The Joy of Single Shots....

Dave McC, I also agree with your idea on weight placement in the forearm! Easy and cheap to do!

Regards! DaMan

DaveMcC, I just read your post about your .30-30 H&R. You mentioned you thought a cartridge producing 42,000 P.S.I. average SAAMI max might be questionable when "used on a shotgun frame".

Actually this is no problem for most 20-12 ga. shotguns. But the shotgun must be modified to accept these cartridges.

People have gotten into trouble in the past by trying to put center fire barrels on their H&R shotguns. First of all the firing pin diameter of the shotgun is much larger! These guns need to have a smaller diameter firing pin and a bushing installed into the receiver to match this firing pin. And the barrels need to be fit correctly!

The case head thrust of calibers like .357Mag, .22 Hornet, .30-30 are easily handled by the 20-12ga. break actions, IF the barrel is properly fit!

The NEF SB-2 (the Handi-Rifle receiver) can handle cartridges up to 62,000 PSI average max. But NEF wants to do the fitting of barrels themselves! I don't blame them!

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited August 24, 2000).]

My first gun was a 16 gauge single shot from Sears or Wards. Cost me about $20. Used it for dove hunting until I found a used pump action High Standard a few years later. Still have the single shot in the collection.

I had 2 NEF singles in 12 ga
One was smooth bore, and one was rifled.
I got the rifled bore from WM whan they were refurbishing and didn't want to move some of the guns. Paid 50 bucks.
I couldn't send to have another barrel fitted for that.
Great guns, and I sold them to a buddy after buying a Mossburg 500.
I am in the market for a .410, and NEF may be the one.

------------------
"Any world that I'm welcome to.....Is better than the one I come from"

Still have reservations, DaMan, but it sounds like I'm just too careful, maybe.

BTW, that 30-30 was a great toting rifle, had a Leopold 4X and some handloads that were mild but effective on local game at moderate range, just what the 30-30 excells at.

DaveMcC, speaking of which.... I took my Thutty-thutty NEF out today and shot some factory 170s! Recoil is a bit "exagerated" for a .30-30, but completely tolerable. Accuracy with these loads and iron sights was only "fair" (about 2.5 MOA at 100 yds.)

I've got a .308 Win. on order! I'll let you know if those SAAMI max. avg. 62,000 PSI babies blow me to smithereens! Well.... maybe I won't, if I'm blown to bits! But, if you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know something has gone terribly wrong! ;-)

I anticipate some substantial recoil!

Regards! DaMan

PS - I broke the 1 MOA barrier with the .223 Rem. barrel and generic loads with my NEF standard contour barrel! The trick is.... let the barrel cool between shots! I guess that's why it's a single shot!

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited August 28, 2000).]

Auction Arms has some cool Rossi 2 barrel combo single shots. Shotgun/ .22
------------------
"Any world that I'm welcome to.....Is better than the one I come from"

[This message has been edited by tatters (edited August 26, 2000).]

Of the 18 shotguns I own the 2 I use most are singleshots.My old,old Win. 37,12ga.and old,old Iver Johnson champion 20ga.I use them to hunt turkey/tree rats here in central FLA.swamps,they are light and fast.As I get older/smarter[52] I find the teachings of my youth are very true- ONE SHOT ONE KILL- Use them old single shots you'll have FUN.

Darn if they ain't, James. I may just get another one if I can find a good'un used. Been toying with the idea of a truck gun again anyway...

An uncle put together a very nice set of Win. 37's over the years - usually picking them up as a "throw in" in a trade. He had at least one in each gauge...until he gave the .410 to my father. We don't drag them through the woods, but they do get used some. John

Back