see in Africa last year....and I blew it with a shot far too high on the shoulder, when I had time to place it correctly. I finally dispatched that animal after a lung searing scrample straight up about 400 miles (or so it seemed). I wasn't happy with the kill then and I'm still not. Hopefully, I've learned from that error.

I respect your opinion and would not endeavor to change your mind. Actually, the Zebra took me a bit of conscience calling to decide upon. Having done it, I've no regrets except my failure to kill quickly. We all kill in our fashion...whether it be for food, farm labor, trophy or the cull....none of this is more acutely obvious than in the African environment. As an example, witness a case of wildebest death by "natural causes", Africa style:
http://www.thefiringline.com/images/Africa/roadkill.jpg

Now, I'm not excusing my behavior simply because the lion, leopard and hyena do it. However, at least the locals got a meal out of my form of recycling. ;) They can't really afford wildebest steak.
Rich

Rich: I'm not one of those airheaded PETA types. I wasn't making a moral judgement about your hunting zebras; just making the point that it wouldn't appeal to me.

On the other hand, some folks don't get excited when they flush a covey of DemocRATs. Gives me a huge rush! :)

Back to the...

...original topic. (Grip safeties and trigger safeties, remember? ;) )

I believe they satisfy some folks hankering for a manual safety of some type or another while being as inobtrusive as possible. I remember when it was de rigeur to tie or pin down the grip safety on a 1911 for those that toted them, but those days are lost in the mist-shrouded low-fiber, high-fat, pre-airbag past. The trigger safety on Glocks, at least according to some sources I've talked to, keeps the trigger mechanism from pulling itself under its own inertia during some of the silly drop-it-off-a-building type tests that are so in vogue with every Mayberry RFD police department these days (more likely, I believe it is also considered an "external safety" for some bureaucratic or legal purposes). The grip safety on the HS2000 ingeniously prevents the slide from being racked, which can be handy when breaking in a new holster.

Just some random thoughts on the matter.
;)

Back